ESPN is almost unwatchable now

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I used to watch College Football Live regularly. I stopped. I used to watch College Game Day. I stopped. I still enjoyed College Football Final. I like old Lou he was a little out there sometimes, and sounded like Sylvester the Cat. That was a plus for me by the way. I liked Mark May. I didn't always agree with him, but I liked the emphasis he put on line play for a winning football team.

The common denominator with me dropping these shows have been guys like Galloway and Kanell. I'm sure I'm not spelling his name right and I don't care. These guys are so biased it's unbelievable. I'm not talking against Bama. Although that was obvious when Galloway refused to put Bama in his top 6 when they were the only team outside of A&M that had a win against a ranked opponent. They are so biased towards certain teams, OSU and FSU, they have no credibility or objectivity. They are almost like bad guy characters on a tv show instead of analysts. I know ESPN is firing everybody, but someone has to be better than these two clowns. They are even calling games. I would rather listen to Verne and Gary do play by play on someone's bowel movement than listen to some of the losers ESPN has, and I have muted the tv on Gary and Verne. I do like Blackledge and Nessler. I hope to hear alot of them on Bama games this year.

SEC network isn't bad to me, and ESPN U has a couple of decent shows, like The Experts. I will look for my college football stuff from them and I'm gonna try Fox Sports. I used to listen to Cowherd some. I didn't always like what he had to say, but he was right a lot, had a different take, and wasn't biased in my opinion. Anyone have any other suggestions? I like to watch and listen to shows about college football, but it is getting harder to find someone objective, and informative.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I used to watch College Football Live regularly. I stopped. I used to watch College Game Day. I stopped. I still enjoyed College Football Final. I like old Lou he was a little out there sometimes, and sounded like Sylvester the Cat. That was a plus for me by the way. I liked Mark May. I didn't always agree with him, but I liked the emphasis he put on line play for a winning football team.

The common denominator with me dropping these shows have been guys like Galloway and Kanell. I'm sure I'm not spelling his name right and I don't care. These guys are so biased it's unbelievable. I'm not talking against Bama. Although that was obvious when Galloway refused to put Bama in his top 6 when they were the only team outside of A&M that had a win against a ranked opponent. They are so biased towards certain teams, OSU and FSU, they have no credibility or objectivity. They are almost like bad guy characters on a tv show instead of analysts. I know ESPN is firing everybody, but someone has to be better than these two clowns. They are even calling games. I would rather listen to Verne and Gary do play by play on someone's bowel movement than listen to some of the losers ESPN has, and I have muted the tv on Gary and Verne. I do like Blackledge and Nessler. I hope to hear alot of them on Bama games this year.

SEC network isn't bad to me, and ESPN U has a couple of decent shows, like The Experts. I will look for my college football stuff from them and I'm gonna try Fox Sports. I used to listen to Cowherd some. I didn't always like what he had to say, but he was right a lot, had a different take, and wasn't biased in my opinion. Anyone have any other suggestions? I like to watch and listen to shows about college football, but it is getting harder to find someone objective, and informative.
Couldn't agree with you more regarding the commentators "analysts" and most all things ESPN. Of course, that is the character that the cast members have been assigned / chosen to play. It's mostly staged. The over-blown hype & dramatization of every little thing is maddening as well. Anything to keep the viewer watching. Joe Tessitore comes to mind here as well as Jesse Palmer. Listening to Pollack & Jesse do a game together is incredibly painful as they try to "one up" each other from comment to comment.... It's like two magicians trying to impress each other with card tricks....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I agree. Some of the recent moves for ESPN almost look like cost cutting moves. Thinking they can basically get the same with someone less talented. I think it interesting from a talent standpoint that the SECN has a better crew than ESPN...

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
I couldn't get through 5 minutes of College Football Final with the three stooges.The Sec Now show is pretty good on SECN.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
I agree, and I simply have to turn off any program that has Galloway and/or Kanell on it. Galloway is still VERY much butthurt over the Citrus Bowl his Sr. year when Bama crushed his hopes and dreams. His outright hatred of the South, and Bama in particular, is simply intolerable.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Tessitore is like the sideshow barker hyping the act of Danny "The Dog Faced Boy" and Joey "The Human Pretzel". The only way it could be worse would be if Joey and Danny were Siamese twins joined at the rectum.

Wait a minute. Maybe they are....

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
ESPN....I watch, I listen, I enjoy their expertly delivered 20/20 hindsight game analysis that totally contradicts everything they said before the game was played.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
I quit watching any of that stuff years ago. The only thing that I watch on their channels are the ballgames as everything else is terrible. They create news as opposed to reporting/analyzing and are only interested in becoming personalities/creating controversy…it stunk when I quit watching it and it doesn't sounds like it has gotten any better.

