Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I admit I'm ignorant when it comes to the HUNH. I don't like it and never will. I thought the teams that ran it were basically the same and relied on misdirection and exploiting the rules. Maybe Gus wouldn't be a good fit there.
The HUNH isn't an offensive philosophy. Can't group all of the offenses together.

Auburn is run oriented. Their offense is closer to Alabama's than it is to something like Dana Holgerson's at WVU.

TCU and Baylor are pass oriented. They want to pass the ball and then run to keep the defense honest.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Texas, where ten-gallon hats cover half-pint brains. :biggrin:

Texas is so confident of their superiority, they keep their Longhorn channel, which focuses only on Texas while it possibly prevents the Big12 from having a channel which would be a boon for all the teams. What's so funny is that Oklahoma is their lapdog, but I don't know of any benefit that Oklahoma gets from Texas being the lone monarch of the Big12 kingdom. Maybe Oklahoma is just like an abused spouse that fears the unknown worse than the known state of being Texas' boot stool. If Oklahoma made any stand whatsoever against Texas, the shorthorns would be forced to accept a more equitable distribution of Big12 resources or they would have to look at changing conferences. But Oklahoma is like that weak little Chinese guy in the Saturday afternoon martial arts movie that was continually slapped around by the bully, but just became a more pathetic and dependent little minion instead of leaving.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If they suffer another losing season and fire Strong, does anyone else think they will go after Malzahn? I've heard it said in other threads that several Texas high schools run the HUNH and the kids are very familiar with it by the time they get to college. If Texas fans want quick results and want to get back to competing with TCU and Baylor, wouldn't Gus give them a good shot? Thoughts?
With the style of play our HS run, he would have lots of talent to pick from. They all can't go to aTm, Baylor and TCU.

Maybe we should start a whispering campaign!

tidegrandpa

All-American
"Dating to last season, the Longhorns have been outscored 117-20 in their past three games."

Texas rushed for 60 yards and passed for 103 yards while losing to Notre Dame 38-3.

Goodbye Charlie. I don't see how they can keep him when then are not getting better, but getting worse. I read somewhere that Kansas is not the B12 embarrassment but Texas. I am sure the 'horns could beat Kansas but how much worse can Texas get?
These two sports writers for the Statesman were Strongs biggest fans 18 months ago........

http://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-if-this-thing-isnt-fixed-could-only-the-strong-survive/

http://www.hookem.com/columns/golde...-embarrassing-loss-later-nothing-has-changed/

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They let Mack hang around about four seasons too long, and damn near every other program in Texas took advantage of the situation. If they can Strong now, they'll have have to break the bank to get anyone worth a damn--and that person will still need at least 4 years to do anything.
you nailed it, a lot of TX fans are saying they never should have let him go. To which I reply you never should have let him tear you down by hanging on

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Its safe to say that the state of Texas belongs to TCU and Baylor now. Its almost sad to see how far the Texas Longhorns have fallen. I think that if Texas has another 5 win season, that the Charlie Strong experiment will be over with in Austin and they'll be looking for another Coach in the off season.

Longhorn fans are a lot like us in that they want to win now....not later. They want to see instant results and being the LONGHORNS, they should be getting instant results. The issue that the Longhorns have though, is that they are stringing a few bad years in a row together. Which means TCU and Baylor and to a lesser extent, A&M are becoming the sexy places that Texas High School talent wants to go now and meanwhile, the Longhorns are looking like a bad destination while TCU, Baylor and A&M keep fattening up on all the Texas talent. The Horns are riding on a slippery slope right now.

And well, people keep saying when Texas finally gets a QB to watch out......

The problem that I have with the Longhorns QB situation, is that if you look around the country, there are teams out there with mediocre QB play that still compete and look good every year. Look at LSU for example, their QB situation is probably one of the worst in the country, yet they continue to push for double digit win seasons and bowl appearances and sometimes, even National Championships.

To expand on what I said above, perhaps its the system in place at Texas that is the issue. Some Coaches are hard headed and wont make the system fit the player, but instead, they make the player fit the system. It doesn't always work that way. Maybe they are trying to make Swoops into a QB he really isn't. In other words, they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Honestly, I think Texas' main issue is that they are having an identity crisis and they have no clue what they want to be on offense....are we ground and pound? are we up tempo? I bet thats the main problem in Austin. You have to fully commit to a system and stick with it. In the end, Texas being Texas isn't enough anymore to recruit the best talent. Their logo alone used to sell itself...that isn't happening anymore. Texas alumni and the big suits down in Austin wont put up with another losing season. Strong is sitting on a very very hot seat right now.

