So ... Quarterbacks

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This Saturday will be Coker's moment to wither under the heat or shine. Last year Blake had this opportunity against UF. They were a legit defense. I know their offense was total garbage, but defensively they were good. The offense just couldn't keep them off the field. Blake carved them up like a Thanksgiving turkey. It really silenced the naysayers. Coker is going to face a similar situation this week, but the difference is the offense of Ole Miss looks good too, but let's be honest they have played no one.

It was an incredibly vanilla gameplan on Saturday, and Bama has a history of playing like this against inferior competition. Go look at the last time we played Western Kentucky. MTSU was not a bad football team, and I think we will see this as the year goes on. In a big game you would have seen more help for Jackson in the form of RB's and TE's chipping and going out into patterns or just flat keeping someone in to help him. There was really no effort to establish Henry until much later in the game, and when they did start to feed him he got going. Drake was the only guy they got mildly creative with. I look for a much different game plan come Saturday, and Coker will either pull a Blake or we will have a real good possibility to lose. I'm pulling hard for the guy. I know he's worked hard, and I want him to succeed like I wanted Blake to succeed last year, and not just because I'm a Bama fan. I think Coker was a great teammate last year when Blake won the job. He worked hard to get where he needed to be in the offseason, and just like Blake waited and was patient, so was Coker. I want this young man to have his moment in the sun.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I think the announcers summed Coker up, it is obvious when he is relaxed and when he isn't. There are certain pass plays he just not like to run no matter what the down and yardage is, then when they run what he knows he can lead a drive with, he does well. Take the long pass to OJ, not many qbs can put that on the money from 30+ yards away on a rope. If he can complete a few of those a game, it changes the progression of the game for him. Out of all the other qbs in the conf. I dont see anyone else I would trade Coker for right now. I think this kelly kid comes back to earth in a big way Saturday night with multiple picks and sacks.
Kyler Murray comes to mind.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
They don't rotate their QBs. One gets hurt, they plug in the next. 2 totally different things.
We haven't rotated ours either, JC starts and then it's CB to finish. They have played theirs the same way. The difference is they aren't searching for a starter.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I didn't see anything in Bateman that showed me he's ready for the starting roll so it's Cokers job for now. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his MTSU performance. It seems every year we have a week 2 game that makes us look like a pickup team at the field next to the leaking nuclear power plant. The game plan was essentially play base set on everything.

We will know what we got by the end of Saturday night, This game could well be for the west title. We don't need him to be Joe Montana, we just need him to use that big arm to keep the safties honest. Right now Henry and Drake have been a lethal combination no matter what they have tried.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think it's hard to overstate the importance of the Ole Miss game. If we win, I think it is the foundation for Coker's confidence the rest of the year and we win the national championship. If we lose, we are out of the race and it won't be the last game we lose. And not because we can't overcome a loss to Ole Miss. I don't think Coker can overcome a loss to Ole Miss. As many have said, his biggest problem is confidence.
IMO, if you lose you should move on to Barnett.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think it's hard to overstate the importance of the Ole Miss game. If we win, I think it is the foundation for Coker's confidence the rest of the year and we win the national championship. If we lose, we are out of the race and it won't be the last game we lose. And not because we can't overcome a loss to Ole Miss. I don't think Coker can overcome a loss to Ole Miss. As many have said, his biggest problem is confidence.
Dead on.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've always liked Bateman but they should give the job to Jacob and show that they have confidence in him to get it done.
I think that would do wonders for his confidence and performance almost immediately.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Great post. I've had this nagging gut feeling all year that we drop 2-3 games this year. The Ole Miss game goes a long way to proving me right or wrong. I thought at first it would be UGA, A&M, and LSU that trips us up, now I feel that Ole Miss proves to be a tougher challenge matchup wise than UGA.

If we lose this game, I fear a tailspin might occur. If we win it, then I love our chances against everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Great post. I've had this nagging gut feeling all year that we drop 2-3 games this year. The Ole Miss game goes a long way to proving me right or wrong. I thought at first it would be UGA, A&M, and LSU that trips us up, now I feel that Ole Miss proves to be a tougher challenge matchup wise than UGA.

If we lose this game, I fear a tailspin might occur. If we win it, then I love our chances against everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
even the sunshine pumpers at the ajc are very skeptical of uga this year after last week's performance vs vandy.

just a hunch, i don't think we'll see a saban team tailspin, even after a bad loss.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
even the sunshine pumpers at the ajc are very skeptical of uga this year after last week's performance vs vandy.

just a hunch, i don't think we'll see a saban team tailspin, even after a bad loss.
If you mean an Auburn style tailspin, I agree.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.