News Article: 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Have we become so divided in this country we are criticisizing a kid's science project?

No.

(I think) we are discussing a child who brought something to school that may have been interpreted to be some type of bomb - and thus violated a policy against bomb hoaxes......and whether or not the situation was handled properly.

Add to the discussion the child is of middle eastern heritage and his father is to some extent involved in middle eastern activism.

Factor in as well.....what the child did wasn't so technically special.

Other than that....yeah something about a science project.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
No.

(I think) we are discussing a child who brought something to school that may have been interpreted to be some type of bomb - and thus violated a policy against bomb hoaxes......and whether or not the situation was handled properly.

Add to the discussion the child is of middle eastern heritage and his father is to some extent involved in middle eastern activism.

Factor in as well.....what the child did wasn't so technically special.

Other than that....yeah something about a science project.
It was interpreted by multiple idiots in authority positions within the school and police department as being a bomb without any proof whatsoever. Clearly, they lacked any sort of common sense or ability to make this a learning experience for a child who seems to bright. Their own prejudices led them to detain the child in a detention center with nothing more than "it has to be something more". Remember, the cops admitted they had no evidence to support their position and refute the kids explanation.

There are people in this very thread mentioning he didn't build the clock from scratch so not that special. How old is he? 10? Regardless, if the clock was rebuilt its better than most kids are doing sitting around playing Xbox. He took it to school to show it to his engineering teacher and perhaps discuss the project, what he did and what he learned? The teacher failed him.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The student was 14 and was given the opportunity to explain his "device' on multiple occasions and basically "clammed up".

I can't link it because of a few F bombs but go to You Tube and find the (Real Time with) Bill Maher Ahmed's Clock Block video - he gets it right, IMO.

They erred on the side of caution and I don't blame them given all the circumstances.

And the offense he committed was a bomb hoax.....not a bomb.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I just can't believe they let all those kids drive hoax car bomb to school every day. And wear hoax backpack bombs. And hoax shoe bombs. and hoax suicide bombs (when they wear jackets). And hoax underwear bombs. Kids should walk to school naked, get daily cavity searches and full body x-ray scans. It's the only way to be sure.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
The student was 14 and was given the opportunity to explain his "device' on multiple occasions and basically "clammed up".

I can't link it because of a few F bombs but go to You Tube and find the (Real Time with) Bill Maher Ahmed's Clock Block video - he gets it right, IMO.

They erred on the side of caution and I don't blame them given all the circumstances.

And the offense he committed was a bomb hoax.....not a bomb.
Please read the original article posted. Or my first post with a snippet of the article.

He always maintained it was a clock he built for an engineering project. The cops didn't believe him and even admitted they really didn't have anything to go on. They were the ones who created the "hoax" by their actions, not the student.

How do you not understand this?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ts_its_about_pretend_islamophobia_128131.html

So a story that perfectly illustrated the tendencies of overbearing school administrators is now transformed into a teachable moment about "Islamophobia." And blowing up a nonevent is a way to create the perception that discrimination against Muslims is a pervasive problem in American life. In the real world, though, the preponderance of victims of jumpy teachers are not Muslims. But those cases do not provide Vox or the White House with the fodder it needs for some self-satisfying lecturing.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Please read the original article posted. Or my first post with a snippet of the article.

He always maintained it was a clock he built for an engineering project. The cops didn't believe him and even admitted they really didn't have anything to go on. They were the ones who created the "hoax" by their actions, not the student.

How do you not understand this?

Here's the police chief's presser which pretty much sums up the entire incident:

The United States provides it's citizens with more freedom than any other nation in the world. Sometimes I really have to shake my head when I see comments to the effect that we are under some kind of fascist dictatorship.

This young man, whether intentional or not, created some concern for the safety of those at that school. I would rather see our public officials error on the side of safety than not.

What if......this same set of circumstances happen but no one speaks up and nothing is done and there is an explosion and people are killed and injured? School officials and law enforcement would never hear the end of it.

I read all your linked articles - did you find and watch the Bill Maher segment?

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
No, I've not watched the video. Maybe I will tomorrow.

However, my argument is not that a teacher show concerned about the clock, my issue was the extent at which the concern went where this boy was handcuffed and taken to a juvenile detention facility. Common sense didn't prevail here and I don't know how you can argue otherwise. The cops and school officials had nothing of substance to call this a a hoax by the boy other than they thought the project looked funny. At that point the clock should have been confiscated and the parents called in. However, they physically restrained the boy and the school suspended him. That is my issue.

Or look at it another, you're an animal lover right? Your second paragraph is the exact same reasoning cops use when they shoot a family's pet in their home or backyard. Fido is in the backyard barking gavethe officer some concern, down he goes. Sorry, officer safety and all. Is that ok with you?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Here's the police chief's presser which pretty much sums up the entire incident:

The United States provides it's citizens with more freedom than any other nation in the world. Sometimes I really have to shake my head when I see comments to the effect that we are under some kind of fascist dictatorship.

This young man, whether intentional or not, created some concern for the safety of those at that school. I would rather see our public officials error on the side of safety than not.

What if......this same set of circumstances happen but no one speaks up and nothing is done and there is an explosion and people are killed and injured? School officials and law enforcement would never hear the end of it.

I read all your linked articles - did you find and watch the Bill Maher segment?
They didn't evacuate anyone from the area. Seems they were derelict in duty if they truly believed there could be a bomb.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
"If you see something, say something"...the ad campaign this very administration rolled out to keep people vigilant. Guess it only pertains to those crazy white folk.

Has anyone even bothered to look up this boys father? Not hard to figure out his M.O.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"If you see something, make sure you act like you're taking it seriously, even if it means overreacting. Stick to your guns upon being shown to be overreacting."

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
"If you see something, say something"...the ad campaign this very administration rolled out to keep people vigilant. Guess it only pertains to those crazy white folk.

Has anyone even bothered to look up this boys father? Not hard to figure out his M.O.
Last year the gentleman ran for president of Sudan from his suburban Dallas home. Maybe he just wanted to meet George Clooney.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They didn't evacuate anyone from the area. Seems they were derelict in duty if they truly believed there could be a bomb.
This was my first thought. If they really thought it might be a bomb, the obvious move is to evacuate the school and call the bomb squad. Their behavior belies that they really thought it was a bomb...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This was my first thought. If they really thought it might be a bomb, the obvious move is to evacuate the school and call the bomb squad. Their behavior belies that they really thought it was a bomb...
To be fair, they were claiming it was a bomb hoax.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.