Bama vs. Ole Miss PostGame thread...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The better team doesn't always win. Bizarre game.

Roll Tide!
We certainly put Ole Miss in position to get points three times early on. Didn't help ourselves any there.
Just like the previous games. Special Teams continues to be a major weakness. We committed lots of turnovers. (5)
Take away the turnovers and we should have won the game. Bateman got the start. Looked pretty good stat wise, but passes were short of first down yardage, when we needed first downs. Cooper never became a running threat... Cooper threw an Int. right at the end of the quarter. Shortly Coker was in at QB. I thought Coker played pretty well. Coker ran the ball pretty well three times, much to everyone's surprise... Later Coker threw a Int. trying to force the ball, late in the game.
Would we have won if Coker had played all 4 quarters??? We would still have to overcome the points we helped OM get early on... Ole Miss pretty much neutralized our running game, and that required more passing which didn't favor Bateman.
LASTLY... You can't beat luck. OM had the deflected pass hit one of our players head then bounce to their guy for a TD.
OM got away with one on the TD pass that was on/behind the line of scrimmage. Refs. failed to see the OM lineman down field.
Still it was a home game we should have won, and didn't. OM put themselves, with our help, in position to win the game, and they did.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I was a few beers in so I don't really remember much besides the int. Having said that, what is the long ball issue we are seeing? Has either QB thrown a catchable long ball this year?
Nope. Long balls haven't even been in the vicinity of the WRs for either QB. I think Bateman threw one within 5 yds tonight. But they really haven't been close. Its baffling.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
There's the rub though. Coker's weaknesses were only amplified in a game where we dug a huge hole and had to rely on the passing game. If we can get to a point of balance on offense and reduce the unforced errors then his flaws will be much easier to manage.
I agree about the situation but it's how he plays in general. He can make strong accurate throws but then he will follow that up with a huge miss.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Also, one reporter asked why so many pass plays. Coach Saban said they were in the 2-minute offense from midway 3rd quarter and on (or something close to that).

He mentioned they started Bateman because they wanted to use his speed against Ole Miss.[/
QUOTE]

Really? Did he even run it?
He specifically said they planned for some run read plays so Bateman would run it. Bateman never pulled it though. Coker pulled it for a TD for what its worth.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nope. Long balls haven't even been in the vicinity of the WRs for either QB. I think Bateman threw one within 5 yds tonight. But they really haven't been close. Its baffling.
Twice I can think of, that was not on the QB at all, part of the problem of watching on TV. They ran the wrong route or broke it off early. Watch who the coaches chew on the sidelines when they come off and it'll give you a clue...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He specifically said they planned for some run read plays so Bateman would run it. Bateman never pulled it though. Coker pulled it for a TD for what its worth.
Bingo. I mentioned that in the game thread. Early on we gave up a TD when Bateman handed off after we had run that play over and over handing it off to set up the QB keeper...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Twice I can think of, that was not on the QB at all, part of the problem of watching on TV. They ran the wrong route or broke it off early. Watch who the coaches chew on the sidelines when they come off and it'll give you a clue...

Yeah seems to be a combo of poor decisions and poor route running. Its just so consistently bad, its infuriating.

Can't wait to see JessN's post game piece.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
One thing on the "long ball" I've been thinking about. The knock on Blake Sims was "the long ball". Yet after the Arkansas game he became more polished. But then again he had a guy by the name of Amari Cooper that was leaving DB's jocks ten yards in the wind. When Amari had blown by a guy by five yards or more, throwing the deep ball successfully probably was a little easier.
While we have some talented WR's, Amari was special. I don't know if this WR group is on the same page with the QB's at this point. Granted, with some of the throws we've seen in the first games, I'm sure it is difficult for some of those guys to have a lot of confidence that the throws will be catchable.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
We lost to these guys last year and still won the SEC and had a shot at the national title. That said, this isn't last year's team. Ole Miss is going to drop a few games. The season is far from over!

We may even have to pull for auburn to beat them. Hard pill to swallow , but welcome to playoff football.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
I believe you are missing his point. The point was that even a more talented player would sit if they didn't protect the ball. There's no need to attack the guy.
That is true but HS and SEC are very different. Jake made the right reads in HS hence playing for FSU and now Bama. The poster definitely should not be attacked for the observation though.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I believe you are missing his point. The point was that even a more talented player would sit if they didn't protect the ball. There's no need to attack the guy.
A high school defense is light years away from Ole Miss, or any other SEC defense. Our 2nd string QB has thrown 2 INT's this year with about a 3rd of the snaps Coker has played. Who do we put in there?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
That is true but HS and SEC are very different. Jake made the right reads in HS hence playing for FSU and now Bama. The poster definitely should not be attacked for the observation though.
Attacked? He said Jake Coker wouldn't start for his HS. I asked for a name of the school of the QB. It's a simple question.

The better question is who would you propose we start?
Bateman, Cornwell, Barnett, Morris?

We know Bateman has thrown more INT's per attempt that Jake.

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
All I've got left to say tonight is Win with class and Lose with dignity. We've got the first down pat.

Let's make sure we remember the second.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.