Bama vs. Ole Miss PostGame thread...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I said it in another thread, or maybe this one. I don't remember. Anyway, regarding the team trying to be finesse when we should be smash mouth, Coach Saban said all off season that's what he wanted to get back to. And we saw it in the Wisconsin game. Physical play, down hill running, OL was using more man to man blocking schemes mixed in with the classic zone blocking, play action passing. It really did look like a return to Alabama football as we know it under Nick Saban. Then we got away from it against MTSU. Now I chalked that up to the usual annual experimentation that the staff always does against overmatched opponents the second week of the year. Now I think the game against Ole Miss was lost when we decided to start Bateman and ultimately continue with the finesse game plan.

We wanted to establish an identity and we did that against Wisconsin. Why has the staff deviated from that? That to me is the grand question that must be answered. Coker isn't an all-american, not because of a lack of ability, but because he's not always accurate and he doesn't always make the best decisions. Ok, then tailor the game plan to limit his decision making opportunities, and play to his strengths. It is obvious to anyone that Coker is the guy who has taking the leadership role at the QB position. He's earned the starting responsibility. A physical attack mixed with play action passing, exactly what we did vs. Wisconsin, will win in this league. You watch LSU go undefeated until they play us. And their not as talented as we are at QB.

I swear, Coker looked like Tyler Watts running around out there the other night. Same number, same build, and same running style. And he's a better passer. We saw what Watts was capable of in a system tailored to his strengths. JMO, but the finesse stuff needs to die a swift death this week in practice.

Oh, and our defense is fine and will be complimented so much better by this. Keep running up tempo on offense and making mistakes on offense and that won't be the case.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My final observations on this game and some thoughts on the season:

1. The graphic put up early in the game about Bateman being the #3 rated pocket passer in the class of 2013. Why does everyone then assume he can run the read option? Maybe Barnett can.
2. In spite of statistics, which are always thrown up in a loss; our defense continues to look confused and not in their proper alignment against spread and read option offenses.
3. The offense line regressed against a smaller but very physical and quick defensive line. Pass protection was marginal at best.
4. IMO the offense has no rhythm, kind of let's try this and see if we can trick the defense. The jet sweep on the OM 2 yard line has to be the worst call I have seen in the Saban era.
5. With the exception of Mullaney and Howard, the receiving corps has not helped the QB.
6. Any player, especially a QB who has to first think I cannot make a mistake rather than making a play is doomed. I blame this on the coaches, simply our QBs are playing scared.
7. Finally, I said in the summer that this team could lose2-3 games and Ole Miss was not one of them. So after Saturday night I still believe we could lose UGA and TAMU on the road. The defense cannot win those two games alone.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

1. The graphic put up early in the game about Bateman being the #3 rated pocket passer in the class of 2013. Why does everyone then assume he can run the read option? Maybe Barnett can.
2. In spite of statistics, which are always thrown up in a loss; our defense continues to look confused and not in their proper alignment against spread and read option offenses.
3. The offense line regressed against a smaller but very physical and quick defensive line. Pass protection was marginal at best.
4. IMO the offense has no rhythm, kind of let's try this and see if we can trick the defense. The jet sweep on the OM 2 yard line has to be the worst call I have seen in the Saban era.
5. With the exception of Mullaney and Howard, the receiving corps has not helped the QB.
6. Any player, especially a QB who has to first think I cannot make a mistake rather than making a play is doomed. I blame this on the coaches, simply our QBs are playing scared.
7. Finally, I said in the summer that this team could lose 2-3 games and Ole Miss was not one of them. So after Saturday night I still believe we could lose to UGA and TAMU on the road; also the LSU suddenly looks a lot tougher than earlier thought. The defense cannot win those two games alone, the offense has to improve and gained some consistency.
you must be in hog heaven right now

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

7. Finally, I said in the summer that this team could lose2-3 games and Ole Miss was not one of them. So after Saturday night I still believe we could lose UGA and TAMU on the road. The defense cannot win those two games alone.
1# people assume he can run the read option because of his speed. The truth of why he was probably out there is that CNS is paranoid of Coker making mistakes, but the problem is Bateman makes just as many bit has less talent.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Did anyone pick up a vibe that Chris Fowler was enjoying calling the game? It seemed like he was having a good time when Bama was trailing and his voice changed when the comeback was on and then the last two drives that ended and game over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Did anyone pick up a vibe that Chris Fowler was enjoying calling the game? It seemed like he was having a good time when Bama was trailing and his voice changed when the comeback was on and then the last two drives that ended and game over

my guess is that part of it is bama getting beat is the "man bites dog" story in college football and i think these guys enjoy calling those stories.

folks seem pretty tired of bama (and i love it).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tbh Coker should have thrown 2 more picks. He isn't the answer, he is part of the problem.
well he didn't. If he isn't the answer then who is?

Bateman? No

Barnett? Do you really want to burn a redshirt and possibly influence a highly valued qb recruit and gamble like Auburn did with Johnson on BB.

Cornwell? In the dog house moving on

Morris? There are rumors of why he isn't starting, and Im not going to go any deeper than that so for argument's sake Coker's Upside is probably outweighs his downside, and Morris's ceiling is probably not going to win us big games.

We pretty much need to live and die off Coker.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
For those that want to nitpick Coker's performance, he was forced to throw the ball most of the time he was in.

That lead to two things, one is the offensive line looked worse than they were because they defense was able to focus more on rushing the passer, and conversely the secondary knew a pass was coming and they were able to defend against the pass better. I've seen Drew Brees throw multiple picks multiple times in the same exact situation.

This doesn't account for every error Coker made but it does account for some of the mistakes. He's not perfect, but I think we have plenty of reason to believe against a lesser defense (which most SEC defenses will be most likely) and a better situation that he'll do a good job.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
For those that want to nitpick Coker's performance, he was forced to throw the ball most of the time he was in.

That lead to two things, one is the offensive line looked worse than they were because they defense was able to focus more on rushing the passer, and conversely the secondly knew a pass was coming and they were able to defend against the pass better. I've seen Drew Brees throw multiple picks multiple times in the same exact situation.

This doesn't account for every error Coker made but it does account for some of the mistakes. He's not perfect, but I think we have plenty of reason to believe against a lesser defense (which most SEC defenses will be most likely) and a better situation that he'll do a good job.
I was pleased with Jakes performance. He came in when everything was going sideways and got us back in it. We had to put the offense on his shoulders and he was able to answer and move the ball.

My problem was that we never seemed to realize as an offensive staff that we were back in the game. As others have said we had them reeling at one point and we should've put the hammer down. Even when we scored the Mullaney and Stewart tds I was wondering why we didn't rush it. I think we had an opportunity to make them quit and we passed.

This position is strengthened by the stat I just saw on twitter showing we averaged five yards a carry up the middle for the game. If we had stuck with it it would've been higher as we would've likely popped a big one. I'm not even against running hurry up and running it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I really hope that is a temporary one.

I take that back. I hope it is permanent. I would not make a bet where I had to wear another team's shirt, much less that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I know I'm only supposed to quote statistics from social media, but here's one I came up with by myself:
Alabama's opponents won their other 6 games by a combined 378-55

Alabama's SoS is #2. To those that want to think the sky is falling, it's hard to deny the fact that Alabama has played three very good teams. That's a major factor

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.