Dixieland Delight???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not sure how I missed this thread last month, but I love this post!! Do I wish the student section wouldn't use it during this song? Sure. But I'm surely not going to lose sleep over it. Drunk kids in their early 20's do stupid stuff on a consistent basis. It's part of growing up. Doesn't matter how good of a job their parents did in raising them, when they are out having fun, they will do things they regret later.

The University of Alabama has more important things going on that make us LOOK BAD. #1: Race relations. #2: Student politics. #3: Current reputation of being a party school/drug sanctuary again. #4: Fraternity hazing. I could go on and on. I know many people, including myself, who are glad our daughters aren't at the University in 2015. Breaks my heart to say that, too!! But Dixieland Delight, sung 5-6 times a year with vulgar language just isn't on the top of my list of things to lose sleep over.

RTR.
I'll respectfully disagree with the bolded part (and with any use of the F-word for that matter).
I don't drink and I wish no one did, but getting drunk is very irresponsible and actually causes/contributes to many of the problems you later list in your post.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I wish the administrators at my alma mater would spend time addressing its many real issues with the same vigor and high-handedness they employ on college students hollering the "f-word" because they feel all cool and rebellious doing so. And I don't particularly want to think about the lyrics used by some of the groups we feature in pregame and in-game music.

Administrative techniques are likely never going to overcome this sort of thing. It'll reach the point where sophomoric creative talent will insert a lyric that offends tender (and maybe not so tender) ears in everything from Basketcase to Yea Alabama itself, probably to the point that the Million Dollar Band will be reduced to playing Moonlight Sonata at the end of the third quarter.

It'd be different if the band Alabama had asked that it be stopped, but I doubt that happened. Those guys need the money; if they didn't they wouldn't be touring again.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It wasn't just the Greek section that sung Dixieland last night. It was sung acapella on a couple of occasions; however, when the PA tried to play over the student body is when the booing started. After that happened the only part of the song that was chanted was the part the politically correct crowd doesn't want to hear. For the record that it was chanted about 6 or 7 times.

IMHO, the Univeristy is being hypocritical when it comes to Dixieland. They had no problem whatsoever playing it during the Ole Miss game when they wanted the stadium to be really loud (it should be noted that its not just the student body that sings and does the chants); but on other occassions it doesn't get played. If it had been played last night the other chanting would not have occurred.

So my question is... Do you want to play it once and let people get it out of their systems? Or do you want parts of it chanted multple times when the PA system can't drown out the crowd?
Where at and when did you here it because I was in the lower bowl top row up at the 25 yard lineuntil arky scored then I went to the tunnel to talk to an event person that I knew, and I didn't hear anything concerning Dixie land or booing at a pa announcer. So it must of been a small pocket that did it if it was done.

ChesapeakeTide

All-SEC
Nov 24, 2006
Laurel, MD
I wish the administrators at my alma mater would spend time addressing its many real issues with the same vigor and high-handedness they employ on college students hollering the "f-word" because they feel all cool and rebellious doing so. And I don't particularly want to think about the lyrics used by some of the groups we feature in pregame and in-game music.

Administrative techniques are likely never going to overcome this sort of thing. It'll reach the point where sophomoric creative talent will insert a lyric that offends tender (and maybe not so tender) ears in everything from Basketcase to Yea Alabama itself, probably to the point that the Million Dollar Band will be reduced to playing Moonlight Sonata at the end of the third quarter.

It'd be different if the band Alabama had asked that it be stopped, but I doubt that happened. Those guys need the money; if they didn't they wouldn't be touring again.
Exactly! Which is why I question the reasoning of not playing Dixieland (which has added lyrics), but playing other songs that use just as colorful and what some would consider offensive language in the lyrics.

Don't get me wrong I understand that the players like the other songs and it gets them pumped up, which in turn get the crowd pumped up. It should be noted that the players also get pumped up for Dixieland, mainly because their classmates and the majority of the fans get pumped up when its played.

The interesting thing is that since the decision has been made to use the PA during timeouts instead of the Million Dollar Band those songs get played much more often.

Last edited:

ChesapeakeTide

All-SEC
Nov 24, 2006
Laurel, MD
Where at and when did you here it because I was in the lower bowl top row up at the 25 yard lineuntil arky scored then I went to the tunnel to talk to an event person that I knew, and I didn't hear anything concerning Dixie land or booing at a pa announcer. So it must of been a small pocket that did it if it was done.
I heard it after the PA played over them singing it. I sit in the lower bowl a few rows behind the Bama bench and it could be clearly heard. It started on one side of the student section and then the other side picked it up. They never got in sync or it would have been heard all over the stadium.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I heard it after the PA played over them singing it. I sit in the lower bowl a few rows behind the Bama bench and it could be clearly heard. It started on one side of the student section and then the other side picked it up. They never got in sync or it would have been heard all over the stadium.
Still never heard it with me being in the student section the whole night. So like I said probably a small pocket.

