Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

They brought it upon themselves. I do feel sorry for the Johnson kid.. the media overhyped him and Gus didn't tone it down. Tempered expectations would have gone a long way towards helping him, and I believe he melted down under the intense pressure. I've talked a lot about offenses and defenses complimenting one another, and under Malzahn that simply does not happen. I know Muschamp was desperate for work but Auburn wasn't the best option, IMO, because Malzahn doesn't value defense. He's only genuinely concerned with the offense.

Still, I have no idea what the capabilities are of this backup QB, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he comes in and tears it up - IF he is the prototypical Malzahn QB that can run the read-option.

All that said, I'll never begrudge Auburn to self-implode.
I have to believe the media hyped Johnson because Malzahn did so to them.

He had one half of performance, plus a small amount of mop-up time, and every ink-stained wretch and talking head has him pre-ordained as All SEC and a Heisman candidate? No way that happens without Malzahn feeding them information.

Malzahn played them like Perlman plays a Stradivarius, and those guys don't like that. I expect a backlash. And yes, as others have already posted, it is beginning to have a DuBosian look and feel. After embarrassing his media contacts, Gus should expect no mercy if it does in fact melt down.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

This is absolutely the case. And who knows what Gus and his boys were saying behind the scenes. Given how little practice time is public these days, beat writers get a lot of information from anonymous chats with coaching staffs. Auburn clearly thought they had a stud, which now leads their fanbase to have serious doubts about their resident offensive wizard. Don't look behind the curtain.

I have to believe the media hyped Johnson because Malzahn did so to them.

He had one half of performance, plus a small amount of mop-up time, and every ink-stained wretch and talking head has him pre-ordained as All SEC and a Heisman candidate? No way that happens without Malzahn feeding them information.

Malzahn played them like Perlman plays a Stradivarius, and those guys don't like that. I expect a backlash. And yes, as others have already posted, it is beginning to have a DuBosian look and feel. After embarrassing his media contacts, Gus should expect no mercy if it does in fact melt down.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

One of my auburn buddies said that it now looks as though JJ looked so good because he was playing against auburn's own defense.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well they're doing the same thing with Sean White... comparing him to Tom Brady... *sighs* When are they gonna learn.
Yeah I guess they had to appease the cultists by instead of comparing an unproven qb to cam they had to compare him to a 4 time Super Bowl winning qb that is a few Tds away from 400 career Tds.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

But according to Cowherd Malzhan is the future of coaching right? Wasn't he the next big thing and had passed CNS as the best coach in the SEC according to cowherd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

But according to Cowherd Malzhan is the future of coaching right? Wasn't he the next big thing and had passed CNS as the best coach in the SEC according to cowherd?

....... is an idiot!! :rolleyes:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

I'd be bummed if my wife dressed me like that to.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

As long as the tiggers continue to have a disastrous season, and as long as Alabama turns the season around and eventually whips the aubies, I will be very happy.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Only one thing I would love more than the wheels falling off the auburn wagon..... for our wheels to start working right again. RTR!

I have no idea how our team will respond to this latest challenge. Hopefully they'll handle this adversity, grow together and benefit from it. One can hope. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.