Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: This Overlooked Fact Gives auburn 11 National Titles

It's a message board. By nature, the crazies will be very vocal. Go to any other fan message board and see for yourself.

Do you believe the majority of Auburn fans are loons? I lend that about as much credence I would if someone said the majority of Alabama fans are loons.
As someone who has a mother, sister, and stepfather who are all Auburn fans...and many more friends, I have to answer yes and no.

They (the majority I know) are all very rational until it comes to the Iron Bowl. Then it goes beyond friendly rivalry and becomes a nice alibi in case someone gets murdered. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

It's a message board. By nature, the crazies will be very vocal. Go to any other fan message board and see for yourself.

Do you believe the majority of Auburn fans are loons? I lend that about as much credence I would if someone said the majority of Alabama fans are loons.
As someone who married into a very deep barn family...yes and no. They're fine until the week of the ua/au game...or until someone mentions Alabama (insert whatever here)...at that point, the vast majority of them fall off the deep end. They seem to know more about the REC than most Bama fans! ;)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Do you believe the majority of Auburn fans are loons?
Put me in the "yes and no" category.

In brief, the Aubs that I know, who are my age an up, are decent guys. They'll actually want to engage in an intelligent conversation, about everything to the last Iron Bowl to the best place to get burgers/Tex-Mex, or whatever.

The problem seemed to start when that character "Where's my pants?" Dye stepped foot on your campus. That is when the noticeable shift from friendly rival, that you could actually get along with and be buddies, to loon took place. And it has just gone downhill, from that point forward.

Granted, that is my limited observation, from way over here, in Texas, where I no longer have to encounter "you people" on a daily basis.

Obviously, there are exceptions. The exceptions seem to be able to maintain their sense of humor, and not let it go out the window, when surrounded by "the enemy".

(Sound like anyone we all might know?)

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Some of the Auburn fans I know are great people, just picked the wrong team. Others are alumni and I understand that, at least in part. The ones who bother me most are those who use their holier than thou attitude. They really believe Auburn and its fans are morally superior to Alabama fans.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Put me in the "yes and no" category.

In brief, the Aubs that I know, who are my age an up, are decent guys. They'll actually want to engage in an intelligent conversation, about everything to the last Iron Bowl to the best place to get burgers/Tex-Mex, or whatever.

The problem seemed to start when that character "Where's my pants?" Dye stepped foot on your campus. That is when the noticeable shift from friendly rival, that you could actually get along with and be buddies, to loon took place. And it has just gone downhill, from that point forward.

Granted, that is my limited observation, from way over here, in Texas, where I no longer have to encounter "you people" on a daily basis.

Obviously, there are exceptions. The exceptions seem to be able to maintain their sense of humor, and not let it go out the window, when surrounded by "the enemy".

(Sound like anyone we all might know?)
I would agree with you and add, any people I personally know that happen to be fans of the Lee County Quagmire are decent albeit misguided people. (They think the same of me no doubt but the difference is that I am right :) I believe you can trace this current nastiness directly to the popularity of the internet, specifically anonymous chat boards. We all have a little weirdness inside that most of us have learned to control as we matured. But there is something about being able to throw stones from an anonymous place and person that brings that weirdness to the surface. IMO, an internet that requires personal and verified identification in order to post public commentary would eliminate problems in every area of human relations. People who know they will be accountable for their actions and statements tend to communicate in a measured manner. TideFans is an excellent example of this theory.
-------------
While my ID is relatively anonymous on the board, were I to post false information that really mattered (threats, slander etc), our benevolent dictator or our mods could easily identify me to the appropriate authority. Everyone has a measure of protection in this way.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Some of the Auburn fans I know are great people, just picked the wrong team. Others are alumni and I understand that, at least in part. The ones who bother me most are those who use their holier than thou attitude. They really believe Auburn and its fans are morally superior to Alabama fans.
This X infinity! I've seen it many times and it baffles me.

I will add that I know plenty of Auburn fans who seem to be well adjusted people until they start trying to discuss Auburn football...not the game itself but Auburn's relationship to Bama.

For instance, I saw it when many who fall into this catagory were blind to Cam's disgraceful handling of his PC. It's almost like their effort to support all things Auburn keeps them from seeing something as plain as the nose on their face.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Do you believe the majority of Auburn fans are loons?
Responding to this requires a rather broad view of things.

