Dixieland Delight???

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
Just was curious for anyone who went to the MTSU game, did they play Dixieland Delight? We haven't had a home game since the Iron Bowl to see if they would still play it. I would hate to lose that song. It just makes me feel "at home" when I hear it at BDS. Not a song you would really hear at most stadiums and just fits for us. Just was curious as I didn't hear it on the SEC Network broadcast and didn't think to recheck for it before I deleted it from the DVR. Thanks

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
They played it - late fourth quarter. By that time the student section was fairly empty. I actually didn't hear anyone singing but I was not that close to the student section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's a great song ruined by the uh 'added material'

Listening to the cute Southern belle last fall dropping 'f' bombs during the song (I was at the Florida game) was disgusting.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I'm in the North Endzone next to the opposing team section I heard everyone singing it just fine, they cut off the second half of the song though. I was really annoyed at MTSUs band they kept trying to play over our band and it was hard to hear and sounded like crap. They did accidentally play Rammer Jammer at one point and a large portion of people sang it at them while their band played it. But when MDB played it they played loud so their fans couldn't hear :(

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Good grief, people. Let college kids be college kids. They're not 45 yr old fuddy duddys, yet. LOL
personally, i found the booing of griffith to be much more classless than the use of crass/blue language during a song.

noting that there may significant overlap between the "offenders" in both cases.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
To de-rail this further...am i the only one that thinks they've killed a super tradition in the don't let the crowd get a good "Rolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Tide Rolllllllllllllllll" before the kickoffs? Now they have a bunch of screaming and loud music piped in (to where you can't even hear the ref's whistle), and the crowd gets about a 5 sec Roll in before the kick. But yeah, lets play something for the 18 year old kids to drop f bombs to. smh

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Yep, I was there and I heard it played. It's sad that the students don't have enough class and temperance to not swear during the song.

I am fairly certain it won't be played again because of the immaturity of the students in BDS. So I hope they enjoyed it last weekend.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For those who support these "college kids being college kids" I've got one question for you:

Would you want those "college kids" using that type of language around your kids, mom, grandmother or preacher?

All those types of people are there in BDS every Saturday and I can tell you everyone of them are disgusted by the "added" words of this song.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
As others have said, they played part of it, and student section sang to the part played. I'm old school, admittedly, so my view is to keep the song, change the added words to show some class.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For those who support these "college kids being college kids" I've got one question for you:

Would you want those "college kids" using that type of language around your kids, mom, grandmother or preacher?

All those types of people are there in BDS every Saturday and I can tell you everyone of them are disgusted by the "added" words of this song.
well, i started going to games in 1978 when i was 8 and our tickets (and later the sections we ushered as boy scouts) were always in the end zone next to the greek section. i heard and saw plenty, and they even had the gall to sing rammer jammer before the game started in those days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
well, i started going to games in 1978 when i was 8 and our tickets (and later the sections we ushered as boy scouts) were always in the end zone next to the greek section. i heard and saw plenty, and they even had the gall to sing rammer jammer before the game started in those days.
Not that I agree with Rammer Jammer, but let's face it, it is rated "PG" compared to the added words of Dixie Land Delight.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
personally, i found the booing of griffith to be much more classless than the use of crass/blue language during a song.
I'd tend to agree with that. I mean seriously, I can have a lot more respect for someone that uses colorful language than I do for someone that enjoys booing an amateur athlete trying his best, and heck a Polish orphan at that.

Do you really want me to counter this? I knew a preacher that was a swinger... I know (and I'm saying personally mind you) another that stole from his church (he was a racist to). I never heard of any of them swear though, so there's that. There's a lot worse things people can do than cuss.

For the record I don't sing the song, because I can't stand country, but there's enough people doing actually offensive things in this world to keep me from worrying too much about language.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Do you really want me to counter this? I knew a preacher that was a swinger... I know (and I'm saying personally mind you) another that stole from his church. There's a lot worse things people can do than cuss.
I won't make this personal since I am a preacher (and I know you and I have shared some PMs about faith/religion in the past).

But just remember there are "bad" apples in every bin. Whatever it is that you do for a living I can guarantee there are some "bad" people who don't do what they are supposed to do. It's life...the human condition...Hypocrisy on the part of a few should never empower or encourage wrong. There may be many things "worse" than cussing, but that doesn't make it less distasteful/wrong to those it offends.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
When do the threads about the students not showing up or leaving early start again? I do not support the language but got caught up in it while a student. I would rather have a loud passionate crowed then an older sitting on hands subdue crowed. Can't have the loudest and best game crowed and complain about them getting into it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.