Bama vs. Ole Miss PostGame thread...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not going to get in a back and forth over it, but it seemed you were attacking and/or misunderstanding his point. We must not have anyone right now who has shown being capable of making throws and protecting the ball. I understand your point as well.

That is true but HS and SEC are very different. Jake made the right reads in HS hence playing for FSU and now Bama. The poster definitely should not be attacked for the observation though.
The point was that my hs qb is not as physically talented as Coker. However, he has thrown fewer int's per game in two years than Coker has thrown in three games....and we are a hunh offense. I coach in brentwood tn

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
Attacked? He said Jake Coker wouldn't start over his HS QB. I asked for a name of the school of the QB. It's a simple question.
Okay maybe attack is a strong word. Maybe I should have left that part out. My point is the same as yours. HS and NCAAF defenses/talent are not the same. Just like NCAAF and NFL defenses are not the same....see Tim Tebow. Just because a guy performs a certain way at one level does not mean he will have the same success or failures at the other level. Its all good brother! Everyone has great points!

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah seems to be a combo of poor decisions and poor route running. Its just so consistently bad, its infuriating.

Can't wait to see JessN's post game piece.
Yes, his insight is always enlightening. He's an old friend of 20+ years now, and I'd wager he's working on his piece now and I'm about to hit the sack. I'll tell this and I'll probably get a hard time from him because of it, but he and I once started from here (he was editing a local newspaper over in Scottsboro at the time) and went down for a game, Franchione's last AU game, IIRC, when Fran gave Tubs a neck hickie before the game. At his insistence we stopped after the game at a TGIF here for one particular dessert. After we ate, he ordered it and they were sold out. To say the least, he was not a happy camper. I made a mental note never to come between him and dessert... :)

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
Attacked? He said Jake Coker wouldn't start for his HS. I asked for a name of the school of the QB. It's a simple question.

The better question is who would you propose we start?
Bateman, Cornwell, Barnett, Morris?

We know Bateman has thrown more INT's per attempt that Jake.
Good question man. I think you have to go all in with Coker. Neither guy has really separated himself; however, Coker is the senior and did make some great plays tonight. I just hope he can adjust some of his habits and better protect the ball. Blake Sims is more appreciated than ever by me. If you go further down the chart I think that is a sign that you are throwing in the towel. We are definitely not there yet IMO.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The point was that my hs qb is not as physically talented as Coker. However, he has thrown fewer int's per game in two years than Coker has thrown in three games....and we are a hunh offense. I coach in brentwood tn
Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that stats on HS QBs and NCAA QBs are not comparable at all. You are new, but you are the latest in a long line of HS coaches who think they know exactly what we are doing wrong and what we should be doing...

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Tonight was obviously frustrating. I really feel like we gave this game away, and that Bama was the better team. You just can't win while turning the ball over 5 times. But, I don't think for one second that Ole Miss was the better team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Good question man. I think you have to go all in with Coker. Neither guy has really separated himself; however, Coker is the senior and did make some great plays tonight. I just hope he can adjust some of his habits and better protect the ball. Blake Sims is more appreciated than ever by me. If you go further down the chart I think that is a sign that you are throwing in the towel. We are definitely not there yet IMO.
I thought Coker separated himself tonight. If he doesn't walk into the game 2 TD's behind and having to play catch up over and over, maybe he can play within the system and not feel like he has to win the game. He couldn't afford to be a game manager tonight.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He specifically said they planned for some run read plays so Bateman would run it. Bateman never pulled it though. Coker pulled it for a TD for what its worth.
Yes, I commented to my wife that I didn't understand why Bateman wasn't running it, it was so wide open. Then Coker pulled it for a TD and I commented that it was what I'd been waiting for the whole time Cooper was in...

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Coker is definitely better than Bateman. But, there were some throws by Coker tonight where I wasn't sure whom he was throwing the ball to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaGunner

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 6, 2011
Hoover, Al
Anybody that has taken the time to watch Cokers highlight reels on YouTube would know that he is a capable runner. Faster than he appears and runs with authority. He is the ONLY reason we came back in this game and were in it at the end. I guess some people called what happened as Coker released the ball as pressure but I would call it a linebacker appendectomy. They cut him in half as the ball was being thrown. Also, our coaches need to get out of the QBs heads and name a starter. Our game plan was BAD and we abandoned the run way too early. This was a team effort to lose and win at the same time. I was proud of Coker, his effort and determination. He made some very clutch throws and runs. Everybody needs to remember that he has split reps with 4 other guys all summer . He has probably no where near gotten the reps he needs to be proficient. RTR

