Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

I hope they keep Gus..... but if they want a new coach then I nominate Derick Dooley.
I also hope they keep Gus. For a long, long time. If they decide to let the air out of the gus bus tires though, I have an idea for their dream team. Pat Dye as head coach, Tommy Tuberville as defensive coordinator, Terry Bowden as offensive coordinator, and Gene Chizik as the bag man. It should work out fine: Auburn is already paying them all!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

It's hard to see Freeze coming. OM is getting SEC money too, thus, the playing field has become more level. Yes, AU is a better program historically, but Freeze has proven (whether gross violations or not, idk) that OM can compete at a high level. Assuming this year goes as it looks, AU will have had 2 winning SEC records in the last 9 years. The two exceptional seasons, are just that, an exception, an aberration. AU has never been a consistent high-level winner. The closest was the mid-late 50s and 83-89. If they fire CGM, they will have their 4th coach in Saban's 10 years - coaches' that were fired within 3 or 4 years of having a big season. (Saban has cost AU $10s of mil.) That has to be a very serious drawback to any prospective coach.

Why would AU want to hire Kiffin at this time ? They will be firing a hot "offensive mind" and replacing him with essentially the same. In fact, an argument could be made that CGM had a better HC tenure than Kiffin who was hated at all 3 stops, though for different reasons. They would be rolling the dice big time.

If Petrino is really a "changed man", how could he leave UL, who gave him another chance ? Also why leave a much easier conf ? Why take on Bama/Saban ? He couldn't beat them at Ark; AU is better but not that much. I don't know if they can match AU's money, but they can pay a lot.

I think Herman is a pipe dream with so many better options. AU is a good job, very good without Saban, but it is not great. But who knows ? He would be a HR hire, IMO. Bama fans with any sense would pause with that one.

I think Fedora or Brohm, like Dub said, or Sonny Dykes, but no D, might be where they go. Maybe Dan Mullen, though he would not be exciting nor seemingly much of a threat to Bama. But he is a good coach. I don't believe AU can get Freeze, but they would have a good shot at Mullen, IMO. They might could get Mike Gundy - that would be a good hire for them, though not terrifying to Bama. Maybe Fisher, IMO, very overrated, but a good hire. Does he want to take on Saban ? Their last 2 hires were not inspiring, though both had their meteoric season.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

For auburn to right the ship, the new president needs to replace both Malzahn and Jacobs. Supposedly the current president will not retire until July of next year which leaves a new coaching hire (after this season) in a very tenuous position. Of course they could fire both of them and make Kevin Steele interim HC, until the new president hires his new AD and HC.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

The pending president change may be the main thing working in Malzahn's favor.
Unlikely Gouge wants to either leave a challenging fiscal situation such as firing Gus or hang a highly controversial choice(i.e. Petrino/Briles) around his incoming neck.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Judging by Lashlee's comments yesterday, there might be another guy in the mix at QB.

Freshman quarterback 'getting work'

Freshman quarterback Woody Barrett is continuing to be brought along by Auburn's coaching staff.

“He’s getting work," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said in a post-practice interview Wednesday. "He’s staying with us and with me. He’s not on the scout team."

While Barrett hasn't been tasked with scout team work, Lashlee said there was one issue: there aren't always enough reps to go around at practice when they're installing the game plan with other quarterbacks, namely Sean White and John Franklin III.

"He’ll get some individual drills," Lashlee said. "He’ll get some reps in throwing routes and stuff, but when it comes to team reps, he’s not getting a lot of reps just because there’s not enough time if you’re trying to get the No. 1 and No. 2 guy ready."

Even so, Lashlee said he's seen consistent improvement from Barrett, who was a four-star signee.

"He’s getting better," Lashlee said. "Just got to keep letting him play and his development needs to continue to improve, and it is.”

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN

If Auburn loses at home again to LSU I think Gus's days are numbered. If they lose on Saturday at home wouldn't that be like their 8th or 9th straight conference home loss? That's into Kentucky, Vanderbilt territory.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If Auburn loses at home again to LSU I think Gus's days are numbered. If they lose on Saturday at home wouldn't that be like their 8th or 9th straight conference home loss? That's into Kentucky, Vanderbilt territory.
I'm not certain that this game isn't a must-win for either coach. The natives are getting restless in Red Stick and Auburn alike...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Not sure of the number, but the streak goes back to 2014.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

One thing that may influence this situation is the Auburn president has announced his retirement. Quality candidates won't take the job if they know coming in they have either deal with a football coach in Briles that has such a disgusting reputation with women or is forced to go along with such a hire after he is hired. Secondly, Alabama is smoking Auburn in enrollment growth. All things being said the academic reputation and campus safety still matters at Auburn. Plus the president change has to add some level of uncertainty to Jacobs remaining tenure.

Today, anyone can overcome recruiting allegations. Freeze is the ideal candidate. If not him, then Auburn is looking at total tear down and rebuild job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
That's the ONLY scenario that'll put the barn back on track to being consistently competitive, IMO. Dye and Jacobs should be sent packing. But we all know how that's likely to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.