Link: Auburn has 3 Fixable Problems, but There's No Time to Waste. LSU's Up Next.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Rarely does a win damage you as much as a loss, especially in a poll system designed to move you up when you win and move you down when you lose. But the SEC media's conference favorite and the AP Poll's preseason No. 6 team, Auburn, now finds itself 18th.

Such is life when you nearly lose to an FCS team. Jacksonville State is one of the best FCS teams, mind you, but Auburn nearly suffered college football's biggest upset since Appalachian State took down No. 5 Michigan in 2007's opening weekend.

The Tigers survived, 27-20, thanks to a touchdown in the last minute of regulation and a defensive stand in overtime. But things are not going according to plan. Why?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
holy lack of self awareness batman

Yet Johnson didn’t seem worried afterward. There was no real concern, no sense of urgency from the Auburn quarterback when he took the podium for his postgame press conference.

“It’s football. Interceptions are going to happen,” Johnson said. “All the greats throw interceptions. I feel really good about where this team is at and where I’m at. I have a lot of confidence in myself and so does my team.”

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
holy lack of self awareness batman
Even more lack of awareness from that article:

“Sometimes we call plays to the wrong defense,” Johnson said. “Still, I made a bad mistake throwing the interception(s) right to the guys. But it was all good. I just have to take what they give me.”

Is it all good? Johnson has thrown five interceptions, and we’re not even through the first month. That’s the most interceptions an SEC quarterback has thrown in the first two games of a season since 2009 when Tennessee’s Jonathan Crompton threw five.
And what does "Sometimes we call plays to the wrong defense" mean? The defense is ready for the play Rhett Lashlee calls after seeing how the defense is lined up?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'll never trust The Barn when it comes to them being a bad football team or count them as a sure loss, grant it I haven't seen 'em look this bad early on, they still have a good bit of elite talent on the team, question is do they have the coaching to get them back on straight in one week..

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's funny JJ says that. There has been many times during the game against JSU where I thought he had a chance to make play... but checked wrong plays... He s not reading coverages right. If he see two safety sitting at the top it's a cover 2... meaning Duke may not be open if he runs a seam route... but JJ doesn't know that. he try to force plays ... not making progressions. At this rate.. He could have 10, 15 ints by the time Auburn plays us... assuming if he still have his starting job.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'll never trust The Barn when it comes to them being a bad football team or count them as a sure loss, grant it I haven't seen 'em look this bad early on, they still have elite a good bit of talent on the team, question is do they have the coaching to get them back on straight in one week..
I don't think its the coaching? but then again, maybe it is. Gus is very predictable when it comes to his offense. Just about every team in SEC figured him out... Except for Vandy. They struggle this year... I can see him going to Texas, Miami or NFL.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
if you think about it, Jeremy Johnson is the first true QB Gus has to develop in his system. JJ was recruited by Gus himself.
Chris Todd, Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were all JUCO recruits. fans and critics alike have always question Gus's ability to develop a QB, right now those detractors seemed to be correct.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't think its the coaching? but then again, maybe it is. Gus is very predictable when it comes to his offense. Just about every team in SEC figured him out... Except for Vandy. They struggle this year... I can see him going to Texas, Miami or NFL.
Yup..They have talent across the board, except for QB if JJ is truly as bad as he's played, but, I'm kinda surprised their D has given up as many big plays as they have with Muschamp..We may kid about Muschamp, at one time he was considered among the best of the best, in the Coaching Fraternity on the D side of the ball..I thought he was going to do better at The Barn just having to worry about the D responsibilities..The Barn's D looks like a mirror image of the problems Muschamp's D had at Florida by giving up way too many big plays..JMO

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
LSU is uber talented but they're fool's gold. Let's see how they look 7 weeks in when there is film on them. My thought is they'll continue to be the biggest waste of talent in the country

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'll never trust The Barn when it comes to them being a bad football team or count them as a sure loss, grant it I haven't seen 'em look this bad early on, they still have a good bit of elite talent on the team, question is do they have the coaching to get them back on straight in one week..
Absolutely. Rest assured the auburn team we saw the last two Saturdays will in no way resemble the auburn team UGA and Alabama will face in November. They may not be an SEC contender even then but they will be good enough to possibly beat both UGA and Alabama.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
if you think about it, Jeremy Johnson is the first true QB Gus has to develop in his system. JJ was recruited by Gus himself.
Chris Todd, Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were all JUCO recruits. fans and critics alike have always question Gus's ability to develop a QB, right now those detractors seemed to be correct.
Top notch information in this post. I never thought of that.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
LSU is uber talented but they're fool's gold. Let's see how they look 7 weeks in when there is film on them. My thought is they'll continue to be the biggest waste of talent in the country
I think LSU still has QB troubles of their own. I'm betting on one ugly game in Red Stick this weekend.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
agree. all that talk about their vaunted secondary, Dak lit them up in the second half to the tune of 335 yards.
OTOH, Harris threw for 71 yards, yes 71 total yards . I understand when you have Fournette as your RB and a good Oline you become more run heavy. when teams stack the box to stop the run, Harris is going to have to win games with his arm and maybe feet as well.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
"Auburn has been unlucky".

Auburn is without doubt the luckiest football team in the history of , well, football.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.