News Article: 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

IRVING — Ahmed Mohamed — who makes his own radios and repairs his own go-kart — hoped to impress his teachers when he brought a homemade clock to MacArthur High on Monday.

Instead, the school phoned police about Ahmed’s circuit-stuffed pencil case.

So the 14-year-old missed the student council meeting and took a trip in handcuffs to juvenile detention. His clock now sits in an evidence room. Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A system that will discipline a student for biting his peanut butter sandwich into the shape of a gun will certainly arrest a kid named Ahmed for bring a scary piece of electronics to school.

I'm not expert, but I would assert that one of the key components of a bomb would be, I don't know, explosives. Did the kid have any explosives?
If a kid brings something the adults cannot figure out, how about the principal holds it for the rest of the day and asks the parents to not let him bring it back to school.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I love this explanation by the cops. Maybe he built it because he's interested in how things work and learning through building you public service dolts:

“We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb,” McLellan said. “He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.”Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:
“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I love this explanation by the cops. Maybe he built it because he's interested in how things work and learning through building you public service dolts:
I just think the level of horror over school shooting like Sandy Hook is taken by those in authority to over-react to unbelievable degree to anything that could conceivably be interpreted as a threat to the school. No over-reaction is considered too great if you can state after the fact that you were doing it to protect school kids.

I think that if you don't know what it is, the principal holds it for the rest of the day and ask the parents to take it home.
It is kind of cool that a kid that young had the tech savvy to build it, and he wanted to show his friends and teachers. Seems pretty straightforward.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
A system that will discipline a student for biting his peanut butter sandwich into the shape of a gun will certainly arrest a kid named Ahmed for bring a scary piece of electronics to school.

I'm not expert, but I would assert that one of the key components of a bomb would be, I don't know, explosives. Did the kid have any explosives?
The school serves hot dogs shaped like dynamite for lunch.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I'm curious what the clock looked like. If it looked like it might be a bomb, would the principal really want to keep it in their office? I'd need a new set of Depends every time the alarm beeped.
While I can understand the need for caution, there isn't any indication that he intended for anyone to think it was a bomb, so the bomb hoax charge seems bogus. Also disturbing that they interrogated him without his parent or an attorney present. Didn't think you could do that with minors.
I just hope he doesn't come up with a heated vest for winter.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OMG, that's an article about Hillary reacting to it. She could give him some tips on how to avoid Bosnian sniper fire - the most useful being, "There WAS no Bosnian sniper fire."

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Gonna be awkward explaining why the Secret Service has to inspect his clock before he brings it into the Oval Office.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again, the President does something (small and not terribly meaningful in the greater scheme of things, but something) I approve of.

I would love to see how the Secret Service inspects the clock before it comes into the presence of the President. Oh, to be a fly on the wall...
Hell, I wonder if they'll have to have ID to show to make the appointment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.