Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

Meh, I think this is a wishful thinking thread. Truth is that the Barnies ran into a Jacksonville State Team with a chip on its shoulder and they came out flat last weekend. They will rebound against the corndogs. I look for them to take LSU down actually.
thing is, they were flat the week before too

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL

Apparently Jovon Robinson was screaming at Malzhan and had to be pulled away during the Jax State game.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA

One thing that stuck out to me while watching their game Saturday was the halftime sideline interview with Gus. She asked him about what they needed to change with the defense. His response was, "we just gotta do better on offense."

I don't think Gus has the mindset of a head coach. He's still stuck in OC mindset.
To be fair though, those "interviews" (as many others) are completely useless. Ever really gained any true insight from a single one?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

thing is, they were flat the week before too
Yea, I think it goes back to what Coach always says regarding teams only being able to get up for 3-4 big games a year. This Barn team can be dangerous if it focuses. Granted, they will not be near as good as what everyone thought preseason but LSU will certainly strike a chord with this bunch. Look for a tight game this weekend I suspect.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Yea, I think it goes back to what Coach always says regarding teams only being able to get up for 3-4 big games a year. This Barn team can be dangerous if it focuses. Granted, they will not be near as good as what everyone thought preseason but LSU will certainly strike a chord with this bunch. Look for a tight game this weekend I suspect.
yeah, i didn't get to see any of lsu's game this past weekend so i have no idea what they bring to the table.

i remember we beat the living crap out of ole miss in 2000. i think the barners may have a similar season this year :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

To run that offense, you have to possess a dual threat QB and the barn does not have one on the roster. As for discipline issues, this is the same gus that was going to let spice smoking gun loaning mike dyer with him to AR St. I posted on this site when muschump was hired there would be problems. Muschump has to be saying "I was a SEC head coach and now I am working with a guy that was coaching high school ball 10 years ago."

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

To run that offense, you have to possess a dual threat QB and the barn does not have one on the roster. As for discipline issues, this is the same gus that was going to let spice smoking gun loaning mike dyer with him to AR St. I posted on this site when muschump was hired there would be problems. Muschump has to be saying "I was a SEC head coach and now I am working with a guy that was coaching high school ball 10 years ago."
Not to take up for Gus, but Houston Nutt had almost exactly that attitude when Gus was working for him. Now, Nutt would be lucky to get a HS job. Art Briles is a former HS coach, too, and he's done OK at the college level. If Muschamp is thinking that way, he'd be better off channeling his energy elsewhere. His D hasn't been especially effective so far. Plus, he needs to be a good soldier and improve his reputation a little if he ever wants to be a head guy at a power 5 program again.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Not to take up for Gus, but Houston Nutt had almost exactly that attitude when Gus was working for him. Now, Nutt would be lucky to get a HS job. Art Briles is a former HS coach, too, and he's done OK at the college level. If Muschamp is thinking that way, he'd be better off channeling his energy elsewhere. His D hasn't been especially effective so far. Plus, he needs to be a good soldier and improve his reputation a little if he ever wants to be a head guy at a power 5 program again.
i bet muschamp is thinking to himself "if i would have just waited three more years in austin"

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

i bet muschamp is thinking to himself "if i would have just waited three more years in austin"
Man, I don't know that he'd have had any better luck there than he did with the Gators. UT was a mess when Brown got the ax. After Muschamp left UF, wasn't there talk that Spurrier was interested in him as DC?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Man, I don't know that he'd have had any better luck there than he did with the Gators. UT was a mess when Brown got the ax. After Muschamp left UF, wasn't there talk that Spurrier was interested in him as DC?
i never heard that about spurrier.

i was thinking at least at texas he would not be the laughing stock he is on track to become after failing miserably at florida and now about to be gilligan going down with skipper gus.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

I think you're right, and I also remember his name being floated around as the next DC at Texas A&M. So many options, and he chose to go back to the barn. Hope you're pleased with your decision, Willie Boy!!!!!!!

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

I don't know how legit it was, but they did talk about it on Finebaum a few times. Several "people in the know" thought he'd have been better off going to SC because Spurrier is bound to retire sooner rather than later.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Without the two miraculous wins over Georgia and Alabama the national perception of Malzahn and AU's program would be entirely different.
Agree totally. 9-3 in 2013, 8-5 in 2014 and if they continue to play like they have this year a 8-5 may happen again. I don't think the talking heads would be calling him an offense genius and one of the best head coaches in the nation.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I wonder if Mack would have retired in 3 more years especially if they were having success. Most of these coaches, including Spurrier, just don't want to give it up. It is usually about ego. Spurrier wants to break Coach Bryant's SEC win record, unlikely, and become the only Div 1 coach to win 100 games at 2 schools, possible. They also have trouble seeing that they've lost the edge that they had. It is a thin line and difficult to see.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

There was quite a bit of discussion on Finebaum yesterday about the future of SOS. He has a massive ego and thinks he can still win, but after losing at home to UK there are some who feel he may be looking at a 6-6 or 5-7 season. Does he retire if this happens or does he continue to stay the course? The talk was that, due to his age, opponents are using that against him and it has hurt his last several recruiting classes and in the SEC that is not a good sign. There was talk that if Muschamp had been offered and taken the DC job at USCe he would have been the heir apparent which may or may not have been a good decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.