News Article: 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
How'd that platform go over?
The whole situation is a farce
On 20 April 2015; Norway, the United Kingdom and the United States issued a joint statement saying that the Sudanese Government failed "to create a free, fair, and conducive elections environment" and that the "outcome of
these elections cannot be considered a credible expression of the will of the Sudanese people"

On 28 April 2015, the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hong Lei said that they respect "the choice made by the Sudanese people" and congratulated President Bashir on his re-election

President Bashir also received congratulatory messages from President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi of Egypt,[21] King Abdullah of Jordan,[22] Emir Sabah of Kuwait,[23] Sultan Qaboos of Oman,[24] Emir Tamim of Qatar,[25] King Salman of Saudi Arabia[26] and President Khalifa al Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates
He came in 4th with .76% of the vote. The incumbent, who has been in power since 1993, received 94.05% of the vote, with major opposition parties in a boycott of the election.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The whole situation is a farce

He came in 4th with .76% of the vote. The incumbent, who has been in power since 1993, received 94.05% of the vote, with major opposition parties in a boycott of the election.
I have to say, western democracy is an acquired taste. Not every culture values the idea of "one man, one vote" they way the West does.
To the extent that a culture does embrace that ideal, I predict a better outcome for that society, but it is by no means the only way to erect or maintain a political structure.
It is no skin off my nose if 0.76% of the electorate voted for the guy. If 90% accept the guy as the legitimate ruler of Sudanese society, it's good enough for me.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
That does look like something that could be used to detonate explosives. I hope there are no ice cubes present in the school. One of those could be used to remotely fire a mortar.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Steve Wozniak spent the night in jail for building a fake bomb in high school
In twelfth grade [Wozniak] built an electronic metronome—one of those tick-tick-tick devices that keep time in music class—and realized it sounded like a bomb. So he took the labels off some big batteries, taped them together, and put it in a school locker; he rigged it to start ticking faster when the locker opened. Later that day he got called to the principal’s office. He thought it was because he had won, yet again, the school’s top math prize. Instead he was confronted by the police. The principal had been summoned when the device was found, bravely ran onto the football field clutching it to his chest, and pulled the wires off. Woz tried and failed to suppress his laughter. He actually got sent to the juvenile detention center, where he spent the night. It was a memorable experience. He taught the other prisoners how to disconnect the wires leading to the ceiling fans and connect them to the bars so people got shocked when touching them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I wonder if the kid's parents didn't have pause when their son wanted to bring the "device" to school.

I may be completely out of line here but that things does not look like a clock....but it does look like something that could be construed as dangerous.

Also......the fact that women and children are commonly used to carry bombs in the mid east has to factor into this.

Clearly........the situation could have been handled better by the "authorities' but isn't hindsight always 20-20?

Have the kid take the device outside and away from the school and then call the bomb squad in to determine if it's an issue.

Shrug....

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I wonder if the kid's parents didn't have pause when their son wanted to bring the "device" to school.

I may be completely out of line here but that things does not look like a clock....but it does look like something that could be construed as dangerous.

Also......the fact that women and children are commonly used to carry bombs in the mid east has to factor into this.

Clearly........the situation could have been handled better by the "authorities' but isn't hindsight always 20-20?

Have the kid take the device outside and away from the school and then call the bomb squad in to determine if it's an issue.

Shrug....
For the unitiated for which the tech that runs our everyday lives is indistinguishable from magic, I could imagine confusing this:

for something threatening. For those of us familiar for digital electronics, it's simply a clock.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
For the unitiated for which the tech that runs our everyday lives is indistinguishable from magic, I could imagine confusing this:

for something threatening. For those of us familiar for digital electronics, it's simply a clock.

Our enemies have become so sneaky....hard to blame anyone for being suspicious. Like I said though.....could have been handled a bit better...IMHO.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003

Sigh.....you think you're out of line for stating the obvious?

It looks like a bomb. Not a clock. You're not offending anyone by saying that!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.