Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
That is not the case anymore. Baylor so far has the top rated recruiting class in the Big 12 for next season. TCU is close behind them at 3 or 4 I believe. Texas is behind both of them.

The state of Texas belongs to TCU, Baylor and A&M. Arguably in that order.
TCU and Baylor are prospering because of the demise of Oklahoma and Texas. When they return to their rightful place, and they will, so will those pretenders. A&M is prospering because of its move to the SEC. One only needs to look at facility upgrades to see that. They will continue to do well.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't deny that one iota, we had major discipline problems under Shula, just like they did right before Mack left, it felt like in both programs the players ran the programs instead of the HC's at both schools..
How quickly we forget - Shula's Bama teams were among the east disciplined Alabama history!

Strong may be a good coach, but it seems some here forget how bad the Alabama football program was when Shula left. Don't forget Juwan Simpson's ice cream cone (or the other arrests) or the number of players that were run off in CNS's first two seasons. Heck, we won the Fulmer Cup in 2008 - thanks to Shula's awesome discipline...
That's very much true..Even if Texas finished 3rd in instate recruiting, there's soooo much top talent in the State Of Texas, they should always finish in the Top 15 or 20 every year nationally recruiting..They will have a team full of talent no matter what..
That is not the case anymore. Baylor so far has the top rated recruiting class in the Big 12 for next season. TCU is close behind them at 3 or 4 I believe. Texas is behind both of them.

The state of Texas belongs to TCU, Baylor and A&M. Arguably in that order.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How quickly we forget - Shula's Bama teams were among the east disciplined Alabama history!
You know what's funny about that? We'd gotten so used to lax discipline DURING the game from DuBose, we didn't even recognize it was as bad as it was.

But you're dead on right.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Talked to my Longhorn buddy today here - the one who has never once given the Colt McCoy excuse (heck, he thought we were the better team but was hoping they'd do to us what they did to USC).

He's, well, not happy. He said Texas would be lucky to win six games this year and eight is completely out of the question. He DID say that he suspects Strong will be given one more year to right the ship - and then he pointed to Bielema at Arkansas as someone who has turned that nightmare around and got it heading in the right direction anyway. He also said there's already grumblings from the 'we weren't on board' alumni over the fact Strong is black and wasn't exactly welcome here by a lot of them in the first place. He also said that those same guys were a major reason Saban would never come here anyway - and suggested that even if he was interested two years ago, the way they went about that was terrible.

His suggestion is that if it doesn't improve, Chad Morris at SMU is a guy they're looking at as someone who would actually come to UT.He was something of a Malzahn-esque high school legend around here supposably.

He admitted that Notre Dame is pretty good, but he said the telling play of the game was there was one play where ND had three guys on the line to rush against five O-linemen and all three got through in pursuit of the QB. He was just shaking his head over that one.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
TCU and Baylor are prospering because of the demise of Oklahoma and Texas. When they return to their rightful place, and they will, so will those pretenders. A&M is prospering because of its move to the SEC. One only needs to look at facility upgrades to see that. They will continue to do well.
THIS

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Ummm...why do people keep comparing Strongs second year to Saban's. Is this a joke?

He's not Saban. Thank God we have Saban, and no one else does.

Next Texas was trash when Strong arrived. The year before they had no players drafted. Many players were cut out, and it's a very young team still.

He still immediately turned them into a top 25 defensive team, with no offensive help. They're working on the offense, or totally developing it.

There were some savvy vets on that 2008 Bams team, strong O line including a dominant lineman named andre smith, who would've been a top pick in 2007.

Also, due to a dominant in state class, Alabama acquired Julio Jones. With a dominant line, and super freak freshman playmaker Alabama rebuild was jump started. Not to mention a senior QB 2 years under Saban

I believe Bama was a top 20 defense prior to Saban, and he certainly improved that. And like I said with the foundation on the offensive line, and some freakish freshmen, things worked out. Also veterans like Terrence Cody.

Texas was a bottom half offense and defense prior to Strong, and we're comparing his 2nd year to Saban's after 1 game.

Just hold on a bit in this thread.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It is not the Win/Loss record that is the problem for Charlie Strong. It is how pitiful they play. They are just plain awful and getting worse. I think they need a no nonsense HC but if they keep getting blown out he will be gone very soon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
His suggestion is that if it doesn't improve, Chad Morris at SMU is a guy they're looking at as someone who would actually come to UT.He was something of a Malzahn-esque high school legend around here supposably.
So fire Charlie Strong and his 64% winning percentage and 6 bowl game appearances to hire a guy in his first year as a collegiate head coach?

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I do not post much at all anymore because I coach college ball and its frowned at but college staffs do check boards so heads up with teams Bama plays and Bama staff haha. But I am a big strong fan and think he will turn it around. Heck I am coaching at a college and trying to change tradition and the mindset and it is not easy. Give it time.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Teams and programs have to start somewhere. While I agree with you that a part of it is because of OU and Texas being down, I don't think it necessarily means that TCU and Baylor go back to the end of the line when/if OU and Texas finally rights the ships. TCU and Baylor have been doing really well with 2-3 star recruits ever since Gary Patterson and Art Briles got to those programs. Its just that now 4-5 star recruits are beginning to knock on their doors (or vice versa)

Patterson and Briles have the pulse of Texas High School talent along with the Coaches. They see what many think is a 2-3 star recruit, and turn them into a 4-5 star type of player just because they have the tools due to being in the Texas HS coaching circles to dig up diamonds out of the rough due to knowing people.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Unless the wheels come completely off Strong is safe.

