Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've thought about that some today. Very well could be part of it. We see David Shaw not doing as well as he did in his first year, which happened to be Andrew Luck's last.
I'd say David Shaw is doing alright without Andrew Luck.

With Luck (2011): 11-2, Pac-12 North Co-Champions

Without Luck (2012-14): 31-10, 2 Pac 12 North C0-Champions, 2 Pac-12 Championships, 2 Rose Bowl appearances and Stanford's first Rose Bowl win since 1972.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I was kind of 50/50 but after that change, it just looks bad, period.

Some coaches can't really grow into a top tier job. A place like Louisville, you have a little more breathing room. I mean his top competition ended up being programs like UCF and Cincinnati, hardly national football powers, and likewise he was recruiting in a completely different environment and dealing with a completely different administration.

Heck, look at Anthony Grant, he had success at a lower level and simply couldn't sustain it at Alabama (you could argue the basketball program was as much of a mess as the Texas athletic department). It's not a given that Strong can cut it at Texas. It's clear either way that Strong isn't on the level of a Nick Saban or an Uban Meyer though. He's not even recruiting well in a state were the recruits just line up to play for Texas.

It's reaching the point it almost doesn't matter though. Whether or not it's just behind the scenes people that forced the change, or Strong admitting a mistake, either way it's a huge sign and it says a lot. If Strong had full control of the situation and knew he was on the right track, I'm betting he doesn't make a change at coordinator. This is the type of change that signals they expect results this year and if they don't get them, his job might be on the line. Otherwise, I can't fathom why Strong would make this move, because if he wasn't already on the hot seat, changing coordinators after one game puts you there.
Good point. Louisville was a smaller market and under less scrutiny. I guess I am reacting to the "one game is over, Charlie Strong is out at Texas" reaction.

I think of Mark Richt hanging on to Willie Martinez for too long and the determinant effect that had on the UGA defense (talent development and execution). Strong is smart enough to when t cut bait. We'll just have to wait and see if he picked the right replacement.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The guy that is the new OC, Jay Norvell, was co-OC at Oklahoma with Josh Huepel. Big Game Bob fired both of them after last season. Good sign, bad sign who knows?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Texas is broken from the top down. I have serious doubts that Charlie Strong is the right guy to rebuild that program. Perhaps if the entire AD wasn't a garbage fire, he could do it. They will have to hit rock bottom, clean out the cess pool, and rebuild their leadership team before the football program will ever have a solid chance to rebuild.

They are in a similar place that we were back in 2000 or so, before Mal Moore, Robert Witt, etc. Only except Alabama, for all of our arrogance as a football fan base, can't hold a candle to Texas's sense of entitlement and arrogance.
Yep. Their biggest issue is the Good ole boys club overhead overseeing things down in Austin. Its cancerous. They basically have a country club of rich millionaires and alumni running the whole show. That needs to be weeded out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yep. Their biggest issue is the Good ole boys club overhead overseeing things down in Austin. Its cancerous. They basically have a country club of rich millionaires and alumni running the whole show. That needs to be weeded out.
Definitely. And we know how difficult that is - until Saban arrived we were in a similar boat...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd say David Shaw is doing alright without Andrew Luck.

With Luck (2011): 11-2, Pac-12 North Co-Champions

Without Luck (2012-14): 31-10, 2 Pac 12 North C0-Champions, 2 Pac-12 Championships, 2 Rose Bowl appearances and Stanford's first Rose Bowl win since 1972.
Maybe it wasn't Luck. Maybe it was Harbuagh's players. He was 8-5 last year. His play-calls are so conservative, he makes Jim McElwain look like Mike Leach.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Stallings took over a good team with several returning All-SEC players and started out 0-3, then finished out 7-5 with a 35-7 blowout loss to Louisville that wasn't as close as the score indicated. The next year after an opening win over a weak opponent (Temple?) we were destroyed 35-0 by UF coached by Spurrier on a Saturday night in the swamp (I was there). Then we went on a long winning streak which included a NC. I'm not saying that Strong is on the verge of winning a NC but I think he can get the job done given time to build the program his way which seems to be the right way AFAIK.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Stallings took over a good team with several returning All-SEC players and started out 0-3,
then finished out 7-5 with a 35-7 blowout loss to Louisville that wasn't as close as the score indicated.
But you're ignoring some critical details in this assessment. Yeah, he started out 0-3, but a huge chunk of the offence - Siran Stacy missed the entire season after getting hurt in the opener against USM. The Florida game was lost on a blocked punt late on a team with an anemic offense thanks to the loss of Stacy. We then lost Craig Sanderson and Prince Wimbley - two guys trying to function as replacements of sorts for the loss of Stacy - in each of the next two games. I didn't see the UGA game, but I believe we blew a 16-3 lead late on turnovers.

The offense post-Stacy's injury was horrific. If you exclude the Vandy game where we torched them for 59 points, our offense only averaged 17.7 ppg after Stacy was hurt. The only reason our record was as good as it was is because the defense was truly All-World. Yeah, a letdown against Louisville, but otherwise excellent.

The next year after an opening win over a weak opponent (Temple?) we were destroyed 35-0 by UF coached by Spurrier on a Saturday night in the swamp (I was there).
If you were there then I'm sure you remember the score was 6-0 at halftime and got out of hand thanks to three turnovers in the early stages of the second half. Short field and Shane Mathews. Yeah, we lost 35-0 but just like you ca have 35-21 games that aren't really that close, you can have blowouts not as bad as the scoreboard suggests.

Then we went on a long winning streak which included a NC. I'm not saying that Strong is on the verge of winning a NC but I think he can get the job done given time to build the program his way which seems to be the right way AFAIK.
You DO recall that long run included:

Alabama 10 Memphis St 7
Alabama 13 La Tech 0
Alabama 6 Tulane 0 (at halftime in 1992)
Beating a horrible LSU team on a blocked field goal in 1991

Texas didn't show the spunk the other night that Stallings's teams did.

I won't say it's hopeless, either, but they're in trouble.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.