Turn it off.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Pretty much agree about the new "stars". I didn't fool with watching it. Kanell and Galloway are two of the biggest idiots and Bama haters around.
And while we are at it in regards to painful TV.....
I am sick to death of having to hold the remote during commercials so my 10 yo doesn't have to listen to the erectile dysfunction commercial adds 5x or more a game! I know it's everywhere but can't a man watch a game with his kids without having to have the "talk"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I used to look forward to College Football Final. When I turned it on last night and saw who was hosting I clicked it off. Will not be watching that any more and I watched it religiously and never ever missed and episode.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I have given up their programming except for games. We are not alone. They are losing viewers at an alarming rate. They have too much influence in sports themselves. Except for football season, we could disconnect it and I would never know....

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As I said in another thing tread; I haven't watched ESPN's coverage of college football in several years and stopped watching Game Day last year. I will watch an SEC game on ESPN but will mute it. Seems we have this discussion every season. I would love for everyone to just quit watching ESPN and maybe this thread will go away FOREVER.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Other than the actual game broadcasts, I haven't watched ESPN programming for years. They are way too involved in making political statements and censorship and have been for a long time. The recent incident involving Curt Schilling tells me the problem has only gotten worse. Whether it's the on-air personalities or the executives that drive the agenda there, I'm not sure but it is a huge turn-off to a lot of people.

Last edited:

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
ESPN's in game audio is crap. Not that I wanted to listen to Fowler or Herbstriet, but they could hardly be heard over the crowd noise. And it's consistent on nearly every game the call. When we play on CBS, Gary and Verne do a much better job, and the audio is so much better.

And I completely agree with the assessment of Galloway and Kannell. Idiots who are painful to listen to.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Galloway needs to go to his proctologist to get some kind of topical ointment for his chronic case of butt-hurt. As an analyst, any problems in that area are likely to affect his performance. I can surely understand why he suffers from Sphincter Episodus Constrictum (SEC) and particularly from temporis insanitum defece episodum (TIDE).

In the third year of the SEC (1935), Ohio State defeated Kentucky in a home game 19-6. They would not play an SEC team again until the 1978 Sugar Bowl when Woody Hayes' 9-2 Buckeyes (ranked 8th) were slapped around like a Franchione bobblehead by Bama (ranked 3rd) in what should have been the first of three NC in a row as both #1 Texas (38-10 to #5 Notre Dame) and #2 Oklahoma (31-6 to #6 Arkansas) lost, but as they are wont to do, the polls all put the Irish at #1 ahead of Alabama. The next season, when another southern (non-SEC) team Clemson proved more than the Buckeyes could handle, Woody Hayes got so mad he hit one of the Clemson players and was subsequently fired. Ohio State beat a decent LSU team during the early 80's , but would not beat the SEC again (officially) until last season, when they came back to beat Bama in the playoff semifinal.

Until last year's Sugar Bowl, THE Ohio State University was 2-11-1 (with a Sugar Bowl win against Arkansas vacated and not shown here) against the SEC, with two of those losses at the hands of Alabama (the 1986 Kickoff Classic and 1995 Citrus Bowl). In Galloway's last game as a Buckeye, he caught one TD pass and was given credit for another (replays showed he was actually out-of-bounds), but Sherman Williams took the MVP award with over 300 yards of total offense. So his last memory as a Buckeye was being whipped by the Tide and being overshadowed by a Tide player.

He really needs to get that ointment and Danny Kannell can apply it for him.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Not really sure why all the butt hurt. Why do you guys let it get under your skin? Everyone seems to forget when we barely got mentioned. The entire country is tired of us now and it is good ratings for them. It's better to be hated then irrelevant. If you guys want to listen to homers, stay off the tv and listen to the game on the radio and read tidefans :smile:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
ESPN's in game audio is crap. Not that I wanted to listen to Fowler or Herbstriet, but they could hardly be heard over the crowd noise. And it's consistent on nearly every game the call. When we play on CBS, Gary and Verne do a much better job, and the audio is so much better.

And I completely agree with the assessment of Galloway and Kannell. Idiots who are painful to listen to.
I'm glad you mentioned this because I thought it was my sound system that needed to be adjusted. I'd just installed some new speakers and thought that I needed to tweak the settings. The audio was awful last night. That is one thing that I have pointed out at times when folks criticize CBS, their production of SEC games is outstanding. ESPN is spread so thin that the production quality is poor for most of their games. I know the pace of the game determines the amount of replays but several times last night I wanted to see a replay and they would not show it. I agree with the above comment that they have taken a lot of cost cutting measures and the product they are selling us consumers has suffered.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.