ATM vs auburn defense. Who is better

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know it's only week 2, but I think both teams played a semi worthy opponent to give a fair opinion on. So who do you think is more improved or has a better scheme. I say aTm just because it seemed auburn was playing a smaller and less experienced Louisville that quiet truthfully spotted auburn 14 points by bonehead mistakes. I think auburn's dline is improved but everything else is quiet the same. I think we will know who auburn is 2 weeks.

ATM seemed more comfortable in what they were doing on defense and is think that is largely because chief's defense isn't ultra complicated, but is effective.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
aTm looked great against a very good offense. Didn't see any of the Auburn game or highlights.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yeah it is very early, but just using the eyeball technique I would say TAMU. Not sure if either ASU or UL are SEC quality teams though so the jury is still out.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Neither are as good as ours......

Not sure why you care which is better.......

We have to play both, and neither are in our class....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Neither are as good as ours......

Not sure why you care which is better.......

We have to play both, and neither are in our class....
Well gee, you could've just said neither was that impressive or said it matters not. But people have been discussing this topic ever since both schools ponied up and got these coordinators, and have debated who is better with their new hire. So I guess after one game I was generally curious what people thought.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think TAMU is further along after one game...but Arizona State was kind of a mess but Louisville was out of sorts too.

Auburn clearly had some trouble sustaining their effort and intensity for 60 minutes. I think the want-to is there and they seem to be playing a great deal smarter but stamina may be a concern. Depth is an issue, perhaps? Can't underrate that Jackson running around in the last 30 minutes probably muted their pass rush and aggression too. Carl Lawson's injury is a big issue for Auburn. Their DTs dominated the game early but lost some of their steam late...they need Lawson as a off the edge for every-down pressure.

I think TAMU is poised to be pretty decent defensively. Chavis has been good at quick turnarounds and the pure talent was already there especially at DE (a position that he makes great use of historically). Auburn looks improved but I don't know if Louisville really tested the secondary at all. They're gonna need the DL to be fierce to cover for their secondary in all likelihood.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll be honest. I watched a ton of football this weekend, starting on Thursday night.
I didn't see one team that made me go, "Wow". It was definitely week one.
The best prepared team I saw, from a coaching standpoint, was Northwestern. They dominated Stanford, and it was like they knew every move Stanford was going to make.
But they're not going to be a good football team because they have little talent.
It's too soon to tell a lot, but I will predict this.....
LSU will run Auburn out of Baton Rouge with their tail between their legs.
Jeremy Johnson isn't even close to Nick Marshall at this point. He throws into coverage, and he's not quick enough to be a threat in their option run game.
Chavis had A@M's defense looking pretty good against a very good Arizona State offense.
The joy, to me, in that game, is that Herbie, who I really like, had Arizona State in his Final Four!!!
So much for that :)
As far as Bama, we have a lot of work to do. We're not even close to being a contender, in my opinion.
But, oddly enough, unless Ohio State looks like the Green Bay Packers against Va. Tech on Monday night, I think we looked as good or better than anybody else I watched.
Long way to go, and I'm going to enjoy it!
sip

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Don't forget how "awesome" Texas A&M looked against SCAR last season in the opening game. Talk about fools gold.........

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Truthfully?...I wasn't impressed with Willie's D for the Barn.:rolleyes: and, if it wouldn't have been for a lot of Louisville mistakes, I say the Barners walk outta there with an L.

Last edited:

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
I didn't see any of the aTm game. I thought Auburn played much more aggressively on defense than we have in several years. But -- we couldn't contain that freshman QB, especially on their last 5 possessions. The kid was just too elusive to hit one on one and forced us to stop pressuring him as much.

We are better on defense, but still have much to improve on.

For all of the talk about Petrino, his first play from scrimmage was ridiculous and I'll never understand his clock (mis)mgmt at the end of the game.

But, it's a W, we were much more aggressive and I think we can learn from that game and get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
A&M has a pair of good looking pass rushers, but other then that, not really impressed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.