JessN: Wisconsin recap: Typical Bama opener offers promise, shows need for improvement

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Wisconsin recap: Typical Bama opener offers promise, shows need for improvement
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 6th, 2015 12:41 AM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 6, 2015 Alabama has made a science out of playing FBS opponents in the first game of the season who can offer a somewhat stern test, but really have no ability to win the game. Wisconsin was just the latest in a long line of teams fitting this […]

Read More Here

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Great analysis, Jess -- thanks as always. Special mention goes to this:

"If Alabama loses the chance to compete for a title because of a special teams gaffe in 2015, the fan base will go nuclear."

This is the single most pressing issue on the team. There's just no excuse for special teams generally, and placekicking in particular, to be such a weakness year after year. The inability to kick FG's with even average consistency cost Alabama an undefeated season in 2011 and (in my opinion) what would have been a historic, third-straight national championship in 2013. This is not rocket science -- even awful teams can get good placekicking.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
As usual, Jess does a great job in post-game reviews. I always enjoy reading his opinion.
The kicking game did struggle all night. But, there will almost always be a weakness somewhere in the first game of the season. I am confident the kicking woes will be rectified. Otherwise, I was impressed with our team's performance. Coker has a rifle arm. Receivers seem to be in abundance and that should prove difficult for future opponents to defend. As good as Coker appears to be, he certainly is no escape artist. I hope his pocket awareness improves when pressure is imminent and he learns to throw the ball away to live for another down. I agree with Jess, he might not have won the starting job, but he certainly solidified his chances.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I have been on here for awhile but this is the first time I have read the post game article. Good job with your analysis.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Anybody else come away with the impression that Calvin Ridley has " Special " written all over him ? He almost looks like he attacks the football. He just looked like he snatches it out of the air and then knows how to move once he does. Hope/expect we get to see a lot more of him this year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I agree with your analysis for the most part but, have to disagree vehemently with this section:

However, Alabama has to figure out the intermediate, across-the-middle routes that involve Alabama’s linebackers and safeties. It’s the weak point of Saban’s defensive scheme, anyway, but Saban’s best Alabama teams have been able to overcome the schematic deficiency, either through superior athleticism at individual positions or by disguising the coverages more effectively. Alabama did neither very well against Wisconsin, and QB Joel Stave, a mediocre quarterback at best, completed two-thirds of his throws as a result.

Out of Stave's 26 completions, 9 of those were in the middle of the field (between the hashes) and out of those 9, 6 were for less than 10 yards. So to say that a mediocre quarterback completed two-thirds of his throws AS A RESULT, is simply false. The majority of long gains were out routes floated between corner and safety...and were actually well covered when re-watching the tape. They were extremely well placed throws with touch from the mediocre quarterback. The few times that linebackers were burned were when the RB came out on a wheel route on the outside. Both Reuben Foster & Shaun Dion Hamilton need improvement there. There were (to my eye) 2 hitch routes, 2 slants, 2 in-routes, 1 quick seam route, 1 hot route into the center flat and 1 post route. The Post route, seam route and slant route were the plays that yielded more than 10 yards.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Appears we are going to get exactly what Chicago Bears fans warned us about in the secondary. And as long as BW is allowed to flounder on the sidelines, the kicking will remain in disarray. Never understood this hire in the beginning with CNS requiring perfection.

Other than that, great article and hopefully Jake will continue to get better. I thought Saturday was a very promising debut for him.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Alabama’s offensive game plan mixed tempo with traditional power running sets, something that really hasn’t been tried in college football yet as a philosophy. Early returns suggest Alabama may have hit a home run there.
*shudder*

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I've been enamored with the idea of a power running play book run with a HUNH philosophy. I'm talking Oregon fast. I remember Henry getting to the two yard line before his third TD and yelling go hurry hurry give it to him again up the gut. It seemed to work well. A thin DL would just melt by the end of the 1st half. A deep DL would be done by the end of the 3rd quarter

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.