So ... Quarterbacks

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
At the game yesterday, me and a friend commented that if Bateman could clean up some of issues throwing the ball he is the one that gives us the most diversity in the offense. He can effectively run the read option and is a legitimate threat to run. It's obvious he doesn't have the arm strength to stretch the field the way Coker can but he does seem to see the field better. In all he seemed manage the team better stay on his feet better. He looks like someone he had more experience playing the position which taking high school careers into account he has alot more playing experience than Coker. But he does need to know his limitations. His problem is he throwing to many swing passes right now. We don't know what Bateman's true down field ability is because he hasn't shown it.

To me Coker gives you the ability to stretch the field but his accuracy is lacking. But he can't avoid the rush very well.

Either way teams are going to load up to stop the run. I don't know which QB is the best option right now but I think with more playing time I think Bateman gets you closer to the kind offense we had last year which I think we will need to control the ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I agree. To be sure he's not Blake Sims agile but it would be closer to last year. He's also got a much quicker release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I went in the game fairly confident about Coker, but instead I saw some regression. That doesn't have to mean a whole lot though, but we know why he didn't earn the job last year, and we know why the job remained open this year. He needs to take a step forward, that's all there is to it. However, Blake Sims needed to take a step forward as well and he did, if Coker does settle down, he's got all the abilities he needs.

As far as Bateman, at one point I started thinking if he might start the Ole Miss game, then he made an unforgivable mistake. You just can't do pick 6 type plays in the red zone. You do that against virtually any quality opponent and you can lose the game. Even in that game, it's the difference between 44-3 and 37-10. Bad stuff...

So, Bateman is more mobile, but can't stretch the field, needs to develop. Coker is less mobile, can stretch the field and needs to develop. I think the guy still has to be Coker for the time being, he's actually played better and one guy has thrown 25 passes for Alabama and had one terrible INT and the other guy has thrown 106 passes for Alabama and had one INT to go with 6 passing touchdowns. I imagine the coaches have to trust Coker more.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Through 2 games last season our QB was 36-47 for 478 yds. 2 TD and 1 INT. 9 rush for 56 yds and a TD. Against WV and Fla Intl.

This season so far Coker is 30-47 for 427 yds 2 TD and 1 INT. 4 runs for -8 yds. includes sacks. Against Wiscy and Middle TN.

So far Sims is proving to be the better runner, to the surprise of no one. He also had a record-setting season passing. Most would concede the opponents have been tougher in 2015.

Folks, it is way too early to be giving up on Coker . . . And I was one of Batemans' bigger advocates.

Last edited:

beachbum94

Scout Team
Feb 27, 2012
Joplin, MO
Through 2 games last season our QB was 36-47 for 478 yds. 2 TD and 1 INT. 9 rush for 56 yds and a TD. Against WV and Fla Intl.

This season so far Coker is 30-47 for 427 yds 2 TD and 1 INT. 4 runs for -8 yds. includes sacks. Against Wiscy and Middle TN.

So far Sims is proving to be the better runner, to the surprise of no one. He also had a record-setting season passing. Most would concede the opponents have been tougher in 2015.

Folks, it is too early to be giving up on Coker.
THIS

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

So far Sims is proving to be the better runner. To the surprise of no one. He also had a record-setting season passing. Most would concede the opponents have been tougher in 2015.

Folks, it is too early to be giving up on Coker.
You are probably right but it was Sim's running ability that allowed him to improvise and extend plays. That's a huge part of our offense from last year that we aren't getting back with Coker under center.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I think we keep starting Coker. The staff was trying to challenge him for a bit with the play calling yesterday. Eventually the game plan changed back to what it will normally be (heavy doses of Henry) and we ran away with it and Coker looked better.

On the upside I think Bateman could be a very good qb for us next season.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We noticed how jittery Coker looked yesterday too. He clearly has the tools, but he is shaky running the no-huddle while Bateman looks great with his command of the offense, but accuracy and arm strength are issues with him.

