Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

It would take him 3-4 years to build a team that he wants. Heck he was extremely lucky that Nutt left him good running backs and Mallett didn't like Hoke. If neither of those things had happened he probably is looking for a new job way before his "bike" incident. He is a good coach if he has players, and with as much as Gus has changed the culture at auburn, I think only coaches like Briles and Herman could fix fast enough to not hack off the season ticket holders and boosters.
But changing regimes is difficult...not that Auburn probably doesn't need to do it...but they'll probably get worse before they get better.

After the UTw dropping that game to Cal and the Texas defense looking absolutely porous, I wouldn't bank on Charlie Strong being on very secure footing there in Austin. UTw fans have got to scratching their collective heads afterwards, given Strong's reputation for defense. If they get humiliated by Oklahoma, Baylor, or drop a couple key games, Charlie could be out the door. And you can bet that Texas would have their sites on Herman. Auburn couldn't match Texas in that power play.
That is exactly why UT doesn't need to give up on Strong just yet. UT's first two games proved that they are moving in the right direction. UT (2016) reminds me a little of where we were in our 2nd year under CNS (2008). Much improved, getting physically stronger and mentally stronger but still not there yet.

I think Strong had more to strange at UT than CNS did at Bama in their first couple of seasons.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

But changing regimes is difficult...not that Auburn probably doesn't need to do it...but they'll probably get worse before they get better.

That is exactly why UT doesn't need to give up on Strong just yet. UT's first two games proved that they are moving in the right direction. UT (2016) reminds me a little of where we were in our 2nd year under CNS (2008). Much improved, getting physically stronger and mentally stronger but still not there yet.

I think Strong had more to strange at UT than CNS did at Bama in their first couple of seasons.
In Saban's second year, we were undefeated in the regular season, and led the eventual National Champion going into the 4th quarter of the SECCG.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The problem with auburn is that half their fans (mostly older) call a good season 7-8 wins with one of them being Alabama, and the other half (mostly younger) see a good season as sniffing a title whether it be a SEC title or CFP. The problem with that is that auburn is compromising when they should favor the latter. With Dye and his cronies still in power it will always be about beating Bama and having a guy in there that they can control.

Had they stuck with either of the Tommys they might be in a far better situation then they are right now. By hiring Gus they trying to build an Oregon type team in the SEC, but the problem is that Alabama and LSU aren't Cal and Oregon st. Auburn fans and the media jumped the shark on how good they were in the post tuberville era, but failed to see that tuberville's recruits were the cornerstones of why they won so much. Now the TT recruits are gone, all you have are Gus recruits. To say the least they aren't great. But the problem that any future coach is going to have that doesn't run this scheme is that auburn has fully geared themselves to acquiring these recruits. Chizik to his credit tried to get rid of that type of thinking, but he forgot that he was supposed to be a "yes man", and not an out of the box man.

I see bad bad things happening for auburn if they don't get a home run hire. I can see this a bear- barfield type situation.... Which would be great ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

In Saban's second year, we were undefeated in the regular season, and led the eventual National Champion going into the 4th quarter of the SECCG.
Yes, I remember. But like I said I think CNS had less problems to weed out than Strong did at UT.

But do you remember what a dumpster fire we became in the latter half of 07? Just hiring the best coach in football couldn't help us not go 7-6 that year.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Yes, I remember. But like I said I think CNS had less problems to weed out than Strong did at UT.

But do you remember what a dumpster fire we became in the latter half of 07? Just hiring the best coach in football couldn't help us not go 7-6 that year.
Dumpster fire is a bit strong for a team with a winning record, but we definitely skidded in the second half of the season. I think three reasons for that --

First, there were a lot of bad apples. DJ Hall. Keith Brown. The guy dealing cocaine from the athletic department parking lot. Lots of others not buying in. Saban later said the APR rule prevented him from cleaning house like he wanted to.

Second, said APR rule. Saban would have booted a lot of others, but the resulting scholarship restrictions would have prevented him from recruiting the most important class in the history of the program.

Third, losing four starters to Textbookgate.

Like the loss to UAB during his time at LSU, the loss to La Monroe was the turning point.

Last edited:

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

So as to Petrino's offensive genius (where have we heard that before); how many competent spread offense coaches around the country, maybe even including Malzahn, would look great with Lamer Jackson at QB??

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Yeah I've seen some of their fans pine for him because he would "beat Saban."

I guess they have forgotten his tenure at Arkansas?
Waaay easier to recruit and build a program at Auburn. He could do great things here if we could wrest control from the good ol' boy network. Trouble is making the morally questionable decision to hire him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Dumpster fire is a bit strong for a team with a winning record, but we definitely skidded in the second half of the season. I think three reasons for that --

First, there were a lot of bad apples. DJ Hall. Keith Brown. The guy dealing cocaine from the athletic department parking lot. Lots of others not buying in. Saban later said the APR rule prevented him from cleaning house like he wanted to.

Second, said APR rule. Saban would have booted a lot of others, but the resulting scholarship restrictions would have prevented him from recruiting the most important class in the history of the program.

Third, losing four starters to Textbookgate.

Like the loss to UAB during his time at LSU, the loss to La Monroe was the turning point.
Yeah, dumpster fire ought to be reserved for 3-8 teams, but we definitely had issues that even CNS could work thru that first year. And that's the point I was making about Strong at UT. I think he had deeper seeded issues that are just now being overcome.

