Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Honestly wouldn't mind if y'all beat them. I played at Trussville and my kids are in the middle and elementary schools. They were a division rival last year.
Here's the deal. Allen HS has 4700 students. They have 800 kids in their band (you ought to see them try to march at halftime). Hoover, comparatively has about 2700 students.

So in terms of talent pool from which to draw, you can see why Allen has been pretty good for so many years here. I haven't heard anything about this year's team, but I expect them to be really good.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Here's the deal. Allen HS has 4700 students. They have 800 kids in their band (you ought to see them try to march at halftime). Hoover, comparatively has about 2700 students.

So in terms of talent pool from which to draw, you can see why Allen has been pretty good for so many years here. I haven't heard anything about this year's team, but I expect them to be really good.
Those are impressive numbers for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Those are impressive numbers for sure.

There are definitely some big schools in Texas. I went to Permian in the 70's and we were 2200 10-12. Probably about the same today but no way they can compete with the bigger schools like we did in the 70"s.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I am banking on this thread getting to One MILLION views by year end

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

May have been mentioned, but word by Malzahn is that the quarterback play and competition is so good that he cannot yet name a starter. He he he.

The ability of the defense to sub last will relegate Malzahn back to HS football in the end....imo. Checkmate, gimmick over. He has been neutralized.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Yep..................!

23 buses, to take the band on the road.

New coach, so who knows?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Heard Herbstreit say AU is a dark horse to win the SEC and he thinks AU will have one of the best defenses in the SEC this year. He did pick Alabama to win the SEC but I found his comments about AU interesting because Herbstreit is usually relatively accurate in his analysis..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Heard Herbstreit say AU is a dark horse to win the SEC and he thinks AU will have one of the best defenses in the SEC this year. He did pick Alabama to win the SEC but I found his comments about AU interesting because Herbstreit is usually relatively accurate in his analysis..
Their DL will be very good, but with Kevin Steele at the helm, I see zero chance of them being very good. Just look at how badly LSU stepped back last year in just one season under his 'tutelage'...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Kirk is good at times and not so good at the other times..lol
I saw the segment, he had to pick a dark horse, so he pick auburn. he also pick LSU in 2014 and auburn in 2015 if I recall to win the SEC. anyway, I posted this awhile back regarding their DL and defensive recruiting under Gus :

on paper, their Defensive Line is good as anybody in the country. they have recruited very, very well better than anyone not name Alabama. their DL consist of Lawson ( 5*), Adams (5*) Brown ( 5*) and Davidson ( former 5*) and Cowart ( 5*) they also signed 2 4* with Coe and Jackson in 2016. their DLine will be their strength. amazing how they have attracted some of the top DL players in the last 4 years. their defense has been horrid yet they continue to get top defensive players on the dline. where they have failed miserably is the LB recruitment over the years. the secondary has been a hit and miss.

so in essence, they will live and die with how their DL performs this season.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Their DL will be very good, but with Kevin Steele at the helm, I see zero chance of them being very good. Just look at how badly LSU stepped back last year in just one season under his 'tutelage'...
not only did he ruined LSU, he messed up Clemson during his time there as well!!

but hey, the auburn faithful believe he's one of the best in the business..:wink:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

The Auburn football coaching staff is better in 2016 than in 2015, when coaches didn't like each other, according to former Tigers coach Pat Dye.

Didn't like each other or didn't like Malzhan?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

One of every five students is in the band?!? :eek2:

Got a pic of when they are on the field?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Agreed. Frankly I was surprised they didn't hire him the last time. They just seem destined for each other.
It was a matter of timing. At the time, Petrino (motorcycle and maiden) was a little too hot to handle. Even the NTYF couldn't put enough spin on going from a 5-19 hire to him...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Kirk knows how well they cheat... :cool2:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

He made the same pick in 10 and came out looking like a genius. I wouldn't put much stock in it though. Everyone wants to be Nostradamus this time of year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

He made the same pick in 10 and came out looking like a genius. I wouldn't put much stock in it though. Everyone wants to be Nostradamus this time of year.
If Auburn is hiding Cam Newton someplace they'll be fine. Otherwise? I think that Auburn is in trouble.

If I look at the 2010 season, without Cam Newton (assuming even a good replacement) Auburn would certainly have lost several games.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Nick Saban stated publicly that AU was an 8-4 team sans Newton. Even with him they beat MSU 17-14, Clemson 27-24, USCe 35-27, Ky 37-34, LSU 24-17, and of course the Bama game with all of the crazy plays. All games AU could have and in some cases should have lost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.