Dixieland Delight???

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
We sit on the other end zone from the students. I've never heard Dixieland delight as loud and as clear as we did Saturday. And it was LOUD and CLEAR! And it was sang for the entire last half of the 4th quarter almost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I was sitting near the endzone around u3d and they were VERY clearly singing it A-cappella at one point last night near the end. Even send a tweet to jess n. When it happened. They also chanted "Dixie land delight" several times. These events happened. And as soon as they did, almost as if on command, some music came on and drowned them out to the tune of boos.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
ditto

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The University of _______ has more important things going on that make us LOOK BAD. #1: Race relations. #2: Student politics. #3: Current reputation of being a party school/drug sanctuary again. #4: Fraternity hazing...

RTR.
Please excuse my modification of your quote, but you could just about fill in the blank. And yes, I have sent boys and girls to Alabama. In my opinion, there are a lot more good reasons to send a child there than negative reasons not to send them. RTR

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would probably get banned if I explained everything I think about this...because I'd go to preaching...A preacher I is.:wink:

However, while I preach against drinking, cursing, sex outside of marriage, etc... I understand everyone has to decide for themselves how they will live...it's your right as an American and a person given free moral agency by God. In my work, I'm an "informer" not an "enforcer." I deal in information and persuasion.

That said, I think it's crude that anyone would dismiss the public chanting of arguably the crudest of all words just because the ones doing it:

1. Are college kids
2. Have been drinking
3. Could be doing much worse things
4. There are more serious problems than this
5. It's a word kids hear/learn by the time they are _______...etc...etc...etc...

The difference here, IMO, is what you decide to do, say, or support is your right/choice as long as it doesn't negatively affect/harm others. Because this is a public setting shouldn't there be some common decency and respect shown to those who don't believe in such language?

Besides that, the whole Dixie Land Delight stadium rendition is just unclassy, rather than classy as we Tidefans like to see ourselves.

DaleC76

3rd Team
Dec 5, 2006
Could be my imagination, but I actually think they may have toned back the piped music from what it was last year. There were some games last year I hardly heard the band at all. This year seems to be a bit more of a balance.

I also don't think they played Sweet Caroline Saturday, which used to be a BDS staple.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
If they'd just play it and get it over with it would be better imo.

I have spent a lot of time in Bryant Denny, both in and out of the students section, and there is one thing I can tell you for sure. If people were offended by the additional lyrics before, how are they going to feel when students start to continuously chant the added lyrics the entire 4th quarter?

It will happen...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Now get off my lawn!
I'll second that, for no reason other than............well, get off my lawn!

Probably the only good thing about getting old is that it won't be long before I forget I even have a lawn. And all the time I will save not having to fret over it.

Back to whatever we were kvetching about............whatever it was............I seem to have forgotten.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'll also remake my complaint about piping the band through the speakers. Sitting on the opposite side from them, I get the speakers behind me and the delayed sound coming across the field, resulting in a discordant mess that's nigh on impossible to clap along to. Now get off my lawn!
start clapping in 13/8, it should eventually resolve, or you'll just get tired of clapping

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
So has it been banned or not?
it appears that it has
Last year bill battle made the statement that the song was in danger of NEVER being played again dependent on fans stopping the naughty chant.

Sure enough, the next game was the iron bowl and it was by FAR the loudest I've ever heard it. Then come this year sure enough, it wasn't being played at home games.

There was ONE notable exception: we we're down to ole miss in the 4th but coming back. I think they may have shattered the "break in case of emergency" glass to do anything to get the fans (that stayed, yeah, small jab) back into the game.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Please excuse my modification of your quote, but you could just about fill in the blank. And yes, I have sent boys and girls to Alabama. In my opinion, there are a lot more good reasons to send a child there than negative reasons not to send them. RTR
Drinking and drug use is absolutely out of control in Tuscaloosa currently. That environment doesn't suit everyone's personality and that is why as a graduate of U of A, it broke my heart for my child to not go there. The negatives outweighed the positives for us and thank GOD we had the freedom to choose. I don't love Alabama any less for the problems we have. The point you missed is that we have way more serious issues than a freaking song sung at a football game.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Drinking and drug use is absolutely out of control in Tuscaloosa currently. That environment doesn't suit everyone's personality and that is why as a graduate of U of A, it broke my heart for my child to not go there. The negatives outweighed the positives for us and thank GOD we had the freedom to choose. I don't love Alabama any less for the problems we have. The point you missed is that we have way more serious issues than a freaking song sung at a football game.
Nope, didn't miss your point about the song at all, just didn't comment on it because it's not a big deal to me. My other comments are a big deal to me.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Last year bill battle made the statement that the song was in danger of NEVER being played again dependent on fans stopping the naughty chant.

Sure enough, the next game was the iron bowl and it was by FAR the loudest I've ever heard it. Then come this year sure enough, it wasn't being played at home games.

There was ONE notable exception: we we're down to ole miss in the 4th but coming back. I think they may have shattered the "break in case of emergency" glass to do anything to get the fans (that stayed, yeah, small jab) back into the game.
Not to be picky, but it was played between the 3rd and 4th quarters at the MTSU game.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Not to be picky, but it was played between the 3rd and 4th quarters at the MTSU game.
And the chant was there, just as loud, just as clear. Can't see any reason to break it out and play it again... clearly, the students have a singular intent with that song. Sad... it did motivate the crowd and provided a nice change of pace to the pervasive hip hop that's been there this year. I'm not a fan of country OR hip hop per se but all of either is too much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.