Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like some of these opinions are from people who didn't watch the game. Texas was down by 14 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. They were being soundly beaten at the LOS on both sides of the ball. The QB had no time to throw the ball and was running for his life. ND was playing inspired for the home opener. But this didn't look like Bama playing Georgia Southern. Texas clearly has some good athletes, they're just not playing team ball yet and young guys are getting schooled.

There's no way to evaluate from THIS game what Texas potential is or even if the coaches are good or bad.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like some of these opinions are from people who didn't watch the game. Texas was down by 14 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. They were being soundly beaten at the LOS on both sides of the ball. The QB had no time to throw the ball and was running for his life. ND was playing inspired for the home opener. But this didn't look like Bama playing Georgia Southern. Texas clearly has some good athletes, they're just not playing team ball yet and young guys are getting schooled.

There's no way to evaluate from THIS game what Texas potential is or even if the coaches are good or bad.
How about the last three games? Blown out in all three and that does not bode well for Charlie Strong.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
TCU and Baylor are prospering because of the demise of Oklahoma and Texas. When they return to their rightful place, and they will, so will those pretenders. A&M is prospering because of its move to the SEC. One only needs to look at facility upgrades to see that. They will continue to do well.
I'm not sure it will be as simple as that. There's enough talent in Texas to feed Texas, Aggie, TCU, and Baylor with solid talent. Whoever's on top, the lure of early playing time will keep the other schools stocked--provided they have a coach who had demonstrated.

Whether Strong will get enough time to turn things around is anyone's guess--I'd think that he needs at least two more years He was starting pretty much from scratch--like TN after Fulmer.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm not sure it will be as simple as that. There's enough talent in Texas to feed Texas, Aggie, TCU, and Baylor with solid talent. Whoever's on top, the lure of early playing time will keep the other schools stocked--provided they have a coach who had demonstrated.

Whether Strong will get enough time to turn things around is anyone's guess--I'd think that he needs at least two more years He was starting pretty much from scratch--like TN after Fulmer.
When the Longhorns are doing well, they pretty much get who they want. The real problem for TCU and Baylor is being below not only Texas in the pecking order but A&M and Oklahoma. Then they have to deal with perennial powers from around the country like Alabama cherry picking the state.

UnNFormedFan

Scout Team
Dec 22, 2009
Mobile
I remember not too long ago another fan base on the downside looking up. Let's not cast stones... Not every hire is a good one just like not every fire doesn't necessarily do what is expected.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So fire Charlie Strong and his 64% winning percentage and 6 bowl game appearances to hire a guy in his first year as a collegiate head coach?
From my perspective, I'm not saying fire Strong, but Texas is scared and it's hard to objectively say he's doing a good job.

You don't do stuff like this after the first game unless something is wrong and you know something is wrong (the only other option is that there is already meddling going on). This is never a good sign:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...levate-receivers-coach-jay-norvell-playcaller
"Strong demoted co-offensive coordinators Shawn Watson and Joe Wickline on Tuesday and named receivers coach Jay Norvell his new playcaller."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From my perspective, I'm not saying fire Strong, but Texas is scared and it's hard to objectively say he's doing a good job.

You don't do stuff like this after the first game unless something is wrong and you know something is wrong (the only other option is that there is already meddling going on). This is never a good sign:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...levate-receivers-coach-jay-norvell-playcaller
"Strong demoted co-offensive coordinators Shawn Watson and Joe Wickline on Tuesday and named receivers coach Jay Norvell his new playcaller."
Heard that this morning on the radio. Changing assistants tends to be the first step in a head coach's attempt at saving his job.

The decision came a few hours after Steve Patterson had a press conference and was asked if Strong could make staff changes without discussing them with Patterson. Could just be timing. Link

One day after Texas football coach Charlie Strong vowed to reevaluate his entire program after a blowout loss to Notre Dame in the Longhorns’ season opener, his boss said he isn’t pushing Strong to reshuffle his staff.

UT athletic director Steve Patterson said Tuesday despite intensifying public criticism of offensive play-caller Shawn Watson — whose unit has delivered three abysmal performances in a row dating back to last season — Patterson hasn’t made any suggestions to Strong about changes.

“I’m not going to coach the football team,” Patterson said. “That’s his job.”

If Strong wanted to make a change, Patterson was asked, does he have the authority to do it in the middle of the season?

“That’s his prerogative,” Patterson said. “How he assigns the work of his staff, that’s his job.”

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas is broken from the top down. I have serious doubts that Charlie Strong is the right guy to rebuild that program. Perhaps if the entire AD wasn't a garbage fire, he could do it. They will have to hit rock bottom, clean out the cess pool, and rebuild their leadership team before the football program will ever have a solid chance to rebuild.