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Anybody that has taken the time to watch Cokers highlight reels on YouTube would know that he is a capable runner. Faster than he appears and runs with authority. He is the ONLY reason we came back in this game and were in it at the end. I guess some people called what happened as Coker released the ball as pressure but I would call it a linebacker appendectomy. They cut him in half as the ball was being thrown. Also, our coaches need to get out of the QBs heads and name a starter. Our game plan was BAD and we abandoned the run way too early. This was a team effort to lose and win at the same time. I was proud of Coker, his effort and determination. He made some very clutch throws and runs. Everybody needs to remember that he has split reps with 4 other guys all summer . He has probably no where near gotten the reps he needs to be proficient. RTR
Agreed. Their D Line was getting pretty gassed in the third, and I think if we committed to the inside running game earlier instead all the stupid East West plays, I think they would have been on skates by then. That is something I'm not sure we'll ever see under Kiffin though.

BamaWoods

BamaNation Citizen
May 17, 2009
Walker county Al.
I think hard fought games like tonight build character win or lose. Now these guys know that they have what it takes to fight back through adversity. I'm not as bummed over this loss as some in the past. I still believe that we were the better team, but to use a worn out cliche sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and luck was definitely not on our side tonight.
I for one feel better about the overall QB situation than I did a week ago. There is still room for improvement but now we know that with the game on the line Coker does have the ability to put scoring drives together. With this experience under his belt I have to believe he will be more collected should he need to do it again. Bateman also looked fairly comfortable in his first start, and did some good things. The D played very well I think, holding that offense as well as it did. They were put in some bad situations and held their ground for the most part. I hate to lose this one as much as anyone but if you look past the L on the record there's a lot to be optimistic about moving forward. ROLL TIDE!!!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Agreed. Their D Line was getting pretty gassed in the third, and I think if we committed to the inside running game earlier instead all the stupid East West plays, I think they would have been on skates by then. That is something I'm not sure we'll ever see under Kiffin though.
I agree with both of you. Frankly, we had them on the ropes if we run the ball down 6 or even down 12. I know you have to mix it up a bit, but we didn't get in the right plays. Hindsight is 20/20, of course. It seems the coaches should know our strengths and weaknesses and play to our strengths with the game on the line and plenty of time left.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Not sure we have the backs to be the type of running team we have come to expect. Henry - for all his positives - runs with such a long stride that he is likely to be knocked off balance; can't really count on him for the high-percentage of 3 to 5 yard runs we got used to from Coffee through Lacey. Drake isn't that guy either. We have too many no gains or losses in the run lately. Puts us behind in down/distance.

Maybe Harris or Scarbrough can become that kind of back for us. Better o-line play that will come with more experience will help, too.

This season is not over for us , folks. We can still get to the final four.
I agree. We are lacking in the RB, QB and OL. Henry is OK, not great. Add the play calling and we are an average SEC Offense. It was bound to happen. I think we still win 9 or 10 this year.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I agree. We are lacking in the RB, QB and OL. Henry is OK, not great. Add the play calling and we are an average SEC Offense. It was bound to happen. I think we still win 9 or 10 this year.
I agree except I personally think Henry IS great but he needs an OL that can competently block for him. If he were running behind the 2011 or 2012 line he'd be in a shoutout with Fournette for the Heisman.

I think we are headed for 9-3 regular season now with Coker/Bateman. That's no Championship season so we might at well start Barnett now and get him ready for Next year. Heck he may even get us to 10-2 by winning the UGA game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Losing sucks, and losing games because of your own mistakes sucks even more, but I'd rather lose like that than get outclassed. You demonstrated last night that you are as good as any team in America, even if the outcome was less than ideal. Now you see how the coaches and players react to the loss.

Kiffin needs to bag the long pass play for the rest of the year. Neither QB can make those passes without placing the ball at risk. That long pass play called with three minutes remaining was a horrible decision and killed what would have been the game winning drive. Ole Miss was reeling, and they were handed a reprieve.

Coker made a few mistakes in the rest of his play, but he also showed some serious leadership and deserves to get all of the first team snaps in practice. It should now be his job to lose.

IMO, you exposed Ole Miss last night. You provided the blueprint for beating them, and someone in your conference will get the job done. Win out and you are probably headed back to the SECCG, but you have to play the rest of the season without a safety net. Here's hoping that you get it done.

Roll Tide!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.