Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

Give him time. We're halfway through his first season.
As if the head coach hasn't been there for a while. AubARN fans were singing his praises. He was "coming home." The deficiencies are still there left over front the last coach. Not one thing has changed except for he's doing the coaching/play calling. I don't know how a one dimensional team like Arky ran up the score on that defense. Yes it was 4 OTs but wow.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

Harmless

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2015
Franklin, TN

Everybody's talking about Auburn's defense like it is the main problem, which it isn't. Malzahn ordinarily would be ecstatic to hold an SEC opponent to 24 points on the road. His offense is the problem. He had to give a bazillion carries to one tailback, who averaged 3 yards per carry for the game. The speed element of his running game isn't there, so they end up throwing a lot more than they should be. And the big play threat his offense was banking on is in some bar somewhere, looking for a fight.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Did you read the next sentence of my post which stated that the defensive players that AU get do not get developed because......the head coach doesn't give a rip about defense..
I was focusing on the part where you were factually wrong. We get plenty of highly coveted recruits on D.

I don't believe the lack of development is because our "head coach doesn't give a rip about defense." Chizik was a defense minded coach and his defenses were serviceable at best. It's because of a lack of stability on that side of the ball.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I think the D staff will be kept intact. I'd bet money on Lashlee departing though.
Seriously Dub, you think the defensive staff remains as is? I've heard rumblings from a couple of alums with some ties to the program say that "Muschamp isn't real happy with his situation there". When I've asked what they meant, it was "nothing major. Just Will being Will".

I think Finebaum even alluded to it this morning in passing on WJOX.

I'm just wondering if Will, after his tenure as HC at UF, is having difficulties adjusting to not being the lead dog on the sled team. Not trying to flame, it is just strange hearing it from friends then having Finebaum circularly alluding to it made me give it some credence.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Everybody's talking about Auburn's defense like it is the main problem, which it isn't. Malzahn ordinarily would be ecstatic to hold an SEC opponent to 24 points on the road. His offense is the problem. He had to give a bazillion carries to one tailback, who averaged 3 yards per carry for the game. The speed element of his running game isn't there, so they end up throwing a lot more than they should be. And the big play threat his offense was banking on is in some bar somewhere, looking for a fight.
Kerryon will come into his own here soon. There was some good to be taken away from the heartbreak of last Saturday.

When your presumptive starter turns out to be a head case, these things happen. Sean White's play has been satisfactory. He isn't getting much help from his receivers.

Spot on regarding Duke.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Seriously Dub, you think the defensive staff remains as is? I've heard rumblings from a couple of alums with some ties to the program say that "Muschamp isn't real happy with his situation there". When I've asked what they meant, it was "nothing major. Just Will being Will".

I think Finebaum even alluded to it this morning in passing on WJOX.

I'm just wondering if Will, after his tenure as HC at UF, is having difficulties adjusting to not being the lead dog on the sled team. Not trying to flame, it is just strange hearing it from friends then having Finebaum circularly alluding to it made me give it some credence.
Would you be in a good mood given the circumstances?

But, yes. I think the D staff will remain intact.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

I was focusing on the part where you were factually wrong. We get plenty of highly coveted recruits on D.

I don't believe the lack of development is because our "head coach doesn't give a rip about defense." Chizik was a defense minded coach and his defenses were serviceable at best. It's because of a lack of stability on that side of the ball.
LOL then where are those "plenty of highly coveted recruits on D?" Alabama has 3 or 4 true freshman making an impact on defense this year and quite frankly that's the case just about every year. So you're either not getting highly coveted defensive recruits or you are and the coaches are inept. It has to be one of the 2 considering AU is LAST in the SEC in total defense. And BTW, Chizik was not a coach. He was just a figure head..

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Kerryon will come into his own here soon. There was some good to be taken away from the heartbreak of last Saturday.

When your presumptive starter turns out to be a head case, these things happen. Sean White's play has been satisfactory. He isn't getting much help from his receivers.

Spot on on Duke, though.
I'm afraid that by the time of the Auburn vs Alabama game, the War Eagles may be fine tuned and working on all cylinders. Here's hoping this doesn't happen! Will that injured defensive lineman (Lawson, I think) return by then?

I've learned over the years that you can throw out both teams records when they meet unless one team is just TOTALLY dominant and has all the horses.

On a given day, stuff happens! Punt Bama Punt and Kick-six come to mind as just two examples.

Does Auburn play better at home than away? So far, Alabama seems to play better away than at home. Let's see how the LSU game at home goes. Hopefully, it will turn out that we are good at home as well as away, especially at Mittittippi Tate and Auburn.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

You don't think being last in total defense in the SEC is the main problem? Sure AU can improve elsewhere also but they need to start with the defense..

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

I'm afraid that by the time of the Auburn vs Alabama game, the War Eagles may be fine tuned and working on all cylinders. Here's hoping this doesn't happen! Will that injured defensive lineman (Lawson, I think) return by then?

I've learned over the years that you can throw out both teams records when they meet unless one team is just TOTALLY dominant and has all the horses.

On a given day, stuff happens! Punt Bama Punt and Kick-six come to mind as just two examples.

Does Auburn play better at home than away? So far, Alabama seems to play better away than at home. Let's see how the LSU game at home goes. Hopefully, it will turn out that we are good at home as well as away, especially at Mittittippi Tate and Auburn.
I agree with this.

I'm not confident about winning the Iron Bowl. The question in my mind is, will this be the middling AU team that got destroyed in 2011 or the middling AU team that gave Bama all they could handle in '09?

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

The thing is when Auburn is good and Alabama is weak, Auburn wins, they never blow Alabama out. When Alabama is good and Auburn is weak, blowouts tend to happen.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

The thing is when Auburn is good and Alabama is weak, Auburn wins, they never blow Alabama out. When Alabama is good and Auburn is weak, blowouts tend to happen.
The 1957 game was the first I ever listened to on radio and I NEVER forgave Auburn for that score. Wait! That game helped to get that guy to listen to Momma when she called.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

This is in reply to AUDub's post about AU's youth and loosely comparing AU to Bama.

After this year, AU will have had 2 winning SEC seasons out of the last eight. Bama has not lost more than 1 reg season game during that same time period except for the 10-3 5-3 year 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama

I agree with this.

I'm not confident about winning the Iron Bowl. The question in my mind is, will this be the middling AU team that got destroyed in 2011 or the middling AU team that gave Bama all they could handle in '09?
I wouldn't be either if I was an AU fan. ;)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

This is in reply to AUDub's post about AU's youth and loosely comparing AU to Bama.

After this year, AU will have had 2 winning SEC seasons out of the last eight. Bama has not lost more than 1 reg season game during that same time period except for the 10-3 5-3 year 5 years ago.
who's comparing us during this particular span? Y'all have been great. We've bouncing back and forth between poor and average with a couple of good years sprinkled in.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005

who's comparing us during this particular span? Y'all have been great. We've bouncing back and forth between poor and average with a couple of good years sprinkled in.
I'll admit Dub you guys are feast or famine. Y'all are either playing for the natty or missing out on a bowl....no in between. Last year was the first year I remember y'all having just an average season in the last 5 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.