Honestly I think we should go away from the no huddle and let Coker run things.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
some of coker's passes are so inaccurate they look like the ball must be covered in chicken grease.

he and bateman are both thoroughly average at this point.

if we can't remedy their spotty play and our kicking game continues to stink up the joint, we will lose at least to games this year and possibly more.
Alabama has had to replace 9 starters on offense. It will take time for the team to come together.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Coke seems tentative. His accuracy is suspect because he throws behind receivers a lot. He does not get the ball out very quickly and also locks on a receiver too often. His touch on all passes need work. That being said, I think (as another poster stated) he is going to be our QB through good or bad. He has never started until now, so we can only hope that through hard work, he will improve.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Coke seems tentative. His accuracy is suspect because he throws behind receivers a lot. He does not get the ball out very quickly and also locks on a receiver too often. His touch on all passes need work. That being said, I think (as another poster stated) he is going to be our QB through good or bad. He has never started until now, so we can only hope that through hard work, he will improve.
We heard the same moaning and groaning about Blake Sims after the first few games last year, but everyone seems to forget Blake did not have any starting experience either and it was bumpy at times as well.....it took Blake and Lane a little while to figure out the game. It took awhile to get it together, and it took Lane a few games to figure out what plays best suited Blake during the games. So you have to give them some time to figure out game play.....and as stated above there is a lot of inexperienced offensive starters.....you dont have the great route runner and dominant receiver that Sims was lucky enough to have. There are going to be growing pains and may drop one early because of it....but if they can get it together, I think this offense can be really good. And I think once they get Coker into his game, things will be better...Coker is the starting QB, and has yet to play an entire 4 Qtrs of a football game. Yesterday was a game test to see how Coker would respond to different things.....I am sure Lane now has more of a clue on what works best for Coker.

Just like I said last year early on, Sims is your QB now so get behind him and let it play out....
SO I am saying it this year, Coker is your QB now, so get behind him and let it play out.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Alabama has had to replace 9 starters on offense. It will take time for the team to come together.
i understand and agree, but that doesn't change the fact that if we continue to get mediocre qb play and horrible kicking, it will cost us games.

i'm not down on coker or bateman, and i feel really bad for griffith, but it is what it is.

it shows how spoiled i am as a fan that it's a big deal that we might lose two or three games in one season.

pastorchuckvrc

Aug 30, 2015

Folks, it is way too early to be giving up on Coker . . . And I was one of Batemans' bigger advocates.
Thanks for the stat comparison. Kinda puts it in perspective.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
My thoughts regarding the matter remain the same as they were last week.

If you have 2 QBs.

1 is a 5th year senior that still isn't ready to protect the ball or lead, or make smart decisions or accurate throws down the field. He has arm strength without accuracy, doesn't have the speed in his release or his feet to run the offense the way we want to run it. Very indecisive and lacks confidence. Lacks confidence to the extent that it's noticeable even though he's never lost a game and has only 1 int (which was mind-boggling).

2 is a sophomore that has the abilities that this offense calls for, but lacks the game experience in terms of seeing importance of ball security, lacks the game experience in terms of seeing the field and his backup options at times. He doesn't have a huge arm, but it's adequate. Has a quicker release, which is great for the screen game. Has feet that can extend plays, and gain yards if things fall apart (with how the pass protection has gone, that may be needed). Basically his issue is a lack of experience, but I can respect his guts to make something happen.

I can completely understand why we are starting Coker. We have a defense, and offensive weapons that can win a championship. No time to develop a youngster....except when you still need to develop the senior. I wish that Cooper would've played the entire 2nd half of the Wisky game for experience. But I know that we'll know who our QB is after this Saturday. If Coker has any fight in him, he'll find it Saturday. Because if we're losing games due to our QB, may as well be with one that we can groom into a winner for the next 2 seasons after this one.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My thoughts regarding the matter remain the same as they were last week.

If you have 2 QBs.

1 is a 5th year senior that still isn't ready to protect the ball or lead, or make smart decisions or accurate throws down the field. He has arm strength without accuracy, doesn't have the speed in his release or his feet to run the offense the way we want to run it. Very indecisive and lacks confidence. Lacks confidence to the extent that it's noticeable even though he's never lost a game and has only 1 int (which was mind-boggling).

2 is a sophomore that has the abilities that this offense calls for, but lacks the game experience in terms of seeing importance of ball security, lacks the game experience in terms of seeing the field and his backup options at times. He doesn't have a huge arm, but it's adequate. Has a quicker release, which is great for the screen game. Has feet that can extend plays, and gain yards if things fall apart (with how the pass protection has gone, that may be needed). Basically his issue is a lack of experience, but I can respect his guts to make something happen.

I can completely understand why we are starting Coker. We have a defense, and offensive weapons that can win a championship. No time to develop a youngster....except when you still need to develop the senior. I wish that Cooper would've played the entire 2nd half of the Wisky game for experience. But I know that we'll know who our QB is after this Saturday. If Coker has any fight in him, he'll find it Saturday. Because if we're losing games due to our QB, may as well be with one that we can groom into a winner for the next 2 seasons after this one.
Good post.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.