So, linemen downfield... something has to change!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It's beyond getting ridiculous but, for some reason the refs just refuse to make this call. 2 obvious blown no calls today, one in the Barn LSU game and another in ours, both resulted in TD.

It is impossible for defenses to defend against a pass when all there coaching says to play run when linemen move downfield. I think these plays are purposely drawn up with expectation that the refs will never throw the flag.

This was suppose to be a point of emphasis by refs this year and they still blew those 2 obvious calls today. Herby said during our game that it is a tough call for the official to make. My dad on the other hand, who officiated football for over 15 years, says that isn't true. He says it was never a hard call and always pretty obvious, especially when they are as far downfield as they were today.

IMO, this rule must be changed to no more then 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage or not beyond the LoS at all. I don't care which, it just has to change. It's a problem all over the country and needs to be addressed, no matter how much Gus and Freeze whine.

Until then, what can be done? Punish refs for blown calls/no calls? Always play pass no matter what? I'm just tired of teams, especially hunh ones, getting away with this cheat.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I suggested the replay booth. There's more than one person up there and it wouldn't be that hard for them to look in on those plays.

Rest assured it is on purpose and will only continue to get worse until they start hitting these teams with penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
When it happened and they threw a flag I was sure it was going to be called. Instead, it was an iffy illegal forward pass. A brain fart by the ref(s)?

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I agree. I had to explain why he was so wide open when they are allowed to go 5 yards past the line it destroys all the keys they look for. Until today though I didn't know the whole body had to be past the LOS when the ball was released.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It is a "risk/reward" situation for guys like Malzahn and Freeze. They know, with the speed of the college game, the three yard buffer (as opposed to the NFL rule of one yard) makes it more difficult to call. Three yard becomes five, or six, or more. It gives them an advantaged and they will continue to exploit it until the rule is changed or consistently called.

What is asinine is that it was missed by at least two SEC crews on the same day after being declared "a point of emphasis" this year. The head of SEC officiating should be absolutely embarrassed.

A friend said the crew working the USC/UGA game missed it as well in that game, although I did not see it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They call it in the NFL as well, it seems to only be a problem for college refs.
In the NFL, it is one yard. A much smaller area to concentrate on. Secondly, the NFL officials are paid professionals. It's their primary job. In college, it is a bunch of bankers, lawyers, accountants, and insurance salesmen doing it as "weekend sideline job". I've spoken with one (he's well into his forties) and he will tell you the speed of the game presents the biggest challenge.

My position is this: If your going to have a fifty year old, overweight, part time guy that runs a 6.5/40 calling a game with athletes running a 4.5/40, then make it easy on them. Use what the professionals use...a one yard limit.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
In the NFL, it is one yard. A much smaller area to concentrate on. Secondly, the NFL officials are paid professionals. It's their primary job. In college, it is a bunch of bankers, lawyers, accountants, and insurance salesmen doing it as "weekend sideline job". I've spoken with one (he's well into his forties) and he will tell you the speed of the game presents the biggest challenge.

My position is this: If your going to have a fifty year old, overweight, part time guy that runs a 6.5/40 calling a game with athletes running a 4.5/40, then make it easy on them. Use what the professionals use...a one yard limit.
Even with 5 turnovers, the 2 plays that broke Bama's back and finally lost the game was that fluke pass when Kelly thru up ball while almost sacked and bounced off Fitz helmet right to running WR and that missed OL #70, 5 yards down the field. 2 TDs that truly should not have happened without sorry refs and pure luck. 13 points in a 6 point loss. Got to pull it together, coach and play better.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I thought it was good that the announce team pointed it out on reply. Maybe gives it a little more emphasis.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
With today's technology it is an easy call. Why do we have to rely on the refs on the field to catch something that they don't seem to be willing to watch for?

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
It is getting ridiculous! It should be a reviewable play. Change that and get rid of the lame targeting rule. In the old days, that used to be unnecessary roughness. If things don't change and change in the offseason, I may just look for better things to do on Saturdays in the fall.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Amazing how a lineman six yards down the field can get a receiver 30 yards behind the secondary :)
Blue font
I agree, but the entire scheme of the play is do something illegal. I agree with what Jess said about a combo coverage for plays like that, but that can be hard to implement. It's tough for the secondary to know when to go to that.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree, but the entire scheme of the play is do something illegal. I agree with what Jess said about a combo coverage for plays like that, but that can be hard to implement. It's tough for the secondary to know when to go to that.
What you say is true and I don't like the rule either. But there's also a rule that in man to man coverage you don't leave your man until the ball is thrown or the QB is past the line of scrimmage. The way it is now though that play is indeed almost impossible to defend, so you're right about that.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Right now the answer for us is to start doing the same things our deceitful opponents do. The surest way to get something done is for Alabama to win a game that way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.