Is Texas becoming a laughing stock?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
The horns are getting a good dose of what they deserve. But make no mistake they will be relevant again soon. They like us are a traditional program and will not stay down long. History has shown this to be true,we are a good example of it ourselves. As well as Notre Dame, USC, Michigan,Nebraska and so on, all of us have gone though some down times and it is simply the horns time.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Strong is a good coach, but he tossed too many talented athletes out the door last year. This team is a shell and it will take a few recruiting classes to fill out. He may get fired, but that will be Texas' loss.
I actually agree with this. However the only question is how much time do they give Strong.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I actually agree with this. However the only question is how much time do they give Strong.
I also agree that Strong is a good coach and, given time and a lack of interference from boosters, could probably get this turned around. But, if he gets more than one more year without SIGNIFICANT improvement (8 or 9 wins without any major embarrassing loses), it'll only be because of the expense of firing him. I think most of the big money guys were completely against his hiring in the first place and they'll take any half-way reasonable excuse to get rid of him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I checked the ShaggyTexas board and there are at least a half dozen threads griping about Strong and/or wanting to fire him.

On a side note, I skimmed their game thread about our game. It only ran two pages, but they seemed to favor us in that game. They also seem to see through Richt as easily as we do. Not sure what I expected, but I would have thought they'd be anti-Bama for us hurting Colt and Saban rejecting them.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I also agree that Strong is a good coach and, given time and a lack of interference from boosters, could probably get this turned around. But, if he gets more than one more year without SIGNIFICANT improvement (8 or 9 wins without any major embarrassing loses), it'll only be because of the expense of firing him. I think most of the big money guys were completely against his hiring in the first place and they'll take any half-way reasonable excuse to get rid of him.
Then they make another offer to Nick Saban. 25 million a year for 5 years. **blue font**

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
$34 million might cover a LOT of beatdowns...
Yep. They owe Charlie a very, very large paycheck if they decide to fire him at the end of the season. Then, they have to pay to get a new coach and probably have to pay that coach's buyout. Talking about close to $50 million at that point.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yep. They owe Charlie a very, very large paycheck if they decide to fire him at the end of the season. Then, they have to pay to get a new coach and probably have to pay that coach's buyout. Talking about close to $50 million at that point.
Here's the thing though, either Texas is all talk or they can darn well afford it. I guess one can look at the Saban situation one of two ways, either they were willing to throw an absurd amount of money his way, or it was all talk and all they ever really did was offer him a tiny bit more.

So this is kind of a put up or shut up moment for the boosters that want Strong gone. If they want to continue to have undo influence, paying to get rid of the head coach is a decent way to show the new AD who is boss. But... if Texas, the richest program there is decides they can't afford this, that's fine by me.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Have to admit I am loving the Great Texas Meltdown. I just visited on of their boards and it is a real smorgasbord of misery. One thread wanting to ditch the B12 and go to P12 or SEC. I have to say I am loving it.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Have to admit I am loving the Great Texas Meltdown. I just visited on of their boards and it is a real smorgasbord of misery. One thread wanting to ditch the B12 and go to P12 or SEC. I have to say I am loving it.
Wait...they suck in the Big 12 and their answer is to join a real conference where they'll have to play even better teams? What kind of logic is that?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They destroyed the Big 12 with their selfishness. No one wants them.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Wait...they suck in the Big 12 and their answer is to join a real conference where they'll have to play even better teams? What kind of logic is that?
That made some kind of sense, didn't it? TCU and Baylor don't seem to have a problem winning in the same conference. However, many of the replies to that thread are ready to leave the B12 because Texas is under-appreciated in the B12. They say they are Texas and they can go to any conference they want. Hmmmm. I wonder if that attitude has anything to do with their feeling under-appreciated? :eek2:

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
The could join the Sunbelt. I am sure they would take them and they might could compete with those teams.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
That made some kind of sense, didn't it? TCU and Baylor don't seem to have a problem winning in the same conference. However, many of the replies to that thread are ready to leave the B12 because Texas is under-appreciated in the B12. They say they are Texas and they can go to any conference they want. Hmmmm. I wonder if that attitude has anything to do with their feeling under-appreciated? :eek2:
I'm pretty sure there's at least one conference that Texas has NO shot at joining.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Texas is Texas... They cant afford to fire Strong... IMO, he gets another year.... Strong in any case get fired, He still will be HC somewhere... I don't think Texas will be a good job to get especially with all that mess going on... If Booster can stay out of their mess, and give strong all resources he needs... boom, he'll be fine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.