Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Before we ask this question about Texas, remember, we almost became a laughing stock ourselves from the mid 90's until Coach Saban. Bad times can happen to a program. Texas will recover, just like we did. There's too much pride there for it not to happen. Coach Strong probably made it completely understood that it normally takes at least one recruited senior class to rebuild a struggling program.
Here, here...thing is, I believe Strong will get it turned around. He left Louisville in very nice shape. He has a rebuild to do and has the blueprint to do it. The guy's playing with a lot of young players now that will be seasoned well in couple of years. If they have some patience then Strong will get it done. Not sure they have that faith in him like I do though.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
This is a very good point. Our lean years were bad but #Bama Problems. We played in the toughest conference in football and lost too many games, but outside of 2003 it was not embarrassing. We played competitively. Texas has reached a stage where they are playing in a pretty weak conference and still losing and not looking particularly good when they win. Agree they will be back, but it may take another regime change to do it.

I'm only a casual observer and I think their AD is in trouble.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
How can you say that? I think TCU or Baylor would beat A&M.
Did you see what A&M did to Arizona St? They are improved this year and will be much better on defense. Besides, what have either of those wannabe's done? They play in a soft conference. A&M plays in the SEC west so their record isn't inflated.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Charlie will do a fine job there. The cupboard was bare before he got there. He did the typical house cleaning last year. You should see some good moments this year, but next year is the one to really judge, and as bad as that program was, he still should get 4 years.

Replacing him would only set them back further

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
You guys are writing Texas and Strong off too soon. Against ND the defense started 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores. The offense started 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores. 2nd team defense has 6 freshmen. Texas recruited better than any school in Texas. There will be growing pains this year but they will get better as the year goes on. Their QB, Swoopes, had no time to throw the ball against ND. There's another guy, Heard, a freshman, who shows a lot of promise. The defense has some good athletes but no pass rush. Notre Dame is legit this year and the Texas OL and DL play was horrid.

Texas may be a laughing stock this year, but they'll turn it around soon and then I expect the Big whatever to again be dominated by Texas and OU.

Charlie Strong inherited a train wreck.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You guys are writing Texas and Strong off too soon. Against ND the defense started 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores.
Alabama started two freshman in the secondary last game and some people were asking what's wrong. When Alabama has a similar level of inexperience people barely notice or accept that it could be a factor, so while I get your point, some level of performance is generally expected.

I'm not saying Strong is gone, but I'm saying if he has two losing seasons in a row the seat will heat up. If he wins 8 or more though, no way he's gone.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Alabama started two freshman in the secondary last game and some people were asking what's wrong. When Alabama has a similar level of inexperience people barely notice or accept that it could be a factor, so while I get your point, some level of performance is generally expected.

I'm not saying Strong is gone, but I'm saying if he has two losing seasons in a row the seat will heat up. If he wins 8 or more though, no way he's gone.
I don't think there's any way the Horns win 8 games. The turnaround is going to be more like what the Vols are going through. The upside is Texas is in a much weaker conference though so you may be right.

Bama has 10 upper classmen on defense. Texas has 5. That's not a similar level of inexperience.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think there's any way the Horns win 8 games. The turnaround is going to be more like what the Vols are going through. The upside is Texas is in a much weaker conference though so you may be right.

Bama has 10 upper classmen on defense. Texas has 5. That's not a similar level of inexperience.
Just looked at Texas' schedule. I'm not sure they even go 6-6.

Rice -- W
Cal -- toss up
Okie State -- toss up (leaning towards L)
@ TCU -- L
Oklahoma -- L
K-State -- toss up (leaning towards L)
@ Iowa State -- W
Kansas -- W
@ West Virginia -- toss up (leaning towards L)
Texas Tech -- toss up
@ Baylor -- L

ESPN's Football Power Index projects Texas with 5.5 wins.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Charlie will do a fine job there. The cupboard was bare before he got there. He did the typical house cleaning last year. You should see some good moments this year, but next year is the one to really judge, and as bad as that program was, he still should get 4 years.

Replacing him would only set them back further
Saban inherited Shula's bunch with a 6-7 record, 2007, 7-6, 2nd year 2008, undefeated regular season. Saban IMHO is a helluva coach and that is what Texas fans expect from their coach.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I may be in the minority here, but in my opinion Charlie Strong is the exact kind of coach that Texas needs. He will rebuild the program, but only if he's given enough time to do so.

He's had to completely implode the team and rebuild from the ground up. Brown misjudged a lot of talent in his final years and the lack of discipline they ran the program with was astounding. Strong is trying to rebuild a team and a culture, and that takes time.

Shoot, Saban turned it around quickly for us, but he already had a lot of talent to work with. As bad of a game coach as he was, at least Shula could recruit. Strong hasn't had that luxury as the cupboard was pretty bare when he took over.