He'll beat someone he shouldn't along the way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The way things are going, 'someone he shouldn't' will soon be 'anyone on the schedule'... [emoji3]
You're right about that.

I only see five wins on the schedule, luckily the back half of their schedule is more manageable than the early schedule. If he finishes on a high note people will have the perception the ship is going in the right direction (see Arkansas 2014).

I think next year he has to give at least 8-9 wins to keep his job though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So fire Charlie Strong and his 64% winning percentage and 6 bowl game appearances to hire a guy in his first year as a collegiate head coach?
It wouldn't be the first time. (He was NOT advocating it, he was saying don't be surprised).

Why did Ty Willingham get replaced by Charlie Weiss? We all know the answer to that one. Willingham surely needed to go (as his subsequent job at Washington proved), but why was he let go? We know why.

It's the exact same reason Auburn hired Gene Chizik over Turner Gill.

Remember - this IS Texas we're talking about. Leave logic and common sense at the door.

Remember - this is a program that had WILL MUSCHAMP as head coach in waiting despite him never being a head coach anywhere at any level. A program that fired it's 2nd most successful coach ever in a safari to rope Nick Saban. A program that has broken up two conferences in the last 20 years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To reiterate, don't question the crazy of Texas. They fired two of their most successful coaches ever (basketball and football) basically under the what have you done for me lately premise.

They are far more vulnerable than ever. Is TCU and Baylor a long-term threat? May be not, but they are a threat now. Not only that, but Texas A&M is now a threat unlike they have ever seen. Along with that, along with the emergence of TCU (their own stupidity lead to that), and Baylor, it's not like Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri just vanished. They now are facing challenges on all fronts and for once there is more at stake than just not winning. They could lose valuable territory to other programs. I felt like a move to the Pac-12 could break their monopoly over the state, but it seems the other moves might be starting that process either way.

Can Texas ever be unseated as the top in state program? Perhaps not, but remember how well Auburn seems to take advantage of Alabama being down? Same thing here, if Texas can't get it together, and fast, those other guys are going to take full advantage. The thing is Texas is used to being unchallenged, they are used to complete dominance, I'm not sure how they can deal with any real rival other than the Oklahoma relationship.

So, what's the best thing to do with Strong? I think most of us would argue you give him at least three years. But, this is Texas we're talking about, a wounded Texas at that. Another terrible season from Texas and things over there are going to get really unsettled. The scariest thing, and this is something that I'm sure scares them to death, is that Strong turns out to be a trainwreck that leaves their program in shambles.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
To reiterate, don't question the crazy of Texas. They fired two of their most successful coaches ever (basketball and football) basically under the what have you done for me lately premise.

They are far more vulnerable than ever. Is TCU and Baylor a long-term threat? May be not, but they are a threat now. Not only that, but Texas A&M is now a threat unlike they have ever seen. Along with that, along with the emergence of TCU (their own stupidity lead to that), and Baylor, it's not like Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri just vanished. They now are facing challenges on all fronts and for once there is more at stake than just not winning. They could lose valuable territory to other programs. I felt like a move to the Pac-12 could break their monopoly over the state, but it seems the other moves might be starting that process either way.

Can Texas ever be unseated as the top in state program? Perhaps not, but remember how well Auburn seems to take advantage of Alabama being down? Same thing here, if Texas can't get it together, and fast, those other guys are going to take full advantage. The thing is Texas is used to being unchallenged, they are used to complete dominance, I'm not sure how they can deal with any real rival other than the Oklahoma relationship.

So, what's the best thing to do with Strong? I think most of us would argue you give him at least three years. But, this is Texas we're talking about, a wounded Texas at that. Another terrible season from Texas and things over there are going to get really unsettled. The scariest thing, and this is something that I'm sure scares them to death, is that Strong turns out to be a trainwreck that leaves their program in shambles.
I agree. Texas knows only one way to operate and that is "throw you weight around, be the 500 lb. gorilla." From all you mentioned to the AD who can't seem to do much right except throw his weight around. From top to bottom a train wreck.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Teams and programs have to start somewhere. While I agree with you that a part of it is because of OU and Texas being down, I don't think it necessarily means that TCU and Baylor go back to the end of the line when/if OU and Texas finally rights the ships. TCU and Baylor have been doing really well with 2-3 star recruits ever since Gary Patterson and Art Briles got to those programs. Its just that now 4-5 star recruits are beginning to knock on their doors (or vice versa)

Patterson and Briles have the pulse of Texas High School talent along with the Coaches. They see what many think is a 2-3 star recruit, and turn them into a 4-5 star type of player just because they have the tools due to being in the Texas HS coaching circles to dig up diamonds out of the rough due to knowing people.
Briles and Patterson are top coaches IMO but should Texas turn it around (I hope they never do) things will revert back to the way it was. If they had any sense, they should have made a play for Patterson or maybe did I don't know.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

This is what I'm hearing...they have coaches who know Texas HS football and have in-roads that UT does not have anymore. Also, TA&M is also forging these relationships really well. There are more than enough Texas HS players to go around...BU and TCU will not go away under their current regimes...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.