Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The RT guys also mentioned that Alabama has recently started printing "not for resale" on it's faculty tickets.
I usually don't get faculty tickets, so I can't speak for the past.... but I had some for the Miss. State game last year (given to me for what it's worth). They had a face value of $0 and the not for resale thing on them.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My take is that Strong was not a good fit from day 1. He will not cow tow to the PTB in Austin. He is a good coach given the right situation, but Tejas is not it. He is in over his head and the fans there are not patient..

Anyone who thinks 16 million buyout is too much for UT to pay is kidding themselves. That is chump change to them. Like them or hate them, they have more cash than good sense.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My take is that Strong was not a good fit from day 1. He will not cow tow to the PTB in Austin. He is a good coach given the right situation, but Tejas is not it. He is in over his head and the fans there are not patient..

Anyone who thinks 16 million buyout is too much for UT to pay is kidding themselves. That is chump change to them. Like them or hate them, they have more cash than good sense.
I don't think anyone believes they can't afford it. Or that they have displayed a lot of common sense. However, IMO they are smart enough to know that if dump him this early and guess wrong, they stand to lose even more ground. A lot of people are pointing to Kelly like the pointed to Saban, but getting someone to go there with the current conditions is not all about the money as much as they would like it to be.

Strong needed some of this to happen to clean things up. However it went so badly that he may not be able to recover.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think anyone believes they can't afford it.
They can, or want everyone to think they can. What good is all that money if they refuse to use it? Not saying they should fire Strong, but if Texas is reduced to hanging onto a coach for a few years just because they can't afford to get rid of him... well then the richest of Texas have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm not sure what to make of the dreaded booster vote of confidence on Strong. Word is they are behind him, and if they have to say that, then... well we know how this ends up a lot of times. But, the key there was they were like we're behind him, for now, but if he gets blown out by Oklahoma then that might change. So basically, the boosters said it will change because it's hard to imagine Texas not getting blown out by Oklahoma.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think anyone believes they can't afford it. Or that they have displayed a lot of common sense. However, IMO they are smart enough to know that if dump him this early and guess wrong, they stand to lose even more ground. A lot of people are pointing to Kelly like the pointed to Saban, but getting someone to go there with the current conditions is not all about the money as much as they would like it to be.

Strong needed some of this to happen to clean things up. However it went so badly that he may not be able to recover.
I agree - if they dump Strong now, they will not get another veteran head coach in his wake.

Also, Kelly isn't leaving ND for any other college program for any amount of money. He loves it where he is, and the administration loves him. The NFL would be another story.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree - if they dump Strong now, they will not get another veteran head coach in his wake.

Also, Kelly isn't leaving ND for any other college program for any amount of money. He loves it where he is, and the administration loves him. The NFL would be another story.
I think Kelly in this case is Chip Kelly.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This Grantland piece makes Strong sound like Anthony Grant. That's not a good thing, either.

On some recent trips back to Texas, I talked to two high school coaches. Both have won state titles; both are “Texas guys” (as opposed to A&M guys); one has a player at Texas now. Neither coach had ever met Charlie Strong, nor talked to him on the phone, nor exchanged emails with him. One coach told me he’d been in the same room with Strong at a local coaches’ meeting, but Strong left after giving a speech without sticking around to shake hands. The other coach told me that when Texas recruited one of his players, Strong’s assistants funneled their communications through the recruit rather than the coach. This was the case even when the Texas assistants came to watch the recruit at high school practice — entering the high school coach’s domain, as it were.

At some point in our talk, the second coach pointed across his office. There, behind glass, was a Mack Brown autographed football.

A similar story, published last year on ESPN Insider, depicted Strong as awkward and aloof. Neither coach I talked to subscribed to that idea. They both liked Strong and his staff very much and wanted them to win. But they were struck by how much of the burden they were trying to shoulder themselves. The message coming out of Bellmont Hall was, We’ve got this.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
They can, or want everyone to think they can. What good is all that money if they refuse to use it? Not saying they should fire Strong, but if Texas is reduced to hanging onto a coach for a few years just because they can't afford to get rid of him... well then the richest of Texas have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm not sure what to make of the dreaded booster vote of confidence on Strong. Word is they are behind him, and if they have to say that, then... well we know how this ends up a lot of times. But, the key there was they were like we're behind him, for now, but if he gets blown out by Oklahoma then that might change. So basically, the boosters said it will change because it's hard to imagine Texas not getting blown out by Oklahoma.
I get ya. I just think the vote of confidence was all they COULD do.

I did mean Chip. I don't see him leaving the Eagles for Texas, but some around Austin are equating it with Saban leaving Miami for Bama. I guess if they can get our coach they can try to do the same thing. That hang up is kind of funny when you think about it.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
If the Barn can afford all the money they are paying ex coaches Texas should be able to afford CCS's buyout. In fact it might less than what the barn is paying.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The reason why Briles is so successful is that he is buds, with all the HS coaches. If Strong thinks that attitude will work (if in fact that story is true), that is the kiss of death. Especially competing with Briles.
Yup..If Texas truly wants to right their sinking ship fast, when they get rid of Strong after next season(Strong will be giving next year at the very least to get things right), they need to give Briles a blank check & full control of the football program to become the next Texas HC..Briles at Texas would be their Coach Saban type homerun hire, evry major high school team in Texas, runs a offense similar to what Coach Briles runs at Baylor & would bring instant success in Austin..

It's actually scary to think how good Texas would be with Briles as their HC, they would be foolish not to make a run at him, but, he has an actual better job at Baylor I think so anyways(especially with the $$$ Baylor has backed him improving their facilities)..I'm not sure he would take the dumpster fire that's known as Texas Football..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's funny to hear all the stories about how 'they're not gonna pay that buyout' - when all I've heard my entire time here is how they can throw $10 million PER YEAR at Saban and he'd come running.

I know they BELIEVE this, but some folks believe in unicorns, too.

Texas should serve as a warning to ANYONE - no matter how good something looks or easy it looks on paper, pulling it off and getting the desired result is something completely different. Just because you have a lot of money and can buy what you think is a good or great coach won't guarantee it works out as folks think.

I'm sure another 'Saban to Texas' rumor will get floated during the off week before we play LSU. Radio here today was calling for Strong to be gone regardless.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's funny to hear all the stories about how 'they're not gonna pay that buyout' - when all I've heard my entire time here is how they can throw $10 million PER YEAR at Saban and he'd come running.
What's funny is the folks throwing around the numbers - those assuming those with the deep pockets will spend it - are never those with the deep pockets.

Fun fact - those with millions to invest in their alma mater's AD are rarely stupid or wasteful with their wealth - that's why they're wealthy. Most folks wouldn't last more than a few months unemployed due to their house, car, and toy payments...

Few of the super-wealthy are stupid about money. That's why they're so wealthy.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I bet the BIG 12 schools want them to keep CCS as long as possible. I loved watching TCU beat them down and will laugh even louder, when Baylor does the same.
I hope Baylor beats them down too, but I hope a huge hornet stings Briles on his lip in the 4th quarter so we won't have to hear any of his blather immediately afterward.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope Baylor beats them down too, but I hope a huge hornet stings Briles on his lip in the 4th quarter so we won't have to hear any of his blather immediately afterward.
Amen - He and Stoops make me turn off the volume on my TV set. Whine, whine, whine...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.