Personally I like Strong, and I hope he does well. He definitely has a tougher road back to the top now that UT isn't the only team in Texas that matters anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Shoot, Saban turned it around quickly for us, but he already had a lot of talent to work with. As bad of a game coach as he was, at least Shula could recruit. Strong hasn't had that luxury as the cupboard was pretty bare when he took over.
I disagree - here are the four preceding recruiting class rankings at each school before the new coaches took over.

Texas:
2013: #24 (0-5*, 9-4*)
2102: #2 (2-5*, 15-4*)
2011: #3 (1-5*, 15-4*)
2010: #3 (2-5*, 19-4*)
Average: #8, (5-5*, 58-4*)

Alabama:
2006: #11 (2-5*, 10-4*)
2005: #18 (0-5*, 6-4*)
2004: #24 (0-5*, 4-4*)
2003: #49 (0-5*, 4-4*)
Average: # 26, (2-5*, 24-4*)

Bama had some talent on hand - we always do - but Strong inherited a team loaded with top shelf talent. I'm not suggesting Strong isn't a good coach, but Saban won in year two because of his coaching ability, which is light years beyond Strong's. This is obvious when you look at the situations they inherited.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just looked at Texas' schedule. I'm not sure they even go 6-6.
My take on that though is there's no way Texas fans will take a season like that well. I'm not saying Strong will be gone, I'm not saying he should be gone, but the seat will heat up that's for sure and if they think they can get a guy they really want, I'm betting some behind the scenes will be pushing for that.

Remember (not necessarily you, heh) this is a program that wanted to push Mack out a couple seasons removed from going to the title game, because he only won 8 games. They won't have a lot of patience with Strong and their expectations are that he will win 10+ games every year. Mack did it for a very long time, he was their most successful coach ever, and as soon as he stopped doing it they wanted him gone. They didn't bring in Strong for anything short of consistent excellence (for the record Mack started out 9-3 at Texas)

Saban inherited Shula's bunch with a 6-7 record, 2007, 7-6, 2nd year 2008, undefeated regular season. Saban IMHO is a helluva coach and that is what Texas fans expect from their coach.
Exactly, it might be unrealistic but they didn't bring in a coach to have 6 and 7 win seasons. They want nothing short of being in the championship hunt every year.

Edit: I might also add that for like... the first time ever Texas really is legitimately vulnerable. Texas A&M in the SEC has grown up to national prominence, and is a threat on the field and off. Along with that, the move to bring in TCU to kind of maintain regional strength has backfired a bit. TCU is a contender now and so is Baylor.

So, in the big scheme Nebraska left, ok they weren't in Texas, Colorado left, same, Missouri, same... they brought in TCU and made them stronger, Baylor got stronger in the state, and Texas A&M got stronger in the state. They have cause to be worried.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Texas will always have great players on the team & has talent on the team right now simply cause the majority of the best Texas high school football players, wants to play for Texas Long Horns..I agree Texas problem right now is the over stay of Mack brown & the lack of Mack Brown coaching up his kids..Discipline under Mack Brown was thrown out the window years ago & the program that many coaches & players over the years built up, was torn down by Mack over staying his welcome there & will take more than 1 or 2yrs for Strong or any HC to fix..

Another factor working against Texas is that so many of the high schools in Texas plays out of the HUNH offense now days cause that's the offense Mack went with at Texas years ago & when they get to college has to learn the physical part of college football that's played in Alabama & the SEC..
I may be in the minority here, but in my opinion Charlie Strong is the exact kind of coach that Texas needs. He will rebuild the program, but only if he's given enough time to do so.

He's had to completely implode the team and rebuild from the ground up. Brown misjudged a lot of talent in his final years and the lack of discipline they ran the program with was astounding. Strong is trying to rebuild a team and a culture, and that takes time.

Personally I like Strong, and I hope he does well. He definitely has a tougher road back to the top now that UT isn't the only team in Texas that matters anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Discipline under Mack Brown was thrown out the window years ago & the program that many coaches & players over the years built up, was torn down by Mack over staying his welcome there & will take more than 1 or 2yrs for Strong or any HC to fix.
How quickly we forget - Shula's Bama teams were among the east disciplined Alabama history!

Strong may be a good coach, but it seems some here forget how bad the Alabama football program was when Shula left. Don't forget Juwan Simpson's ice cream cone (or the other arrests) or the number of players that were run off in CNS's first two seasons. Heck, we won the Fulmer Cup in 2008 - thanks to Shula's awesome discipline...

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Texas will always have great players on the team & has talent on the team right now simply cause the majority of the best Texas high school football players, wants to play for Texas Long Horns.
That is not the case anymore. Baylor so far has the top rated recruiting class in the Big 12 for next season. TCU is close behind them at 3 or 4 I believe. Texas is behind both of them.

The state of Texas belongs to TCU, Baylor and A&M. Arguably in that order.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.