Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I am glad they beat big mouth bob and glad for Strong. I think he has done it right. Texas is so much more fun to hate when they are good (good for the big 6 or whatever they are these days)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is an interesting situation, because Strong still needs to build off of this. If his team goes back to struggling badly, it makes it look like the team has the capacity but just isn't performing like they should. So, he's off the hot seat for now but his team needs to play like, you know, a team.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Well, many people thought that Sooner :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: or later, Texas would turn it around. Some thought it would be too late for Charlie Strong, but maybe it's not.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Just like the Iron Bowl, you throw the records out for the Red River Showdown.

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
Okay. First, living in Texas is especially sweet this year. I've been dishing it out to the UT fans all year and NOW I get to give a big old heaping crap sammich to the OU fans. It's like Christmas came early.

Secondly, my oldest daughter lives in Dallas in Uptown. She said she had to call the cops because a bunch of drunk OU fans and a bunch of drunk UT fans got into a fight in the street below her window. Between that and the dude in the Maserati driving his car into a pole, she said it was an awesome weekend.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Okay. First, living in Texas is especially sweet this year. I've been dishing it out to the UT fans all year and NOW I get to give a big old heaping crap sammich to the OU fans. It's like Christmas came early.

Secondly, my oldest daughter lives in Dallas in Uptown. She said she had to call the cops because a bunch of drunk OU fans and a bunch of drunk UT fans got into a fight in the street below her window. Between that and the dude in the Maserati driving his car into a pole, she said it was an awesome weekend.
I was in a downtown hotel years ago (late 70's) after the game. They came through around 2 or 3 AM to clean up the streets by basically hosing them down with firehoses. There were a couple of groups jawing back and forth in the street below my window. I looked out just in time to see the firemen turn their hoses on them to "cool them off". Broke up the argument pretty quickly.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
[FONT=proxima_regular]

TEXAS AT A CRITICAL POINT IN THE FUTURES OF CHARLIE STRONG, MIKE PERRIN AND GREG FENVES

[/FONT]
Let's be honest, it's going to take guaranteed contracts of two years, maybe even three years for whoever comes in to take over the offense for next season.

Two sources close to the situation told HornsDigest.com UT president Greg Fenves and interim athletic director Mike Perrin are unequivocal in their support of Charlie Strong coming back in 2016 - even if Texas loses its final two games against Texas Tech and Baylor - because they believe in Strong and feel he didn't receive the support he needed during his first 20 months at Texas.

How things play out from here will be critical to the near-term success of not only Strong but also Perrin and Fenves in their jobs because the state of the Longhorns' football program simply means that much to the financial bottom line of athletics and to the overall state of mind of the university and its faithful.

So if I'm Charlie Strong, I get with Perrin right now - share what I'm thinking, talk about what it's going to take financially - so Strong, Perrin and Fenves can all get on the same page about everything going forward. And Perrin and Fenves can work behind the scenes to inform and get buy-in from key power brokers.

What I'm about to say isn't a conversation that's been easy to have - and still probably isn't - with Shawn Watson still on the staff at Texas: But I was able to confirm Strong explored bringing both Chad Morris and Tom Herman to Texas as offensive coordinator when Strong was first hired at UT in January of 2014. Morris, now the head coach at SMU, had a $5 million buyout at Clemson for any job other than head coach, and Patterson said no way (even though Morris would have come - that's how much Morris wanted to get back to Texas and get in at the flagship).

Herman, a former graduate assistant coach at Texas under Mack Brown, told Strong he thought he'd be in line for a head-coaching job in a year and that he thought Ohio State was in line for a special year in 2014. It turns out Herman was right on both counts as he won the Broyles Award, given to the nation's top college football assistant coach for helping Ohio State win the national title with its third-string quarterback. As the head coach at Houston, Herman's Cougars are 10-0 with games left at UConn and against Navy.
There are more details about what Steve Patterson did behind the scenes. He apparently was a horrible AD.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
[FONT=proxima_regular]

TEXAS AT A CRITICAL POINT IN THE FUTURES OF CHARLIE STRONG, MIKE PERRIN AND GREG FENVES

[/FONT]
There are more details about what Steve Patterson did behind the scenes. He apparently was a horrible AD.
[FONT=proxima_regular]* Patterson cutting the meals coaches could eat in the athletic dining hall from unlimited to 30 per year didn't hurt the head coaches as much as it hurt the assistant coaches at Texas, including those quality control assistants who needed every meal UT could help them out with (because they were making so little).
[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_regular]* Patterson cut the assistant coaches' ticket allotment from 8 to 4 and cut the allotment for the rest of the football staff from 4 to 2. If a football staff member has two kids, he can't even send his family to a home game without hitting up someone else for more tickets.
[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_regular]* One of the things that ....ed off Strong the most was Patterson and chief revenue officer Steve Hank's attempt to cut the coat, tie and fitted dress shirt and pants for the players to wear when traveling and on game days - when it's time for business. The cost is roughly $20,000, I was told, and Patterson/Hank said the players could wear their Nike sweats.[/FONT]
Patterson was apparently quite the micro-manager. For Strong's sake, I hope whoever the permanent AD is, will have a clue and give him support like he seems to be getting from Mike Perrin.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Charlie is calling presser. Supposedly to address some rumors.

Evidently the rumors of him leaving for Miami are affecting recruiting.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So you're having a press conference to say that you're staying? No....Texas is not a laughing stock anymore. They are a dumpster fire.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.