They are in a similar place that we were back in 2000 or so, before Mal Moore, Robert Witt, etc. Only except Alabama, for all of our arrogance as a football fan base, can't hold a candle to Texas's sense of entitlement and arrogance.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Changing coordinators after the first game says one thing very loudly - the HC is not a good manager. At all. This is a terrible sign for those who expect Strong to salvage football at Texas.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Changing coordinators after the first game says one thing very loudly - the HC is not a good manager. At all. This is a terrible sign for those who expect Strong to salvage football at Texas.
Strange thing about this move is Shawn Watson was his OC at Louisville. They've been together for several years now. Not like they just started and became evident things weren't going to work.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Texas has a chain of influence that can't help but get in its own way. Honestly, they could look at Alabama as see where that gets you. But they're Texas, so they're different.
I can't recall a time when shaking up the structure like that mid-season has worked out.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Play calling wasn't the problem in the Texas/ND game. When ND played Alabama, play calling was not ND's problem.

They're panicking.

Here's a post from hornfans.com by Dan Neil, a former All American Texas lineman who played for the Denver Broncos for 8 years. It's pretty long but I liked the "level-headedness" of his thoughts.

Offensive lineman Dan Neil was a Texas Longhorns 4-year starter and 2-time All-American. He played 8 years with the Denver Broncos (starting for 7 years) and was a two-time Super Bowl winner. Dan thinks Texas needs to move toward Jerrod Heard and/or Kai Locksley at QB because he doesn't see championship pedigree in Tyrone Swoopes.

Here's his take on UT's OL/Wickline after Saturday's game...

It is hard to watch a game like the one I watched Saturday night and not be able to do something about it. As a fan, I sympathize with everyone when we see a performance like we did against Notre Dame.

When you play football long enough you learn to find the positive out of the situation. You have to find the positive when you lose the opening game because it is a long season.

A lot can change from week to week and most importantly, the opponent usually changes. Rice may be what the doctor ordered for this team. The Owls have a veteran, dual-threat in senior QB Driphus Jackson and a 1,000-yard rusher in RB Jowan Davis. But Rice has three new OL starters and only three starters back on defense from a team that beat Fresno State 30-6 in the Hawaii Bowl last season.

And make no mistake, Rice's David Bailiff can coach. You don't have two, 10-win seasons (2008, 2013) at Rice without being a good coach.

But the Longhorns are coming home - hopefully to a house full of fans. And that leads me to expectations.

As I heard fans talk last week about how Texas was going to win the Notre Dame game I reminded them the O-line was bad last year, and three of those players were back this year.

The only difference? Two true freshmen were going to start.

Two true freshmen starting are not going to save your offensive line on the road against Notre Dame, which had six of seven starters up front on defense back this season.

The quarterback needs to step up in the pocket, know where his bailout is when protection breaks down and be accurate on the short and intermediate routes that move the chains. Do these things and the offense is instantly better.

I saw a lot more opportunity for Tyrone Swoopes to make some plays. But either he left the pocket before the rush truly got there, didn't know where to bail out with his eyes still downfield or simply missed on his throws.

Texas didn't do the little things offensively Saturday night, and that is why they scored 3 points off of one single pass play.

Football is a simple game and this allows simple minded people like me to be able to play it. I watch the center snap the ball and see what the 5 guys up front do against the 7 guys on the other side of the ball.

What I look for first is knowledge and effort. Those two things are a must, a given and are inexcusable if absent.

All players will be beat physically at times. Effort and knowing your job is up to you. If I don’t see these two things, I would keep going through the roster to find someone who will do these two things. If they're not on the roster, you're in trouble, and you go find it in recruiting. And Charlie Strong is bringing in guys who will always give you effort. He doesn't have enough of them yet. From a depth standpoint, he probably needs one more recruiting class to get there.

Give me 5 offensive lineman who know their job and give great effort, and we can go win a few games. Give me 5 who can do these two things with talent, and we can go win a championship.

After watching the first series, I can tell you that this offensive line is night and day better than last year. Why? Because of what I saw from Connor Williams' technique. If that's what Joe Wickline is teaching, then I come away from the Notre Dame game convinced Joe Wickline is a top offensive line coach.

I can see what he wants these guys to do, and he finally has a guy in Williams who can actually do it.

Last year, Texas was not athletically gifted enough on the OL to execute the scheme Wickline wants.

What he wants are athletic guys who can move - and not slow guys who are fat. He inherited a program that had slow, fat guys.

When I was in Denver, we were the smallest line in the league. Our three inside guys (two guards and center) averaged 285. Yet somehow, we led the league in rushing every year and blocked for a 2,000 rusher (Terrell Davis).

We did this by understanding the scheme and being quick. This line will get there. And Wickline is the kind of coach to get them there.

What I have enjoyed this week is idiot analysts trying to break down the offense line. You would be shocked how many people in football don’t know what the offensive line is doing.

Almost no one outside of football knows what the offensive line is doing. When you read about the play of offensive lineman, always check your source. Never trust anyone who has not either coached or played the position, and I don’t mean played it in high school.

Below is what I see when I watched film of the Texas offensive line Saturday night:

1. LT Connor Williams is the best offensive player on this team - not just offensive lineman - best offensive player on this team. I don’t care that he is a freshman. He plays hard and knows what he is doing. Four more guys like him, and Texas will win some games.

He needs to improve in his pass blocking, as does every young lineman. Pass pro is the hardest thing to master. Not one high school offensive lineman understands how to pass pro. They have never faced rushers like they will see in college.

