Question: Why do we still have the AP and Coaches Poll?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yes, we should only have the playoff committee because they after all rule with impunity and there should be nothing to question their authority. I can see how things like the polls and even team's records can be bothersome to playoff zombies. May be we should do away with the regular season and go straight into a seeded playoff.

I have a better idea, let's get rid of the playoff committee.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I would challenge you to take a long-term, big-picture look in order to answer your question.

The polls date back to 1936. The "committee" is the latest gimmick.

Don't give up on the polls.

And don't be confused about it. Just enjoy it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No, the media gives the fans what they want. You may not like the polls, but most fans check them every week. I see them referenced constantly on this board, so Tide fans are no exception.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
These polls used the to be relevant. But now they don't fit into the mix. So why still have them? I'm honestly confused.
A great many of us grew up with the AP and (then UPI) Coaches Poll. Guess what? THERE WAS NO INTERNET and no cell phones. Where else could se get that kind of info? The Tuesday newspapers would have all the conference standings with pts for and pts against and that was about it. So Polls were very needful and gave us something to discuss. I still like the polls and the AP is more accurate that any committee will ever be.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Yes, we should only have the playoff committee because they after all rule with impunity and there should be nothing to question their authority. I can see how things like the polls and even team's records can be bothersome to playoff zombies. May be we should do away with the regular season and go straight into a seeded playoff.

I have a better idea, let's get rid of the playoff committee.
We got rid of the "Like" button, which I would be using instead of typing, so I guess that would be possible. :biggrin:

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
The AP poll with 65 voters is probably better than the playoff committee with 13.
Agreed. I DO NOT want to rekindle the argument about whether we should have gone to a playoff, but as a point of information, this was the main point I made at that time. They said they wanted to get away from computers and let humans decide who is best. I thought, wow, what a novel idea! You want to do it the way we have for 70+ years! Oh wait...no...better yet let's dramatically increase the likelihood of bias and corruption by taking the number of voting humans from 120+ (both polls combined) down to 13 and let's even put them all in the same room so one guy can dominate the conversation and sway everyone else.

Great idea!

That said, I think the committee got it right last year. I will withhold judgement of the system until a few more years have played out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.