Link: Alabama Getting Back to Physical Football Spells Doom for SEC Foes

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Wait, Can you claify your comment please? I'm litlte confused by this. VT blew OSU back? Who did OSU played Monday night? I wasn't aware Bama was playing Monday night?
Did you read the last few posts? I was ask when was the last time I saw a physical line move the defense back. It was Monday night.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Monday night. Third and one, VT blew OSU back about three yards for a first down. It was a thing of beauty. But no team can do it every play which is my point. I think we saw smooth, efficient, and polished blocking from Bama, not physical blocking (per my definition of physical).
You seem to have very particular standards. You were one of the downers in the post-game thread and said you couldn't expound otherwise you'd get suspended from the site. I'm not really sure what more you want.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
@Moro and others, is this physical enough for you?

Maybe not as consistently as we'd all like to see, but I thought we were pretty physical on the line overall, especially in the run game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Maybe not as consistently as we'd all like to see, but I thought we were pretty physical on the line overall, especially in the run game.
#76 got a great shot on # 5 at the end of that.

i bet our o-line guys love running that play

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Yeah, I`d say that pretty well qualifies. I`ll bet that got the room going during film review !

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
You seem to have very particular standards. You were one of the downers in the post-game thread and said you couldn't expound otherwise you'd get suspended from the site. I'm not really sure what more you want.
<br>

I don't want anything. I was just answering your question as best I could. Also, just because I agree with someone's opinion doesn't make me a downer. 

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Physical is a mentality. It's a little tougher on zone plays, but it's that desire to punish the defender. It shows up later in the game, just like it did Saturday.

I would call what we did Saturday "not huddling." They weren't frantic, they just didn't huddle and stood next to the line of scrimmage to prevent substitutions. With Howard's versatility I imagine we will do it mostly with him because he blocks well and can split out wide the very next play. Not being able to substitute combined with physical line play will pay dividends as the year progresses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone please help me understand. Are we more physical because we are running more? Are we running different plays than we have in the last two years which require a more physical style? Are we running the same plays in a more physical manner? Are the three new starters that much more physical than previous starters? Can any of this be deducted from one game? It looks to me like good technique, picking the correct block, and coming off the ball with oneness is more apparent with this OL than physicality. To me, being physical is when the ball is snapped and the LOS moves three yards forward and leaves an open space where the line once was. I did not see that.
Maybe this will answer your question.

Football 101: Why Power Running Works

While many think the term “power football” describes an attitude or perhaps even a formation, coaches actually use it to refer to something more technical: the Power-O and Counter Trey1 run plays, which most coaches simply call Power and Counter, and which are foundational running plays in the NFL and college football.

Power and Counter are so effective because their very designs are forged from aggression. They’re deliberate melees built on double-team blocks, kick-out blocks, lead blocks, and down blocks, and preferably finished off by a running back who drops his shoulder and levels a defender or two before going down. And as this GIF shows, they can be things of beauty:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.