In high school, you can get away with being aggressive in pass blocking. In college you have to learn perfect technique - while going backwards. Not easy to do.

What I like most from Williams was his cutting. When you cut backside you create seams that Vahe could run through. It also slows downs the pass rusher on pass plays. I survived 8 years in Denver cutting guys. I love it!

2. Freshman OG Patrick Vahe has promise, but has a long way to go. He is obviously a big guy who should be able to run guys over. Right now his feet freeze when he makes contact.

Once he puts it all together and learns to drive his feet while making contact he’s going to be good. I want him to run through linebackers instead of just trying to block them. He will in time. He also looks lost in pass pro. He is still trying to learn who he is supposed to be blocking on stunts and blitzes. It will come.

3. OG Sed Flowers, C Taylor Doyle, RT Kent Perkins - they are what we saw last year for the most part. Doyle gives great effort, Flowers strength is run blocking, and Perkins is a guard playing tackle. Their play has improved from last year and the whole unit has improved.

I know, they were so bad last year they can only go up. True, but I see a glimmer of hope that they will not only be better, but they may be good by the time they play Baylor.​

What I saw was one of the five breaking down on any given play, and this offense is not good enough to make up for that. Get the consistency that you need on offense and these breakdowns will get less and less and when they do happen a playmaker will step up and make a play.

An offensive lineman’s dream is 3rd and 2. Their nightmare is 3rd and 4.

I challenge any of you to go stop 315 pounds moving forward while you are moving backwards 30+ plus times a night. If it sounds hard, it is! I think these 5 guys together will get this team to where it wants to be at the end of the year.

When you see a QB pressured it is not always the offensive line's fault. You would be shocked how many coaches don’t understand that.

I have had to explain offensive line play to a few head football coaches before.

There are 11 guys on offense, and you could point to anyone of them during a game and show a physical error. What kills you is when it is one per play and that stops the play. Everyone on offense needs to be more consistent. I don’t care if you’re running the Wing T or spread. This will always be true. It’s not the scheme, it’s the execution.

The reason this offense did not work is it missed opportunities for easy plays and had too many negative plays and inconsistency. When you make a throw on a slant or drag route to an open receiver there has to be a completion.

I said during the game I’m not worried about Notre Dame. I’m worried about Baylor. If Texas played like they did last night at the end of the year, then it is time to worry.

Until that point, I am all in with Strong and what Wickline is teaching on the offensive line.

I believe this team is going to beat Baylor at the end of the year. That's right. Even after Saturday night.

Now, I need this team to believe they are going to beat Baylor at the end of the year!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Things to be just swell in Austin, Texas. Link

Steve Patterson's Gameday Experience brought to you by Taco Bell has reached a new level, as it appears he's now charging opponents for the seats their bands use. By all accounts, this is the first time in the series either university has charged the other for band seats.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
He did the same thing at Louisville (although it was 4 games in) and they ended up winning 5 of the last 8 games. The next two seasons they were 11-2 and 12-1. Having done it once before with success, I am apt to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
This is turning from a wreck in to a mitigated dumpster fire. I may have to take back what I said earlier. If I'm a UTw fan I'm losing faith in Strong, already had zero faith in Texas board of reagents, and think Patterson is a joke.

They're on the verge of being a football has been in the state because recruits take Baylor and TCU seriously, and aTm had already surpassed them in recruiting.

My guess now is, barring a miracle, they'll fire/force out Patterson. That gives a new AD an easy out on dropping Strong.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He did the same thing at Louisville (although it was 4 games in) and they ended up winning 5 of the last 8 games. The next two seasons they were 11-2 and 12-1. Having done it once before with success, I am apt to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I was kind of 50/50 but after that change, it just looks bad, period.

Some coaches can't really grow into a top tier job. A place like Louisville, you have a little more breathing room. I mean his top competition ended up being programs like UCF and Cincinnati, hardly national football powers, and likewise he was recruiting in a completely different environment and dealing with a completely different administration.

Heck, look at Anthony Grant, he had success at a lower level and simply couldn't sustain it at Alabama (you could argue the basketball program was as much of a mess as the Texas athletic department). It's not a given that Strong can cut it at Texas. It's clear either way that Strong isn't on the level of a Nick Saban or an Uban Meyer though. He's not even recruiting well in a state were the recruits just line up to play for Texas.

It's reaching the point it almost doesn't matter though. Whether or not it's just behind the scenes people that forced the change, or Strong admitting a mistake, either way it's a huge sign and it says a lot. If Strong had full control of the situation and knew he was on the right track, I'm betting he doesn't make a change at coordinator. This is the type of change that signals they expect results this year and if they don't get them, his job might be on the line. Otherwise, I can't fathom why Strong would make this move, because if he wasn't already on the hot seat, changing coordinators after one game puts you there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So fire Charlie Strong and his 64% winning percentage and 6 bowl game appearances to hire a guy in his first year as a collegiate head coach?
Out of curiosity, how much of Strong's record can be chalked up to Teddy Bridgewater?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.