I'm rooting for him and I may be in the minority, but I'm pulling for UT to get back to playing like the power they can be because I always think that when the traditional powers are elite college football is better.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Waaay easier to recruit and build a program at Auburn. He could do great things here if we could wrest control from the good ol' boy network. Trouble is making the morally questionable decision to hire him.
Auburn is located closer to talent than Arkansas is for sure. Although I'd argue that is changing with the addition of Texas A&M to the conference, allowing Arkansas games every year in Texas and the recruiting benefits that brings along.

Anyway, yes. He'd have a chance to build a more talented roster at Auburn. But my argument is that his system doesn't match up with with Nick Saban's defense. And he doesn't have the defensive prowess to overcome Nick Saban's offense. I'd argue that Nick Saban is far more effective at building an offense than Petrino is at building a defense, weakness vs. weakness. Then, strength vs. strength is probably a push - Petrino building an offense and Saban building a defense.

All that to say this: Petrino does not match up well vs. Saban. Now, he's got a once in a generation talent this year at Louisville and if I'm being honest, I'd dread playing them. Those kinds of players are rare, though. I wouldn't lose sleep if Auburn hired him.

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house

Characterizing it as a dumpster fire is a bit of revisionist history. It was consistent and expected back then that our schedule would be back-loaded with losses due to the nature of our schedule and the fact that we didn't have much in the way of talented depth. It happened every year.

We hadn't beaten LSU or Auburn since Shula arrived and had 2 wins during that era (4 years) against what would be considered the elite SEC teams (Florida and Tennessee in '05)... albeit "second-tier" elite teams. LSU and Auburn were ruling the SEC with an iron fist back then.

Reasonable fans didn't expect us to compete with an LSU team that was far and away considered the most loaded team in the country talent-wise and the same can be said of the Auburn team. Most fans knew we were overrated with our top-25 ranking as we just weren't a very strong team especially when factoring in depth. That's why we seemed to consistently lose games in the 4th quarter and towards the end of the season.

If you go back to 2003 onwards, you'll see that 2007 wasn't an anomaly. It was the standard.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Characterizing it as a dumpster fire is a bit of revisionist history. It was consistent and expected back then that our schedule would be back-loaded with losses due to the nature of our schedule and the fact that we didn't have much in the way of talented depth. It happened every year.

We hadn't beaten LSU or Auburn since Shula arrived and had 2 wins during that era (4 years) against what would be considered the elite SEC teams (Florida and Tennessee in '05)... albeit "second-tier" elite teams. LSU and Auburn were ruling the SEC with an iron fist back then.

Reasonable fans didn't expect us to compete with an LSU team that was far and away considered the most loaded team in the country talent-wise and the same can be said of the Auburn team. Most fans knew we were overrated with our top-25 ranking as we just weren't a very strong team especially when factoring in depth. That's why we seemed to consistently lose games in the 4th quarter and towards the end of the season.

If you go back to 2003 onwards, you'll see that 2007 wasn't an anomaly. It was the standard.
In other words - Rome wasn't built in a day, not even by Nick Saban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I strongly disagree. Arky can and has recruited Texas successfully for years so there is talent and they are the "The" state school of Arkansas. There is no other school competing for in state recruits for the most part. Arky has won championships before, both national and conference, albeit in the old Big 8.
Auburn has only been ultra successful when Bama was down except for the anomaly of the Scam year. (After Bryant and again during our probation) Auburn is not viewed as a national brand that Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Tennessee to some extent are. Arkansas is viewed as pretty much equal to Auburn nationally and Auburn can't recruit Texas on a consistent basis. Auburn does recruit Florida, but the talent base there is being diluted so much by other schools coming in and there are 3 state schools who have their pick before AU gets a sniff.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I strongly disagree. Arky can and has recruited Texas successfully for years so there is talent and they are the "The" state school of Arkansas. There is no other school competing for in state recruits for the most part. Arky has won championships before, both national and conference, albeit in the old Big 8.
Auburn has only been ultra successful when Bama was down except for the anomaly of the Scam year. (After Bryant and again during our probation) Auburn is not viewed as a national brand that Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Tennessee to some extent are. Arkansas is viewed as pretty much equal to Auburn nationally and Auburn can't recruit Texas on a consistent basis. Auburn does recruit Florida, but the talent base there is being diluted so much by other schools coming in and there are 3 state schools who have their pick before AU gets a sniff.
Arky was in the SWC, not the Big 8... And I think you're overstating the national prevalence and in-state talent of Arkansas. Auburn is 100% a better gig, IMO, even in the shadow of Alabama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Arkansas is not an easier job than auburn. If it was then auburn wouldn't have a 3-0 lead in conference titles on Arkansas in the championship era.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Arkansas is in the middle of nowhere relative to the rest of the conference. Geographically, they would have been a much better fit in the Big 12. I could write a thesis on how their addition to the Big 12 way back when it was in the stages of it's initial formation in the late 80s/early 90s would have saved the conference. Anyway, until Texas A&M and Missouri were added, they were at a severe recruiting disadvantage. What made them a power in the 1960s was the recruiting afforded to them from their presence in Texas via SWC membership. When that disappeared in 1992, they tanked and haven't gotten close to where they were even in the 80s under Holtz and Hatfield.

Auburn sits comfortably smack dab in the middle of the most fertile recruiting territory in the country: Florida/Georgia/Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana. Arkansas is way away from all of that, but now they do have a presence in Texas again with the addition of A&M (they had already signed on for a decade long series with the Aggies before they left the Big 12). So that will help. But they don't bring in the moolah that Auburn does. Their stadium isn't as big. I don't think they are drastically behind Auburn, but there are advantages the Tigers enjoy that would make it a more desirable job.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I saw this on Facebook. The story with it said he is going to give the money to Toys for Tots if the school won't take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.