Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Honestly wouldn't mind if y'all beat them. I played at Trussville and my kids are in the middle and elementary schools. They were a division rival last year.
OK so I'm on my way home from a Trussville game. A game that kicked off at 7:00pm. Just beat Manatee High from Bradenton, Florida, a team that some publications had ranked number 2 in Florida's 8A, 78-56. Halftime was a 9:00pm and it was 47-34 Trussville. One of our players, a UAB commit named Grayson Cash, had something like 250 yards on the ground with 4 TDs and 48 receiving on 2 catches with 2 TDs. I'm footballed out. Thank goodness kickoff is next week because I couldn't handle much more this week.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

OK so I'm on my way home from a Trussville game. A game that kicked off at 7:00pm. Just beat Manatee High from Bradenton, Florida, a team that some publications had ranked number 2 in Florida's 8A, 78-56. Halftime was a 9:00pm and it was 47-34 Trussville. One of our players, a UAB commit named Grayson Cash, had something like 250 yards on the ground with 4 TDs and 48 receiving on 2 catches with 2 TDs. I'm footballed out. Thank goodness kickoff is next week because I couldn't handle much more this week.
78-56 are you sure it wasn't a basketball game?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

78-56 are you sure it wasn't a basketball game?
My head hurts and I don't want to talk about it.

Honestly, Trussville had a defense that bottled up four star 10RC commit Ty Chandler in the second half last week (after he ran for 180 in the first). It was just a flippin shootout. We were in control after the second quarter, but man it dragged on.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Stan White is funny anytime during an AU game where they are getting beat. Nothing is ever the fault of the players. All penalties against AU are incorrect and the officials are obviously favoring their opponent. It's never ending and extremely comical. Trust me...listen to some of the Clemson game this year. There should be plenty of crying from both Stan and Rod in that game. Click the link just for a taste of these clowns during last year's Iron Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moF7Z2ggAo4
Yep that's pretty much par for the course for Stan & Rod. Remember this clip well. I started a thread with it in it right after the Iron Bowl. It's little brother syndrome @ its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Well, you guys might as well give up. Now. You have no chance. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

In a surprisingly defensive tussle, the team that wears too much orange lost to the "good guys", in red, white, and blue, by a final score of 25-7.

Allen and Hoover bottled each other up, pretty good, for most of 3Qs. Allen failed to score on its first drive. Hoover then scored their only TD, and Allen retaliated right after.

Hoover pushed a short FG attempt, to the right, halfway in Q2. Allen then made a long FG, to make it 10-7.

Allen added another long FG, in the 3rd. Around halfway in the quarter, Allen bottled up Hoover, at the 1, on a punt. Two plays later, Hoover's QB is called for intentional downing, while in the end zone. 15-7. Allen scores on the drive after the free kick, to make it 22-7. They added yet another long FG, in garbage time.

Both teams had their share of dropped passes, and had to contend with defenders in their back field, all night long. Hoover had the only interception of the game, halfway in Q4.

So, give up now. You are not going to hang 50, on them. Surrender now, it is all over. I'm sure they will iron out any kinks, on offense, so give up.

(Of course, injuries can change all of that. Don't count on that to save your season.)

OK, maybe Allen is not the offensive juggernaut it is used to be. It is possible, with a new coach. But, despite the score, Hoover has a good D. Unless Allen is now a shell of what it was. I doubt it.

Give up. Now.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Thats crazy. As loud as they are, I bet the actual sound isn't all that great. Way too many moving parts to tune the sound and clear up deficiencies. Still, it is a site to behold.
Well, they are loud. I sat next to the Hoover band, which is a large HS band (>300), and directly across from Allen's band. Now, you have to take into account Allen's brass section was facing me, while Hoover's is off to the side, in front, and pointing in the other direction.

Allen was louder.

"Yeah, but it can't sound good."

Maybe. Let's put it this way:

Hoover played music (if can call it that), from the musical movie, Grease. (GAG!) I could not make out any of the songs. (Not that I would want to.) The fact they played facing the home team was a large part of that.

No idea what Allen was playing, but I could make out the melody. Plus, they do not do a lot of marching and maneuvering. They can't: there just isn't room! So, they mainly stand in place, with only minimal marching. I'm sure that helps.

Their "signature" formation" is to spell EAGLES, in block letter style. They play the fight song, and march off while playing it.

So, you could say they concentrate on the music, because there is not much marching. I would say they sounded fine.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

OK, one last post..................

Talked to some of the Hoover band parents. They thought they had a big band. They use 7 buses, to move theirs around. The other teams hate it when Hoover shows up, as they dwarf the other schools, in terms of band size.

They are an animated bunch, playing and jumping around, all game. I can see where the other schools would hate them. They're big, they're loud, they're proud. And they let you know.

And across the field................>700 kids moving a lot more air. They are more reserve, they just drown you out, and let you they can drown you out. How the other teams manage to snap the ball................sometimes I wonder. Forget calling an audible, unless it is all with hand signals.

Especially if you are trying to score, on their end of the field. Forget it!

