Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

We run it at least once a season since '09 and it works more than half the time. USCe caught it in the 2010 SECCG, OK this year. Can't remember any besides those off hand but I know it's been stuffed at least once more.

Edit: I remember Gus scorching us with it during his time at Arky. Hid Reggie Fish back there back in 2006. Very good Auburn defense. That game sucked. Long quiet drive afterwards.
whether it works or not isn't the issue for me. i think it is stupid because it's j.v. sandlot crap. ;)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Nope. I don't care how well he and Gus know each other. Some Auburn fans have an unhealthy obsession with getting him. The majority of us know that hiring him will result in a PR fiasco that will make the Cam situation look like child's play.
Well, auburn certainly has the PR/spin department to handle that...:cool2:

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Lashley was the scapegoat for gus and jay jacobs. The only bad thing for them is the offense got better without gus calling the plays.
They got better - but not great. My speculation is that Gus realized that he needed to not be calling the plays. Once he realized that he knew he needed an OC that could get them to he next level on offense and Lashlee was not that person.

Like I said- pure speculation on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

They got better - but not great. My speculation is that Gus realized that he needed to not be calling the plays. Once he realized that he knew he needed an OC that could get them to he next level on offense and Lashlee was not that person.

Like I said- pure speculation on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When your AD goes around calling you an "offensive genius" but you give up play calling? They were covering their rear ends after the terrible start. Neither gus nor lashlee can develop a QB. J Johnson is living proof of that.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Meanwhile, early on a Sunday morning, the Auburn OC search continues. Where they caught with their pants down? Or did the plans simply go awry?

Okay, to refresh your memory here is an article from 2007 about how the Toomer's trees the infamous trees were dying at that time, long before Updyke...

https://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Meanwhile, early on a Sunday morning, the Auburn OC search continues. Where they caught with their pants down? Or did the plans simply go awry?

Okay, to refresh your memory here is an article from 2007 about how the Toomer's trees the infamous trees were dying at that time, long before Updyke...

Why are we talking about the well being of the oaks?

I find the "trees were dying anyway" excuse laughable. Excuse making to limit Updyke's culpability. First of all, the removal of the rolls from the trees was altered so that the trees suffered no harm. But even if that weren’t so, how Auburn fans handle our own trees is vastly different from some blithering idiot poisoning them.

Even then, the jackass poured a huge amount of a federally regulated herbicide - not exactly one you can walk into Home Depot and buy - into the middle of a city with no concern for what it could do to the soil in the area and the water table for years to come.

Y'all need to stop. These attempts to minimize Updyke's idiocy are themselves an excercise in idiocy.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

not to continue beating a dead horse but they were known to be dying a good bit even before then. I remember back in the early to mid 90's reading an article in the local paper explaining how they were dying.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Why are we talking about the well being of the oaks?

I find the "trees were dying anyway" excuse laughable. Excuse making to limit Updyke's culpability. First of all, the removal of the rolls from the trees was altered so that the trees suffered no harm. But even if that weren’t so, how Auburn fans handle our own trees is vastly different from some blithering idiot poisoning them.

Even then, the jackass poured a huge amount of a federally regulated herbicide - not exactly one you can walk into Home Depot and buy - into the middle of a city with no concern for what it could do to the soil in the area and the water table for years to come.

Y'all need to stop. These attempts to minimize Updyke's idiocy are themselves an excercise in idiocy.
4 days, Auburn is now trying to rewrite the history to turn it into" an Alabama guy" killed their beloved trees

This proves, by their own admission, Auburn fans were already well on the way to killing those things

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

4 days, Auburn is now trying to rewrite the history to turn it into" an Alabama guy" killed their beloved trees

This proves, by their own admission, Auburn fans were already well on the way to killing those things
Actually, a loon that happened to be a Bama guy did kill our trees. No amount of excuse making from you guys will change it. I'm not asking you to own it because you can't control every yahoo that pulls for your team, but don't twist yourselves into some sort of logical pretzel to alter reality.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL

Actually, a loon that happened to be a Bama guy did kill our trees. No amount of excuse making from you guys will change it. I'm not asking you to own it because you can't control every yahoo that pulls for your team, but don't twist yourselves into some sort of logical pretzel to alter reality.
I respect you and your program. You especially. But sir, this isn't correct. Your own horticulture department disagreed with you years before anyone had ever heard of Updyke. I don't make excuses for him. He finished the job, and it was a crime; the low point in a rivalry of low points, one of which was fans of your program rolling the trees because Bama lost the game last week.

But years of pressure washing and the agricultural fact that the trees don't belong in this zone had a years-long head start. And no amount of your trying to place sole blame on a loon will change that.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

I can't say I appreciate the condescending arrogant lecturing of an Auburn fan on an Alabama board. Apparently his opinions have been welcomed, but there's no reason he can't relate those views with respect. So if you can see this, with all due respect to you and with deference to the mods' opinion on the matter, would you mind taking it down a notch?

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

(Harvey Updyke)that happened to be a Bama guy
I have stated my opinion before, that had he been from the state of Alabama while growing up he would have had a different respect for Auburn and the trees.
He gained an unhealthy fixation of Coach Bryant being his long lost father. This while growing up in Texas.
I went to school, church and played pee-wee ball with good friends that were always Auburn fans. Updyke is every teams illegitimate nightmare fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.