Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

After three pages of Google results, I stopped looking. The only thing related to "system QB" I found was based on questions if he's good because of the Seattle defense.
LOL bro are you serious? Where on earth did you come up with that? Here's the first page:

I checked. Those links discuss the perception that his success is the product of their offensive system.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

LOL bro are you serious? Where on earth did you come up with that? Here's the first page:

I checked. Those links discuss the perception that his success is the product of their offensive system.
So you're saying Seattle using a mobile QB while running a more pro-style offense with some RPOs helps Gus and Auburn? I thought you meant he was labeled a system QB coming out of college since we are discussing college offense after all.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Gus's career is built on a once in a lifetime player and two miracle plays in 2013. I may be proven wrong, but I expect defenses will continue to get better against his offense and he will be gone from Auburn sooner rather than later.
only thing I'll add is that officiating has caught up too. Without their misses the miracle plays wouldn't have mattered in 2013 either

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Gus's career is built on a once in a lifetime player and two miracle plays in 2013. I may be proven wrong, but I expect defenses will continue to get better against his offense and he will be gone from Auburn sooner rather than later.
I don't disagree with this at all - except to note that he first forged his rep with that 2006 Arky backfield that won the West and had McFadden and Jones in the backfield.

Otherwise, I agree. And I never could understand why Cowherd even tried that "Gus is gonna own Saban" argument (other than shock value). Malzahn's offense got 21 points on us in 2009 and lost. Everyone got a little misled by the whole "Alabama trailing the whole game" thing but they owed their first two TDs to basic trickery - used by teams not good enough to compete straight up.

In 2010 - well, I guess we can blame us. If we had not left so many points on the board in the first half, I don't care how good Cam Newton is, he would not have brought them back from 42-0 down. And then in 2011 - his offense didn't score a single point against us (just like the 2012 team where he was gone).

And btw - if just ONE of those miracle plays doesn't happen (okay, I'll be fair - the Chris Davis play was great execution - Ricardo Louis was such damned luck I still cannot believe it) - Gus probably watches us clinch a three-peat. If they lose to UGA, we win the West anyway and play FSU when Ohio State loses.

But here's something for folks to consider - since the Kick Six, Gus's coaching record is 16-12, with an SEC record of 6-10, two straight losses to Alabama, and he's lost to every single team in the SEC West since then. And those 16 wins include flat out surviving the opponent's incompetence against K State and Ole Miss (remember Treadwell's fumble going into the end zone) in 2014 and Louisville and Jax State in 2015. He could very easily be 12-16.

If he doesn't find him a quarterback, he's got some real problems.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't disagree with this at all - except to note that he first forged his rep with that 2006 Arky backfield that won the West and had McFadden and Jones in the backfield.

Otherwise, I agree. And I never could understand why Cowherd even tried that "Gus is gonna own Saban" argument (other than shock value). Malzahn's offense got 21 points on us in 2009 and lost. Everyone got a little misled by the whole "Alabama trailing the whole game" thing but they owed their first two TDs to basic trickery - used by teams not good enough to compete straight up.

In 2010 - well, I guess we can blame us. If we had not left so many points on the board in the first half, I don't care how good Cam Newton is, he would not have brought them back from 42-0 down. And then in 2011 - his offense didn't score a single point against us (just like the 2012 team where he was gone).

And btw - if just ONE of those miracle plays doesn't happen (okay, I'll be fair - the Chris Davis play was great execution - Ricardo Louis was such damned luck I still cannot believe it) - Gus probably watches us clinch a three-peat. If they lose to UGA, we win the West anyway and play FSU when Ohio State loses.

But here's something for folks to consider - since the Kick Six, Gus's coaching record is 16-12, with an SEC record of 6-10, two straight losses to Alabama, and he's lost to every single team in the SEC West since then. And those 16 wins include flat out surviving the opponent's incompetence against K State and Ole Miss (remember Treadwell's fumble going into the end zone) in 2014 and Louisville and Jax State in 2015. He could very easily be 12-16.

Everyone focuses on the UGA and UA games because of the finishes. Remember they needed a last minute TD against Mississippi State early in the season. And they still almost lost to TAMU after JFF got injured.

If those four games are flipped, should we expect him to still be at Auburn after 7-5, 8-4, and 6-6 regular seasons?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Wouldn't go that far. Ole Miss got away with an illegal man downfield on y'all last season on a long TD pass.
please don't mistake my post to mean they catch it all the time, only that what they are catching now is helping to curb the effects

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yers-arrested-drug-charges-saturday/83832444/

Four Auburn players (Byron Cowart, Carlton Davis, Ryan Davis and Jeremiah Dinson) arrested over the weekend on marijuana charges. Granted, these are only misdemeanor charges and can easily be written off as "boys will be boys," but it shows that not all is well at the loveliest little village.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

In 2010 - well, I guess we can blame us. If we had not left so many points on the board in the first half, I don't care how good Cam Newton is, he would not have brought them back from 42-0 down.
Saban let his foot off of their throat and paid for it. Notice that that was the last time he let his foot off of their throats...? Remember that poster "Never Again"? That was what it was about. :cool2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Saban let his foot off of their throat and paid for it. Notice that that was the last time he let his foot off of their throats...? Remember that poster "Never Again"? That was what it was about. :cool2:
I don't think Ingram's fumble through the end zone had anything at all to do with Saban's plan to let his foot off their throats. Then Barron got hurt and was having trouble stopping someone who turned out to be one of the NFL's best players. It was just bad luck, but there was no letting up as far as I could tell.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't think Ingram's fumble through the end zone had anything at all to do with Saban's plan to let his foot off their throats. Then Barron got hurt and was having trouble stopping someone who turned out to be one of the NFL's best players. It was just bad luck, but there was no letting up as far as I could tell.
Between Ingram's fumble and the sack-fumble of McElroy at the Auburn 12, I believe it's safe to say Alabama left anywhere between 3-14 points off the board in the first half. IOW, Alabama could have easily been up 27-7 or 38-7 at halftime.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Success can only go so far when it's grounded in amazing, once in a lifetime types of plays. The luck ran out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.