(That is what makes HS, and to a lesser extent college, football entertaining. Much more than watching over-paid prima donnas showboat when they make a routine play. Like they do, in the NFL. A bunch of energetic kids, having the time of their life, even if they don't know it, and won't until they are old and cranky, like the rest us!)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't think Malzahn's scheme requires an elite QB to be functional. The problem with his style of spread offense is that it can't really adequately mask a QB who is deficient in some areas. I don't think you see anyone doing what Malzahn does without a QB with some running ability. In fact, I think if they had to choose between a polished passer v. mostly a runner that it would be the runner every time. Their passing schemes really aren't all that great to be frank. They work but they only work with the run game humming. They're not Texas Tech or Washington State. His offenses are not built schematically or on the offensive line to be a pass leaning attack.

I think the only way Malzahn's scheme can work with a pro-style passer is if the QB is solid and their tailback rotation is near the top line in the SEC. They'd basically become a lot like us...focus on getting the tailbacks downhill, hit the percentage throws, pick their spots for going deep. It would be almost totally out of shotgun but with good enough tailbacks I think it could work for them. A pro-style spread that tries to lean on the run.

The concerning thing about Auburn's offense is the question marks at tailback. Johnson could make a big step up but they don't have the depth some of their better teams had at tailback.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Well, you guys might as well give up. Now. You have no chance. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

In a surprisingly defensive tussle, the team that wears too much orange lost to the "good guys", in red, white, and blue, by a final score of 25-7.

Allen and Hoover bottled each other up, pretty good, for most of 3Qs. Allen failed to score on its first drive. Hoover then scored their only TD, and Allen retaliated right after.

Hoover pushed a short FG attempt, to the right, halfway in Q2. Allen then made a long FG, to make it 10-7.

Allen added another long FG, in the 3rd. Around halfway in the quarter, Allen bottled up Hoover, at the 1, on a punt. Two plays later, Hoover's QB is called for intentional downing, while in the end zone. 15-7. Allen scores on the drive after the free kick, to make it 22-7. They added yet another long FG, in garbage time.

Both teams had their share of dropped passes, and had to contend with defenders in their back field, all night long. Hoover had the only interception of the game, halfway in Q4.

So, give up now. You are not going to hang 50, on them. Surrender now, it is all over. I'm sure they will iron out any kinks, on offense, so give up.

(Of course, injuries can change all of that. Don't count on that to save your season.)

OK, maybe Allen is not the offensive juggernaut it is used to be. It is possible, with a new coach. But, despite the score, Hoover has a good D. Unless Allen is now a shell of what it was. I doubt it.

Give up. Now.
It's too bad we don't have Hoover on the schedule this year. We got moved into a region that includes all of the northern schools in the state.* It'd be good to gauge just how good we really are because given the last two weeks against highly touted out of state competition, our offense has been absolutely ridiculous.

I was expecting a drop off after Jarrion Street and Zac Thomas (who broke an ankle early in the Hoover game last year) moved on to college. If we keep going at this pace offensively, then meeting them in the playoffs is a matter of inevitability. I've never seen a Trussville team with an offense like this, and I played 1 season with Brandon Cox.

*Here's the region map, by the way. Hate being the only Birmingham Metro team playing in a region with Gadsden, Grissom etc.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Auburn hoping to have a sellout for the Clemson game, maybe they thought the announcement of Shaun White as starting quarterback would excite and invigorate the fan base and get those tickets sold

Well, they are loud. I sat next to the Hoover band, which a large HS band (>300), and directly across from Allen's band. Now, you have to take into account Allen's brass section was facing me, while Hoover's is off to the side, in front, and pointing in the other direction.

Allen was louder.

"Yeah, but it can't sound good."

Maybe. Let's put it this way:

Hoover played music (if can call it that), from the musical movie, Grease. (GAG!) I could not make out any of the songs. (Not that I would want to.) The fact they played facing the home team was a large part of that.

No idea what Allen was playing, but I could make out the melody. Plus, they do not do a lot of marching and maneuvering. They can't: there just isn't room! So, they mainly stand in place, with only minimal marching. I'm sure that helps.

Their "signature" formation" is to spell EAGLES, in block letter style. They play the fight song, and march off while playing it.

So, you could say they concentrate on the music, because there is not much marching. I would say they sounded fine.
Thanks. It's easy to sound good standing still though. I did wonder how much marching was going on. I'll get a better feel after talking with one of my best friends. He was there last night too.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

We need a separate Battle of the bands thread

Meanwhile another good sign for Auburn is having a player arrested a week and a half before the first game. Bad sign though as he was not athletic enough to elude police

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Kind of early for basketball, isn't it?

Doesn't anyone play defense anymore?

Anyways, back to the Lawless Village on the Plains...:cool2:

Last edited:

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA

Stan White is funny anytime during an AU game where they are getting beat. Nothing is ever the fault of the players. All penalties against AU are incorrect and the officials are obviously favoring their opponent. It's never ending and extremely comical. Trust me...listen to some of the Clemson game this year. There should be plenty of crying from both Stan and Rod in that game. Click the link just for a taste of these clowns during last year's Iron Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moF7Z2ggAo4
I so enjoyed that!!

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

Nice completion by the Aubren qb on the 4th and goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.