ChesapeakeTide

All-SEC
Nov 24, 2006
Laurel, MD
Still never heard it with me being in the student section the whole night. So like I said probably a small pocket.
Only if you want to call those sections in the end zone a small pocket. The booing was done by the majority of the student body. But we're nit picking about the size of the group(s) singing.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I'll respectfully disagree with the bolded part (and with any use of the F-word for that matter).
I don't drink and I wish no one did, but getting drunk is very irresponsible and actually causes/contributes to many of the problems you later list in your post.
I do not disagree with you. Hence, one of the reasons why we did not send our daughter to Bama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Only if you want to call those sections in the end zone a small pocket. The booing was done by the majority of the student body. But we're nit picking about the size of the group(s) singing.
The student section is way bigger than the end zone. It extends to about the 35 yard line and has seats in the upper bowl. I was at the 25 yard line in the lower bowl and never heard it. So unless you think the student section is just the end zone where most of the Greeks are then I highly doubt you have the majority of students doing it.

ChesapeakeTide

All-SEC
Nov 24, 2006
Laurel, MD
The student section is way bigger than the end zone. It extends to about the 35 yard line and has seats in the upper bowl. I was at the 25 yard line in the lower bowl and never heard it. So unless you think the student section is just the end zone where most of the Greeks are then I highly doubt you have the majority of students doing it.
I understand that the student body is bigger than the end zone. I also understand that due to the acoustics of BDS sometimes you can't hear what's being said/sung in the sections you're in or that are close to you, but those sounds project very well to other sections that are farther away.

I think we're getting close to sparring back and forth, which I don't want to do. So let's just agree to disagree about how many were booing & singing.

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I love the old "well there are worse things they could be doing" argument. I also love the old "kids are going to be kids" thing. Why don't we just teach our kids what is right and what is wrong? Why do feel the need to make excuses for their bad behavior? My question to those defenders on here: What happens when your daughter decides to take it one step further and let a guy "pin" her on the wall and 9 months later little Jr pops out (or worse yet an abortion is performed)? Or your son "pins" a girl to the wall and out pops Jr? My section of the stadium was plenty loud without all that mess. This is why society is in the shape it's and getting worse by the day. And as someone else stated on here earlier, most of the time it starts at home.

Last edited:

The Playmaker

2nd Team
Jan 9, 2011
T-town
I love the old "well there are worse things they could be doing" argument. I also love the old "kids are going to be kids" thing. Why don't we just teach our kids what is right and what is wrong? Why do feel the need to make excuses for their bad behavior? My question to those defenders on here: What happens when your daughter decides to take it one step further and let a guy "pin" her on the wall and 9 months later little Jr pops out (or worse yet an abortion is performed)? Or your son "pins" a girl to the wall and out pops Jr? My section of the stadium was plenty loud without all that mess. This is why society is in the shape it's and getting worse by the day. And as someone else stated on here earlier, most of the time it starts at home.
What does rape have to do with Dixieland Delight again? Jeez.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1. What the heck
2. I think people are taking this dilemma way too far on both extremes.
3. Why are people so butt hurt now about this when it has been going on for 5 years. Seriously it wasn't until alabama and auburn fans started downing lsu's student section for their rendition of "neck" that people started attacking bama about it. It has been a known thing for quiet sometime, if you don't believe me ....

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210730&highlight=Dixieland+delight

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've read Dixieland Delight is the leading cause of teenage pregnancy.
Blue font right? LOL

Another thing, not about your post Boston, I never understood why we play a song that talks about how great Tennessee is. That's 50% of why I have never liked them playing, and the other 50% is the obvious. I really dont know why we debate it because we come up with the same conclusion in the end " It has been a known practice that we are only acting on it because we whined and complained about LSU doing their Neck song and the 2014 Saban taunt, it is out of our control whether they play it or not, and BDS's occupants do worse things at games.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I'm a relatively conservative 50 something year old dude, and my thoughts are...Play the darn song. The students love it, it seems to inspire the team and I've been a Alabama fan since they were playing for tips at the Bowery in Myrtle Beach back in the late 70's.

DaleC76

3rd Team
Dec 5, 2006
It was in the closing minutes of the game, after the failed onside kick, I believe, and I thought the chants were quite loud.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Yeah, and I would say based on what I could hear there was one part that was pretty well "in sync." :)

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I was sitting near the endzone around u3d and they were VERY clearly singing it A-cappella at one point last night near the end. Even send a tweet to jess n. When it happened. They also chanted "Dixie land delight" several times. These events happened. And as soon as they did, almost as if on command, some music came on and drowned them out to the tune of boos.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

DaleC76

3rd Team
Dec 5, 2006
If you have the game on DVR, you can hear the students pretty clearly after Bama runs the first play after the onside kick.

You can also hear the "Dixieland" chant as the team lines up for the 2nd down play.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.