Shocking stat from last season: Bama was last in FBS defending 3rd & Long...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Re: One of the most shocking stats I've seen: Alabama is last in FBS defending 3rd an

Shocked? Were you in a coma last year?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: One of the most shocking stats I've seen: Alabama is last in FBS defending 3rd an

Edwards could have just come out and admitted he hasn't watched the 'Bama games of the past two years. Nice of him to indirectly prove it with ESPN statistics.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

It is maddening to know that no matter how far you drive a team back on first and second down, they are likely going to convert on third.
I screamed at my TV so much last year.:mad:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Not surprising at all. I always cringe at 3rd and long. Seems like we never get off the field.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: One of the most shocking stats I've seen: Alabama is last in FBS defending 3r...

Hahaha, this is in no way surprising. I used to love third and long, but now it seems they have us right where they want us. It's maddening.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: One of the most shocking stats I've seen: Alabama is last in FBS defending 3r...

I like how he's combined it into this season to try and make it relevant. I don't know how many third and longs that the last two opponents made, but since they made a grand total of 12 third down conversions, it couldn't have been very many. It's an area the team can probably still stand to improve on but this season ain't last season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I like how he's combined it into this season to try and make it relevant. I don't know how many third and longs that the last two opponents made, but since they made a grand total of 12 third down conversions, it couldn't have been very many. It's an area the team can probably still stand to improve on but this season ain't last season.
I read it to mean the first 13 games of the season (2014) and the Sugar Bowl (2015).

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I read it to mean the first 13 games of the season (2014) and the Sugar Bowl (2015).
Hmm yeah could be right, but that would make it more irrelevant. For what it's worth though, I looked and Alabama opponents have made 4 more third down conversions than Alabama. It is something I'd like to see Alabama get back to dominating in, that's for sure.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Hopefully, this will motivate the players (DB's and LB's) to do something about this stat.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

The shocking part was watching it happen. Too much talent to have allowed that to happen...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Not surprising at all. I always cringe at 3rd and long. Seems like we never get off the field.
Yup..I hate 3rd & longs against our D, I love Coach Saban cause we will continue winning NC's along the way under his leadership, but, 3rd & Long has been our sore spot since he's been our HC..I can live with winning NC's despite our 3rd & long head-aches..I cringe as well on 3rd & longs by the way..

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

In my mind, it's not just 3rd and long that is a problem; it's 3rd down period. Wisconsin was 6-14 (43%). Against an offense that is supposedly not as potent as the one we are about to face, that is a troubling number. MTSU converted 32% of third downs (6-19).

That's 36% conversion for the season. It puts us at 67th in the country in 3rd down conversion %. The most troubling piece is that these are not the best offenses we'll face this season.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I guess you forgot the Ohio State game, the grand culmination of our 3rd down struggles.
Yep. At one point, the Buckeyes converted 8 or 9 straight 3rd downs. Sickening.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
One of the most shocking stats I've seen: Alabama is last in FBS defending 3r...

I think the biggest thing that leads to the opponents success on 3rd down is lack of pass rush by the front four. We are currently 72nd (I think) in sacks right now. If we can't get pressure with front 4 we either blitz which leaves the DBs on an island or just sit back and try to cover but the problem is that after 5 or 6 seconds someone is bound to come uncovered. Anyone else have opinions on why Bama has struggled so much on 3rd downs?

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA

Not surprised one bit. Back when Notre Dame converted their 3rd and 30 to beat us
I have followed that stat confirming we have to be the worse 3rd down and long
team in football. We are stout against the run but just have a hard time getting off the field.
That has beaten us with a lot of recent teams. It is one big fear I have with Ole Miss.
Hopefully CNS et al will find the answer.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

I think the biggest thing that leads to the opponents success on 3rd down is lack of pass rush by the front four. We are currently 72nd (I think) in sacks right now. If we can't get pressure with front 4 we either blitz which leaves the DBs on an island or just sit back and try to cover but the problem is that after 5 or 6 seconds someone is bound to come uncovered. Anyone else have opinions on why Bama has struggled so much on 3rd downs?
I think it is because we use the wrong personnel. If you look at the Arkansas game last year I think it is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. We stuffed them on 1st and 2nd down all night but then gave up a ton of third and longs. It only stopped when we decided to put in Tim Williams and Pettway, when they were in we only rushed 4 and got tremendous pressure. Prior to that we kept our normal DL in and brought pressures, the pressures weren't well timed and we got picked apart. If you get a team in 3rd and long they usually take a long time to snap the ball, even HUNH teams, we should have more than enough time to get our designated pass rushers on the field. I was expecting to see more of them this year and haven't seen it up to this point.

To me it seems like teams have figured out what we do on third and long as far as our pressure packages. I've also noticed that for the past two years we haven't timed blitzes well at all. Just in general our blitzes don't seem to be well executed, I've seen multiple times where two rushers take the same lane and then it leads to a massive QB scramble gain.

Minkah coming off the edge on corner blitzes gave me a little reminder of how deadly Javier was on those on the 09 team. I would love to see that element brought back to our team. Those corner pressures can really screw up a lot of the backfield action/timing that these HUNH teams love.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
One of the most shocking stats I've seen: Alabama is last in FBS defending 3r...

I think it is because we use the wrong personnel. If you look at the Arkansas game last year I think it is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. We stuffed them on 1st and 2nd down all night but then gave up a ton of third and longs. It only stopped when we decided to put in Tim Williams and Pettway, when they were in we only rushed 4 and got tremendous pressure. Prior to that we kept our normal DL in and brought pressures, the pressures weren't well timed and we got picked apart. If you get a team in 3rd and long they usually take a long time to snap the ball, even HUNH teams, we should have more than enough time to get our designated pass rushers on the field. I was expecting to see more of them this year and haven't seen it up to this point.

To me it seems like teams have figured out what we do on third and long as far as our pressure packages. I've also noticed that for the past two years we haven't timed blitzes well at all. Just in general our blitzes don't seem to be well executed, I've seen multiple times where two rushers take the same lane and then it leads to a massive QB scramble gain.

Minkah coming off the edge on corner blitzes gave me a little reminder of how deadly Javier was on those on the 09 team. I would love to see that element brought back to our team. Those corner pressures can really screw up a lot of the backfield action/timing that these HUNH teams love.
I completely agree with the timing of the blitzes being off. Almost like we are outsmarting ourselves trying to disguise where the blitz is coming from. The problem with that is the blitzing player takes entirely way to long to get pressure on the QB. I would rather the blitzing player just line up on the LOS. Our athletes vs their athletes straight up. We would have the advantage over most teams in that regard..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.