Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

I watched the end of the game after I got home from BD watching the tide. I was watching the game and commented th,at I saw 3 times that time went off the clock during the last drive after the play and even after they called TO. I would guess 10 seconds or so. Also the clock was never waived in by the official.
LSU was out to lunch from :55 to :35. Not like they were being as urgent as they should have been.

And Owens did signal for the clock to roll.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

LSU was out to lunch from :55 to :35. Not like they were being as urgent as they should have been.

the only reason i even watched that final drive is because i knew that with les involved, it would be interesting.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Re: Funny from an Auburn fan

There was one play where the LSU receiver clearly got out of bounds, but the ref gave the signal to keep the clock running. That must have cost them 10-15 seconds at least.
I agree with this. He was clearly out of bounds which should have stopped the clock. I do think Les mismanaged the clock and should have questioned the clock several times along the way as precious seconds ticked off after plays ended and his TO.

And I watched it over. I never saw anyone motion for the clock to start. The SEC should not allow home teams to administer the clock. It is a clear conflict of interest.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The picture you posted yesterday showing him winding his arm also shows another official over the ball, so LSU couldn't have snapped the ball in time.

Doesn't the official have to be in position, too?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

The picture you posted yesterday showing him winding his arm also shows another official over the ball, so LSU couldn't have snapped the ball in time.

Doesn't the official have to be in position, too?
The official got out of the way before the signal was given. Watch the replay. He was past Fournette when the whistle sounded.

The picture I posted was Owens getting ready. He was out of the frame when the ready for play was signaled, but there was a whistle and a motion to start the clock.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Totally agree Dub - there was some questionable clock operating but bottom line is LSU put themselves in a bad spot with poor clock management. Not the first time for them to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

The official got out of the way before the signal was given. Watch the replay. He was past Fournette when the whistle sounded.

The picture I posted was Owens getting ready. He was out of the frame when the ready for play was signaled, but there was a whistle and a motion to start the clock.
Watched the last drive this afternoon, it is true a refund graciously ran the clock when it appeared to me the receiver got out of bounds. Also, on an LSU first down where the guy stayed in bounds, the clock was started just about 3 seconds after it was dropped for the first down.

That has to be the fastest, most athletic chain crew in history to get those chains moved and properly placed in 3 seconds

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just watched a replay. I can hear Owens' whistle blow in order to start the clock.

Please know, I'm not excusing LSU's horrible clock management. Just felt like the officials didn't do the best job of handling the situation.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Re: Funny from an Auburn fan

I agree with this. He was clearly out of bounds which should have stopped the clock. I do think Les mismanaged the clock and should have questioned the clock several times along the way as precious seconds ticked off after plays ended and his TO.

And I watched it over. I never saw anyone motion for the clock to start. The SEC should not allow home teams to administer the clock. It is a clear conflict of interest.
A force out runs the clock. That's what it was ruled.

LSU could have balked, but it's hilarious watching them walk around at a leisurely pace while 20 more valuable seconds tick off the clock. Force out occurred at 1:23. They snapped at 1:03.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Watched the last drive this afternoon, it is true a refund graciously ran the clock when it appeared to me the receiver got out of bounds. Also, on an LSU first down where the guy stayed in bounds, the clock was started just about 3 seconds after it was dropped for the first down.

That has to be the fastest, most athletic chain crew in history to get those chains moved and properly placed in 3 seconds
A hair under six, actually. Just watched the replay again. Watch the play clock.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

If nothing else the LSU wide receiver was still trying to get into a position when the ball was snapped. He was on the line of scrimmage so even if it had been snapped before the clock hit zero, LSU was not set. The play was illegal no matter how you look at it.
It almost seemed like LSU knew it could never win with a quick drive at the end of a game. I'm not sure they believed in themselves, is one reason they were just casually walking into position.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Miles was a great recruiter and very good at preparation. His Achilles Heel was always his in-game coaching. His team usually had the game won or lost before the opening kickoff. They got NO help once it started.

He didn't make good in-game or halftime adjustments, and during the last two minutes of a game, he might be the worst ever.

I really believe it's what did him in.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Miles was a great recruiter and very good at preparation. His Achilles Heel was always his in-game coaching. His team usually had the game won or lost before the opening kickoff. They got NO help once it started.

He didn't make good in-game or halftime adjustments, and during the last two minutes of a game, he might be the worst ever.

I agree with your assessment of some of Miles' coaching attributes. The bad ones contributed to his demise. But, IMO, his apparent refusal to change his offensive approach, especially after promising to do so, was the reason he was fired. After this was demonstrated against Wis, they were just waiting for an excuse to let him go. It just happened to be at AU.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I agree with you in theory about the motion penalty, but it wasn't called and the boogs have made a living out of catching the officials off guard with man downfield for years. If they call the one at Auburn a couple of years ago, there is no kick six. If it wasn't called, it didn't happen so the issue is the clock. The officials obviously thought that LSU got the play off because they did not stop play. Hubert Davis and crew have had a tough couple of weeks and generally, I thought he was one of the better officials up until this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.