Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
"Dating to last season, the Longhorns have been outscored 117-20 in their past three games."

Texas rushed for 60 yards and passed for 103 yards while losing to Notre Dame 38-3.

Goodbye Charlie. I don't see how they can keep him when then are not getting better, but getting worse. I read somewhere that Kansas is not the B12 embarrassment but Texas. I am sure the 'horns could beat Kansas but how much worse can Texas get?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Everything is bigger in Texas.

Even the collapses.

Along with the excuses for the collapses.

Probably gonna be another round of "you know what" at the end of this season, along with the 'he says he likes to build a program' and 'he said he'd coach 16 more years' and all those other scraps of evidence they look for to find relevance.

I, for one, am happy. Their bungling of this head coaching replacement makes our forced hiring of Mike Shula look competent by comparison. At least we had the excuse of having to replace a head coach in May and count the season as lost before it began. They went through a circus and forced out the second most successful coach in their history.

It's absurdly comical to watch.

You oughta be here watching it, ha ha ha.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Its safe to say that the state of Texas belongs to TCU and Baylor now. Its almost sad to see how far the Texas Longhorns have fallen. I think that if Texas has another 5 win season, that the Charlie Strong experiment will be over with in Austin and they'll be looking for another Coach in the off season.

Longhorn fans are a lot like us in that they want to win now....not later. They want to see instant results and being the LONGHORNS, they should be getting instant results. The issue that the Longhorns have though, is that they are stringing a few bad years in a row together. Which means TCU and Baylor and to a lesser extent, A&M are becoming the sexy places that Texas High School talent wants to go now and meanwhile, the Longhorns are looking like a bad destination while TCU, Baylor and A&M keep fattening up on all the Texas talent. The Horns are riding on a slippery slope right now.

And well, people keep saying when Texas finally gets a QB to watch out......

The problem that I have with the Longhorns QB situation, is that if you look around the country, there are teams out there with mediocre QB play that still compete and look good every year. Look at LSU for example, their QB situation is probably one of the worst in the country, yet they continue to push for double digit win seasons and bowl appearances and sometimes, even National Championships.

To expand on what I said above, perhaps its the system in place at Texas that is the issue. Some Coaches are hard headed and wont make the system fit the player, but instead, they make the player fit the system. It doesn't always work that way. Maybe they are trying to make Swoops into a QB he really isn't. In other words, they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Honestly, I think Texas' main issue is that they are having an identity crisis and they have no clue what they want to be on offense....are we ground and pound? are we up tempo? I bet thats the main problem in Austin. You have to fully commit to a system and stick with it. In the end, Texas being Texas isn't enough anymore to recruit the best talent. Their logo alone used to sell itself...that isn't happening anymore. Texas alumni and the big suits down in Austin wont put up with another losing season. Strong is sitting on a very very hot seat right now.

As I said though, Texas being Texas will want results soon. If Texas doesn't get results in a timely manner, then the natives will get restless. I think at some programs, you can be patient with a rebuilding process. But at the same time, there are programs out there that are not patient and they want results fast. Texas is one of those programs. It takes a different type of guy to Coach at these programs like Texas, Alabama, USC, Florida State, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida and Notre Dame. The leashes are short at these places if you're not producing results fast. Its almost becoming like keeping up with the Jones's. Texas see's what Baylor and TCU are doing, and its putting them into high urgency mode. When this happens, Coaches tend to get out of their element and things snowball.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
They let Mack hang around about four seasons too long, and damn near every other program in Texas took advantage of the situation. If they can Strong now, they'll have have to break the bank to get anyone worth a damn--and that person will still need at least 4 years to do anything.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
If they suffer another losing season and fire Strong, does anyone else think they will go after Malzahn? I've heard it said in other threads that several Texas high schools run the HUNH and the kids are very familiar with it by the time they get to college. If Texas fans want quick results and want to get back to competing with TCU and Baylor, wouldn't Gus give them a good shot? Thoughts?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
If they suffer another losing season and fire Strong, does anyone else think they will go after Malzahn? I've heard it said in other threads that several Texas high schools run the HUNH and the kids are very familiar with it by the time they get to college. If Texas fans want quick results and want to get back to competing with TCU and Baylor, wouldn't Gus give them a good shot? Thoughts?
Isn't Gus Malzahn's HUNH vastly different than Baylor and TCU's? Meaning Auburn HUNH's to run while Baylor and TCU HUNH's to pass?

I always thought that Auburn's version of the HUNH was way different than the Baylors, TCUs and Oregons of the world.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Before we ask this question about Texas, remember, we almost became a laughing stock ourselves from the mid 90's until Coach Saban. Bad times can happen to a program. Texas will recover, just like we did. There's too much pride there for it not to happen. Coach Strong probably made it completely understood that it normally takes at least one recruited senior class to rebuild a struggling program.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I read somewhere that Kansas is not the B12 embarrassment but Texas. I am sure the 'horns could beat Kansas but how much worse can Texas get?
That is only because of reputation. Texas is supposed to be great because of its history. No one expects Kansas to do well. Kansas has less scholarship players than a FCS school.

They let Mack hang around about four seasons too long, and damn near every other program in Texas took advantage of the situation.
This. This. This.

Mack ran the program so far down Charlie is having to do a pretty significant rebuild. Remember, he booted several players last year. He's had to change pretty much everything about the program.

They got blown last night be a top 15 team. That's no surprise when looking at their roster.

Charlie Strong has talked up the immediate impact of his 2015 recruiting class since essentially the day it was signed. On Monday, Texas's first depth chart of the season put its money where Strong's mouth is.

Via Horns247, that depth chart lists six different freshmen as starters for the Longhorns' trip to No. 11 Notre Dame on Saturday. True freshmen Connor Williams (left tackle), Patrick Vahe (right guard) and John Burt ("Z" receiver) are all listed on the offensive first string, while redshirt freshmen Edwin Freeman (weakside linebacker) and John Bonney (corner) will start for the defense. Five-star signee Malik Jefferson, the consensus jewel of Strong's 2015 class, will start his first collegiate game at middle linebacker.

There are also four sophomores listed as starters, meaning only 54 percent of the Longhorns' starters in South Bend will be upperclassmen. Altogether, 23 freshmen -- redshirt and true -- appear on the depth chart.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
How long until the rumors of CNS going to Texas........again. I have actually already heard this, citing the article a couple of weeks ago , the idiot wrote about Saban not being happy and will leave after this year.

):

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
How long until the rumors of CNS going to Texas........again. I have actually already heard this, citing the article a couple of weeks ago , the idiot wrote about Saban not being happy and will leave after this year.

):
That ship has sailed.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Isn't Gus Malzahn's HUNH vastly different than Baylor and TCU's? Meaning Auburn HUNH's to run while Baylor and TCU HUNH's to pass?

I always thought that Auburn's version of the HUNH was way different than the Baylors, TCUs and Oregons of the world.
I admit I'm ignorant when it comes to the HUNH. I don't like it and never will. I thought the teams that ran it were basically the same and relied on misdirection and exploiting the rules. Maybe Gus wouldn't be a good fit there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.