Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I don't understand why they stick with Swoopes at QB. I hate to say this about college players because I know he's playing his heart out, but he is really awful. I've watched him play probably 4 games last year and he was really bad in all of them. I can't imagine that they don't have any other options other than him.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I had not considered that. But I think you have a good point. And won't it be nice to have the barn wondering for a change?

Trouble there is that Malzahn's stock rises and falls in direct relation to his record against Saban. So our best chance for Gus to be in Austin is a loss in Jordan-Hare? Does not compute.
I had thought about that as well, but I look at it this way. If the Barn has another so-so (8-5) year and we beat them in November, the natives on the plains will start to grow restless. If Texas happens to give Gus a call, he might fall on his face in his haste to get out of there. Hey, crazier things have happened!!

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
If Jeremy Johnson doesn't improve, Gus is looking at very mediocre season again this year. I do not believe AU would have even been competitive with us, TAMU, or Ole Miss yesterday, and I believe they would have hands their hands all the way full with MSU. I don't know what LSU will be like this year, but AU has a long season in store if they don't get better quick. They were out-gained 405 to 327 yesterday, and that against a very, very young team that gave them a lot of help early.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If Jeremy Johnson doesn't improve, Gus is looking at very mediocre season again this year.
I think we'll have something to watch this season in either case. Texas, I don't see how they could tolerate two losing seasons in a row. That's probably what would have to happen in order for Strong to lose his job after only two years, but it's worth noting so far he has 6 wins at Texas, Mack was gone after a three year win total of 22, if Strong can't get to 8 he'll certainly be on the hot seat.

Gus on the other hand... he's had a lot of ups and downs. 12 win season and then 8, at Auburn he had two 8 win seasons as OC and then one 14 win season. I guess 8 is kind of the magic number there to. If he doesn't have more wins than that, he won't be on anyone's list.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Unless it is a complete disaster like 3-9, I don't see them firing Strong after just two seasons.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unless it is a complete disaster like 3-9, I don't see them firing Strong after just two seasons.
Agreed, When they let him gut the team, they knew that the process would take longer than 2 years. Then again, these are Texas egos that we are talking about.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I think a lot of you are being a bit ridiculous. Texas is in a down slump and no, it may never again be the year in year out national championship contender (just like Bama may not one day.) Football runs in cycles, and anyone who wants to disagree with that worker 1) is a straight liar or 2) hasn't watched enough football and should maybe quit talking while he's ahead.

TCU, Baylor, and A&M are undoubtedly experiencing more popularity than they have since.......before my time. It won't stop them from one day being a top 5/10 team again.

sent from my big ol' note 4

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While I don't suspect Strong to be fired this off season, I can see one reason it happening - AD change. Steve Patterson hired him, and Patterson continues to rub folks in Austin the wrong way. There was talk about two months back that he might be fired. If Texas has to go hire a new AD, Strong might be let go to allow the new AD bring in his guy.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While I don't suspect Strong to be fired this off season, I can see one reason it happening - AD change. Steve Patterson hired him, and Patterson continues to rub folks in Austin the wrong way. There was talk about two months back that he might be fired. If Texas has to go hire a new AD, Strong might be let go to allow the new AD bring in his guy.
Agree. Patterson has not made friends in Austin and Coach Strong's future may well be tied to his.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Do we need to revive the Saban to Texas thread?

Edit.......I just checked ShaggyTexas (they can't use the name Bevo anymore) and they have a thread saying Saban is gone after this year because he is unhappy here. I can't link it due to, well, Texas fans posting in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Jeremy Johnson doesn't improve, Gus is looking at very mediocre season again this year. I do not believe AU would have even been competitive with us, TAMU, or Ole Miss yesterday, and I believe they would have hands their hands all the way full with MSU. I don't know what LSU will be like this year, but AU has a long season in store if they don't get better quick. They were out-gained 405 to 327 yesterday, and that against a very, very young team that gave them a lot of help early.
I really think Gus needs a qb like Cam or the guy last year. Cam was actually an equally good passer as runner, but as we saw last year, an average passer (that's stretching it) is all Gus needs if his qb can run.

Having said that, while JJ is a decent runner, he is primarily a drop back passer.

So, my prediction on the Barn this year is they'll be better on defense and they'll regress a little on offense and be a little less explosive, but good enough to get to 8-9 wins, which is about average for the Barners.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.