Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

They brought it upon themselves. I do feel sorry for the Johnson kid.. the media overhyped him and Gus didn't tone it down. Tempered expectations would have gone a long way towards helping him, and I believe he melted down under the intense pressure. I've talked a lot about offenses and defenses complimenting one another, and under Malzahn that simply does not happen. I know Muschamp was desperate for work but Auburn wasn't the best option, IMO, because Malzahn doesn't value defense. He's only genuinely concerned with the offense.

Still, I have no idea what the capabilities are of this backup QB, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he comes in and tears it up - IF he is the prototypical Malzahn QB that can run the read-option.

All that said, I'll never begrudge Auburn to self-implode.
Muschamp was not deserpate for work. He had several offers.... He was a hot candidate...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Muschamp was not deserpate for work. He had several offers.... He was a hot candidate...
Oh I'm not saying he wasn't a hot candidate, I'm saying he was desperate in that he didn't want to sit on the sidelines for a year or two. He was desperate to get right back in the game. And he jumped on Auburn, stupidly, instead of weighing his options and taking a better job.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Totally agree. Coach Boom took the worst possible opening for a variety of reasons, most especially the lack of quality personnel to work with and a fanbase/administration that was going to expect miraculous results. I hope he got paid, not that his head coaching money from UF shouldn't have been enough....

He needs to be careful. API is just a whisker away from being 0-3 right now. A loss to MSU, which is at least a distinct possibility could put them in a tail spin. Ask Coach Cheezewhiz how fast they can turn on your down there.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

One thing is for certain. Flipping through the message boards, they are certainly "eating their young" over there....

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala

On Finebaum yesterday Jack Crowe essentially said that the Miss State game is a must-win for team morale. From his tone of voice it sounded to me like the morale must be pretty darn low. He also said that nobody can keep a secret at Auburn. I found that amusing.

*Side note: Jack Crowe's 1992 Arkansas team lost to The Citadel. I mention that because it is funny.
$ecret$ may get out at the Barn but for some rea$on it $eems to di$appear after they do.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Should have taken the South Carolina DC job. I've always thought that
It has always seemed odd that he took the job in boogville instead of USCe. He could have been in an easier division and if successful the head coaching job would have likely been his for the taking. Instead, he took a job that may only have one year job security if they fall flat on their face as they are prone to do down there in west Georgia. The boogs will have a very long season if they lose Saturday.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Is it just me or does this remind anyone of the dysfunctional way that the Dubose era spiraled out of control? Gus, like Dubose, is not a dominant personality. Like Dubose, it seems players nor the assistant coaches have much respect for him. And now it begins to look like coaches and players are "jockeying for position" in terms of survival.

Gus' now favorite tag line of "It is what it is" kind of reminded me of "a tremendous challenge and tremendous opportunity".

Maybe the SEC network is looking for a new game show to air during the week: "Dysfunctional Fambly Feud" hosted Patrick Fain Dye.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

Regarding the usc-e job....maybe he felt as if Spurrier only has a year left? If so, I can see believing there's more stability working under Gus. And there should be more talent there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Should have taken the South Carolina DC job. I've always thought that
I agree because SC would take him as HC when Spurt leaves. In all fairness to WM, he didn't recruit offensive players well (I think he learned that) but he had disastrous luck with injuries on defense, and didn't have enough time to build real depth. If he gets another chance as a HC at a school that can keep talent he will do a lot better than he did at Florida, IMO.
As for trouble on da plains....one word, karma.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Totally agree. Coach Boom took the worst possible opening for a variety of reasons, most especially the lack of quality personnel to work with and a fanbase/administration that was going to expect miraculous results. I hope he got paid, not that his head coaching money from UF shouldn't have been enough....

He needs to be careful. API is just a whisker away from being 0-3 right now. A loss to MSU, which is at least a distinct possibility could put them in a tail spin. Ask Coach Cheezewhiz how fast they can turn on your down there.
So true! He won the NC in Jan 2011 and was cut loose in 2012.....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

$ecret$ may get out at the Barn but for some rea$on it $eems to di$appear after they do.
Yeah, secrets kept in Godfather type fashion.....[violin music playing in the background]

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Is it just me or does this remind anyone of the dysfunctional way that the Dubose era spiraled out of control? Gus, like Dubose, is not a dominant personality. Like Dubose, it seems players nor the assistant coaches have much respect for him. And now it begins to look like coaches and players are "jockeying for position" in terms of survival.

Gus' now favorite tag line of "It is what it is" kind of reminded me of "a tremendous challenge and tremendous opportunity".

Maybe the SEC network is looking for a new game show to air during the week: "Dysfunctional Fambly Feud" hosted Patrick Fain Dye.
Jovon Robinson riding moozahn's case during the game is very telling.....

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn

I expect an offensive improvement with Sean White at QB. He is very talented. I recall watching the Elite 11, and although he was not considered the best of the QB's at the Elite 11, he was MVP. Same thing for the All America game. He seems to be a seize the opportunity type individual. I would also expect that the team would be just a little tired of Johnson's lack of performance, and rally around White.
With that said, I hope the Bulldogs kick their butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.