As I said though, Texas being Texas will want results soon. If Texas doesn't get results in a timely manner, then the natives will get restless. I think at some programs, you can be patient with a rebuilding process. But at the same time, there are programs out there that are not patient and they want results fast. Texas is one of those programs. It takes a different type of guy to Coach at these programs like Texas, Alabama, USC, Florida State, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida and Notre Dame. The leashes are short at these places if you're not producing results fast. Its almost becoming like keeping up with the Jones's. Texas see's what Baylor and TCU are doing, and its putting them into high urgency mode. When this happens, Coaches tend to get out of their element and things snowball.
Texas A&M is head and shoulders above Baylor and TCU as well as Texas.

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
After our three Mike run I find it difficult to make fun of any other programs hiring practices although I admit that I have little sympathy for UT (either one of them for that matter).

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..And then you have June Jones "Run N Shoot" pass heavy offense & I hate that offense with a passion..Some of June Jones games at Hawaii would last 3-5hrs some games..That's arena football..
The HUNH isn't an offensive philosophy. Can't group all of the offenses together.

Auburn is run oriented. Their offense is closer to Alabama's than it is to something like Dana Holgerson's at WVU.

TCU and Baylor are pass oriented. They want to pass the ball and then run to keep the defense honest.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Before we ask this question about Texas, remember, we almost became a laughing stock ourselves from the mid 90's until Coach Saban. Bad times can happen to a program. Texas will recover, just like we did. There's too much pride there for it not to happen. Coach Strong probably made it completely understood that it normally takes at least one recruited senior class to rebuild a struggling program.
This is true to extent, but aside from 2003, we were still competitive. Even in 2004 with no offense AT ALL, we lost only 2 games by 17 points or more, and lost by 4 points to the SEC East Champion and by 8 points to the SEC Champion. The most points we gave up for that year was 27 points.

In 2006, we lost by 1 point in double OT to the SEC West Champion, lost by 3 points to Tennesee that was a top 10 team, and lost by 2 TD's against the eventually SEC and National Champion.

Saban took over a team that in 2006 that lost 5 games by single possession scores.
(24-23 ARK, 16-13 UT, 24-16 MSU, 22-15 AU, and 34-31 OSU) We were essentially 22 points from being a 11-2 team.

Texas is getting donkey stomped!!!

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
The shorthorns are 36-29 and have lost by 20 points or more 15 times since we beat them in the Rose Bowl, the way they started this year, I look for that record to go below .500 by December.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We all laugh, but Malzahn to Texas could happen if he continues to do well on the plains. If you coach at auburn and get an offer from Texas, it's an upward career move and you take it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I assure you that there are many Texas fans who are very unhappy. They were embarrassed yesterday! Looks like we're going to find out how Strong or Weak Charlie is as a coach. This may be a good week to watch channel 1611 on U-Verse. Otherwise, I'd never watch that channel. I was sort of pulling for Texas yesterday since I dislike Notre Dame more than any school on this Earth with the exception of the Barn. I honestly thought that Coach Strong may have turned it around this year, that is until yesterday.

Practice may be real tough in Austin this week.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If they suffer another losing season and fire Strong, does anyone else think they will go after Malzahn? I've heard it said in other threads that several Texas high schools run the HUNH and the kids are very familiar with it by the time they get to college. If Texas fans want quick results and want to get back to competing with TCU and Baylor, wouldn't Gus give them a good shot? Thoughts?
I had not considered that. But I think you have a good point. And won't it be nice to have the barn wondering for a change?

Trouble there is that Malzahn's stock rises and falls in direct relation to his record against Saban. So our best chance for Gus to be in Austin is a loss in Jordan-Hare? Does not compute.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
If you go to their Scout.com website, they're pretty much in meltdown right now. Can't say that I'm heart broken.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Strong's job is very much in danger if they don't show a lot of improvement the rest of the season.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
I have said this going back to last season,IF TEXAS FAILS ! Gus will be the next head coach. You can go look at my post, I said it will no one listening !

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.