So ... Quarterbacks

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I was about to say, no it doesn't... I still can't think of a single true freshman QB to start and lead a team to a title, I'm waiting for someone to give me an example.

To answer the general question, some people were wondering if Barnett was ready yet, and that sort of thing for a little while. He goes out and plays a scrimmage, he throws a couple of picks. No big deal, but it just shows where he's at. Then, even the video of him running into Henry, while funny illustrated that he didn't know how to position himself yet. As has been mentioned, we're talking about SEC defenses, they can make almost anyone look bad. There are so many little things he has to learn, not to mention general mental and physical development.

Let me give one example, people say Barnett has speed so he can get away from defenders. That's all well and good if he sees them, but if he drops back and he doesn't feel the pressure coming, he could get blind sided. Or, he does feel the pressure, he tries running away and gets leveled by an up-field defender. He needs to bulk up, he needs to learn, I believe in his talent, I've said that all along, I do think as a redshirtfreshman he has a chance to start, but I don't see him as the solution to the problem, I see playing him as causing more harm than good. If the coaches thought otherwise I'd defer to them, but the Blake Sims (not a popular pick with the fans but now we can clearly see he was the best option) thing last year reminds us that they kinda know what they are doing with the quarterbacks.
Regarding your last statement, I get it from a tactical standpoint, but the potential for having 3 first-year starters in a row seems to be a problem to me.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Funny, but that is the exact sentiment my wife expressed Saturday....she knows nothing about football, but she looked up from her magazine at one point in the first half and stated that the team looked confused....
Early on the team did not look fluid because the Bama coaches were trying something's with Coker at QB (and the rest of the team)that he is not normally good at in practice, to see if he could actually do it in a game. If you noticed, early on there was very little running and just mostly passing in the hurry up....In the 2nd QTR things were more running and back to things that Coker does better....the first part of the game was an experiment of sorts and was totally different than the Wisconsin game (and it was disappointing at best). As you will see on Saturday, things will be different on offense, and more to what you saw against Wisconsin.

I remind everyone, Jake has only played 4.5 Qtrs in 2 games so far this year. I want to see how he does in an entire game, before I make judgment of him. I wish he could only play 2 Qtrs all year because that would mean Bama is winning big, but I think Saturday we will all have to see him play 4 Qtrs of Football. There will be ups and downs...just like Blake, Greg and AJ......

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Whew! Just now getting to watch the game on my DVR...listened on the radio Saturday.

Man, Coker has really struggled in the first half. Threw 1 INT and it could have easily been 3-4 (probably would have been against SEC talent).

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Regarding your last statement, I get it from a tactical standpoint, but the potential for having 3 first-year starters in a row seems to be a problem to me.
That's the price to pay for being a contender every year. The choice can never be about the next few years, it has to always be win now. Alabama was in the title hunt last year, they could have won it, this year they look to be in the title hunt as well (even an Ole Miss loss won't derail their chances). It is unsettling, but was Sims a better option than Coker? Yeah, sure seems like it. Is Coker the best option at this point in time? Well, yeah, it seems like it...

Sometimes it's just a matter of playing the cards you a dealt though. Phillip Ely transferred, it's worth noting that he just beat Arkansas. He sticks around, he might have had a shot at the job both years. Phillip Sims, he left and oddly enough Alabama was back in play with him. He almost made the Cardinals squad, which says a lot about his abilities. Then there's Luke Del Rio, who left as well, and he was actually next on the depth chart after Blake Sims. Let's not even get into the could have been type stuff, with the Golson and Braxton Miller talk (who could have been some combination of what he is now and what Alabama wants Cooper Bateman to be). Then there's the whole fact that Cornwell got sidetracked. It was kind of inevitable that Alabama hit a bit of a rough patch at QB after the very nice transition from GMac to AJ.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Michael Vick I think was a true freshman at VT when they made the title game but lost. I agree if we played Barnett we would lose 2-3 easily, but if we lose 2 with Coker I don't see any reason to keep him playing and not build for the future. Until then though, lets keep blasting them with Coker. He hasn't lost yet.
I'm almost certain Vick was a RS freshman.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Guy on another board saying Barnett is not working the Scout team and is getting some reps with the #1s.

Wouldn't mind seeing him get a few meaningful snaps as the season goes on, if they are really serious about him not redshirting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is absolutely no point in playing Barnett unless they're gonna start him. That kind roster management would get a pro coach fired. lol.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Guy on another board saying Barnett is not working the Scout team and is getting some reps with the #1s.

Wouldn't mind seeing him get a few meaningful snaps as the season goes on, if they are really serious about him not redshirting.
My issue with the QB position this year is the fact that the only QB who has received meaningful snaps is Coker. If there was a true QB competition (as we were all lead to believe) then Coker and Bateman would have alternated series against Wisconsin and MTSU. Meaning give both QB reps with the full first team and before the game is well in hand. Sure Bateman has got some reps but they are with backup WRs and lineman so it doesn't give a direct comparison of the so-called QB competition. They should have just came out and named Coker the starter they way the game reps have been divvied up.

I really don't care for the "lets make them prepare for 2 QBs" line either. I think there is much more of a benefit to naming a starter and letting that QB take over the leadership role on the team as well as play with a lot of confidence. To me, that far outweighs the facade of making a team prepare for 2 different QBs with basically the same skill set..

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I still doubt Barnett will play...but priority one is winning. I trust Coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There is absolutely no point in playing Barnett unless they're gonna start him. That kind roster management would get a pro coach fired. lol.
I'd typically agree, except there has to be something pretty special about Barnett that the coaches are seeing or else there would be none of this talk about not redshirting him this year.

Now, I'm just speculating, but the coaching staff may be thinking that Barnett is not ready for live game play now, but they believe as the season goes on he may be.

Question remains is this because they are not completely happy with Coker and Bateman and think Barnett could contribute later this year OR is there a plan to get Barnett some experience for next year?

Again, I'd say that's now how we normally do things, but BB is not your typicaly true freshman either.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it is a similar scenario to how AJ was getting prepped mid-way through 2009 because McElroy was in a pretty deep slump starting with the Ole Miss game through Tennessee. They were in a title hunt with a Heisman-caliber tailback and elite defense, the staff was going to use any QB if he was going to bring balance to the offense regardless of redshirts.

That is basically the scenario for Barnett playing except they pull the trigger because neither of the other two QBs get out of their slumps.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.