I think it is valid to consider why any team in Alabama could have a large fanbase. The state isn't all that big, so when Alabama outdoes every college aside from Texas in merch sales, it gives you something to ponder. The explanation for Alabama isn't that hard to come by though. Alabama is in the heart of SEC country, the state doesn't have any notable professional teams, Alabama put southern football on the map with a Rose Bowl win, and Bear Bryant established Alabama as the dominant football program during his reign. Nick Saban has just affirmed Alabama as the top football program in the nation. So, it's not all that hard to get why Alabama is as popular as they are.

Auburn though? Auburn is a distant second to Alabama, but the pertinent question becomes how have they been able to keep from lagging helplessly behind to the point of falling into obscurity? Logically, having a monster like Alabama in a smaller state would tend to suck the air out of the room. Yet, Auburn has remained relevant. I would argue that much of that relevance is via Alabama. If a recruit can't go to Alabama, Auburn becomes viable, if a fan doesn't like Alabama, Auburn becomes the team to cheer for, if you like underdogs in general? There's Auburn. I don't think it is coincidence that Auburn rose to heights unseen in a very long time at the same time Alabama was peaking as well. Alabama achieving success also stirred up the other side as well.

I have called out the fans I believe are marginalized on the Alabama side. The ones that care too much about Auburn, the ones that would cheer against Auburn even if it would cause Alabama to suffer. That's not healthy, that's not a good viewpoint to have. From what I have seen though, a very large percentage of Auburn fans have this very viewpoint about Alabama. I've seen Alabama losses celebrated as joyfully as Auburn wins. There is a pervasive, just as long as Alabama loses mentality, and it's not healthy. Auburn fans shouldn't care that much about Alabama, simple as that.

So, where do the loons come into play? I have no issue with people that became Auburn fans "honestly". If you grew up near Auburn, if your parents were Auburn fans, if you went to Auburn, or perhaps grew up idolizing Bo Jackson, I can get becoming an Auburn fan. That makes sense, that's perfectly normal. If you did it because you were tired of hearing about Alabama? If you did it because Alabama fans got on your nerves? If you cheered for Auburn because they were not Alabama, because they were the rival to Alabama, etc...? Well, you might be entering the loon category, in which case you might be driven by hatred. The problem is those fans poison the well for everyone in my opinion, and help to make the entire thing unhealthy. If your entire reason for cheering for someone is because you dislike the other person, well what positives can they bring to the rivalry?

On another note, in a thrift store I found a honorary Auburn football scholarship signed by some guy named Ralph Jordan, heh.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Well said, KrAzY and the exact same thing can be said about other fanbases including Alabama's. Loons don't just reside in Lee County they are everywhere.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Wikipedia credits Auburn University for inventing the family concept

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Having a son attending Auburn gives me a little perspective. I've moved away from talking with him about anything "Auburn related" except his education. His fandom does, at times, seem to border on lunacy. At times it is just down right creepy. Auburn people are allowed to be critical of all things Auburn. But God forbid an "outsider" say anything remotely critical of the program. The "hunker in the bunker" mentality comes rolling out. There is nothing the least bit objective in it.

It hasn't always been that way. My late brother did his graduate work at Auburn and taught there. My wife is an Auburn girl. Both of them loved the university. But they always kept their objectivity. The mentality expressed by many today it something that troubled my brother when he was on faculty there over 30 years ago. He predicted it. When Dye came to Auburn in 1980, there was a "shift". Today, it is like they begin the "you are either with us or against us " brainwashing at Camp War Eagle. It is cultish.

To hear my son parrot things like "Alabama people love Alabama football. Auburn people love Auburn" is just an example. Seriously? Alabama people can't love their university as deeply as a Auburn people? You've got to be kidding me.

Do we have "loons" in our fan base? Absolutely. All fan bases do. However, I don't get the sense Alabama "indoctrinates" the lunacy from the day students set foot on campus.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL

Most of them who I know would rather Auburn lose than Alabama win. They cheer more/care more about Alabama losing than they do for Auburn winning. It's very strange and I've given up trying to understand it. It's psychotic...

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/05/an-amazing-photo-of-pat-dye-and-david-housel/

When these two aholes are held up as au legends then it is easy to understand why auburn people are the way they are. Would you want these two representing your school?
Win at all costs, that's all that matters to the majority of barners. I would bet there will be 'good riddance' parades all through out Lee County if CNS ever decides to retire.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Reports out that Dameyune Craig might be headed to Baton Rouge after giving Gus a "Rhett or me" ultimatum. Link

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Reports out that Dameyune Craig might be headed to Baton Rouge after giving Gus a "Rhett or me" ultimatum. Link
I'm thinking Gus and Rhett need to go back to Arkansas high school football. I can't believe either one are in the position they are in with their resumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.