Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

But here's something for folks to consider - since the Kick Six, Gus's coaching record is 16-12, with an SEC record of 6-10, two straight losses to Alabama, and he's lost to every single team in the SEC West since then. And those 16 wins include flat out surviving the opponent's incompetence against K State and Ole Miss (remember Treadwell's fumble going into the end zone) in 2014 and Louisville and Jax State in 2015. He could very easily be 12-16.

If he doesn't find him a quarterback, he's got some real problems.

Didn't gus have Nick Marshall, as a senior, when the barn started to unravel?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I don't think Ingram's fumble through the end zone had anything at all to do with Saban's plan to let his foot off their throats. Then Barron got hurt and was having trouble stopping someone who turned out to be one of the NFL's best players. It was just bad luck, but there was no letting up as far as I could tell.
True, but our play-calling became very conservative when we got up 24-0...:cool2:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Between Ingram's fumble and the sack-fumble of McElroy at the Auburn 12, I believe it's safe to say Alabama left anywhere between 3-14 points off the board in the first half. IOW, Alabama could have easily been up 27-7 or 38-7 at halftime.
iirc, trent also dropped a pass on the goal line when he could have walked in

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Success can only go so far when it grounded in amazing, once in a lifetime types of plays. The luck ran out.
AU has had a winning SEC record twice in the last 8 years, with a record of 30-34. Aside from those 2 seasons, they are 15-33. Bama has lost more than 1 SEC game only once during that time - 5-3 in 2010, with an SEC record of 56-8.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

iirc, trent also dropped a pass on the goal line when he could have walked in
You are correct. Bama kicked a field goal a couple of plays later. There's another 4 points.

I know some (Auburn and Alabama) fans will claim this talk is just making excuses or whatever, but I don't look at it like that. Just seeing the missed opportunities Bama had in the first half to put Auburn away and end the game. No way Auburn comes back in that game if UA scores a TD on every first half possession and leads 42-7.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

You are correct. Bama kicked a field goal a couple of plays later. There's another 4 points.

I know some (Auburn and Alabama) fans will claim this talk is just making excuses or whatever, but I don't look at it like that. Just seeing the missed opportunities Bama had in the first half to put Auburn away and end the game. No way Auburn comes back in that game if UA scores a TD on every first half possession and leads 42-7.
i felt like we got the momentum and we're doing whatever we wanted and got complacent, coaches and players. then we couldn't get back on track in the second half.

the barn, like in dumb and dumber, only needs to know that they have a chance

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

i felt like we got the momentum and we're doing whatever we wanted and got complacent, coaches and players. then we couldn't get back on track in the second half.

the barn, like in dumb and dumber, only needs to know that they have a chance
That's the most painful game in recent memory for me. However, what you mention is Auburn in a nutshell.

But in a way that game paved the way for Auburn's fall too. It gave them the big head and led to a lot of their problems after they won their first NC in over 50 years.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

That's the most painful game in recent memory for me. However, what you mention is Auburn in a nutshell.

But in a way that game paved the way for Auburn's fall too. It gave them the big head and led to a lot of their problems after they won their first NC in over 50 years.
Only 47 more years until their next one...:cool2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

As we're addressing the 2010 Camback, allow me an anecdote.

BDS - from what it looked like on TV - was alive and kicking that first half. My Eugene, Oregon buddy called me at halftime (remember - that game was on a Friday, the day after Thanksgiving). He was raving about us, saying 'it's obvious you guys would have won it all again if not for that scheduling nonsense' - in fact, that scheduling nonsense is why in July 2010, he projected that we would lose two games - South Carolina and EITHER LSU or Auburn...he actually got that year insanely close to correct.

He's raving about us, and I'm telling him apprehensively, "Yeah, but we should be up somewhere between 35 or 42 to 7; we left too many points on the field, and I've seen teams lose games like this too many times. If we give up a quick touchdown to start the half, we've got a major problem."

I was still on the phone with him when Newton hit the bomb. After the game, I was in a little bit of shock and dismay. I remember thinking it felt like the whole momentum shifted at halftime.

In August 2012, I began planning to go to the Michigan game here in Dallas. One guy I talked to is a graduate of the UA law school who - just by chance - had bought some Alabama tapes from me back in 2000. I was talking about that particular game and said, "It seemed like the whole momentum and crowd frenzy shifted at halftime."

He then told me, "I was in the stadium that day - and you're right. It was almost like a great party the first half and suddenly YOU COULD FEEL IT IN THE STADIUM shifting." I told him that's exactly what it looked like on TV.

I'm not going to butcher Saban for that particular game. Ingram could fumble that same ball 99 other times and not once would it do what it did. And we failed to execute on both sides of the ball (Barron's injury was just a bonus for Auburn).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Saban let his foot off of their throat and paid for it. Notice that that was the last time he let his foot off of their throats...? Remember that poster "Never Again"? That was what it was about. :cool2:
Well using that definition of 'let his foot off their throat' (and I don't think anyone anywhere agrees with that assessment), we damn near blew the 2013 ATM game in College Station, where we led, 35-14, didn't we?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

From ITAT. Yeah Gus Malzhan teams are so well coached that they blew a 21-3 lead against FSU in the National Championship Game. The next year in 2014 with 15 returning starters and a 5th straight top 10 recruiting class, they failed miserably to have back to back 10 win seasons.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I remember those posts around here in from 2003 to 2006. yikes.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

From the post above, how can you have that many top 10 recruiting classes and no talent? Or is there a question concerning coaching? (See Ricardo Louis) You lose probably your best recruiter Dameyune Craig and replace him with Kodi Burns? That is a great staff to watch down there. Can't wait to hear who could be a Heisman candidate or who is "unblockable" this year during fall camp.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

The best thing about it is they are having to ask themselves if they are still behind their coach. Never a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.