So, linemen downfield... something has to change!

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
the QB can have one toe not past the line of scrimmage and it is considered a legal pass. Ridiculous. It is a play used almost exclusively by the likes of Malzahn and Freeze to gain an illegal advantage. And they never get called for it. Freeze knew the game had completely turn in Bama's favor- no coincidence when it was called- biggest play of the game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Look, I don't know if Alabama wins the game if that is called correctly. I do know that Ole Miss doesn't score a touchdown on that play. The problem, and I said this before the game, is you can't really do anything about it. It's a run play, it is a legal run play, that turns into an illegal pass and I don't know how to teach a defense to defend that. It's breaking the rules plain and simple and the HUNH does it routinely without getting called. That's not ok.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
there will be no changes to this rule, complaining about it is pointless. the powers that be clearly do not care. and it is not like they will retroactively reverse the call now. complaining and getting mad about it will only raise your bp.

BamaWally

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2012
Need to change to the Pro rule of one yard down field or make it reviewable. Or, let the fans call it. My section clearly saw it!!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
there will be no changes to this rule, complaining about it is pointless. the powers that be clearly do not care. and it is not like they will retroactively reverse the call now. complaining and getting mad about it will only raise your bp.
I don't know about that. It was close to being changed this past spring. We had it missed at least twice in separate games by two different SEC crews. I can see it changed to the NFL standard maybe as early as next year.

The only way to stop it for the rest of this year is to send a mandate to officials that "Even if it is remotely close, flag it." Of course, I thought that was kind of the situation with it being a "point of emphasis" this year. I guess not.

Unfortunately as you stated, it does us no good at this point. As Krazy said, it is a legal run play that turns into an illegal pass play. All good defenses react to keys or tells by the offense. If they read a lineman releasing, the natural instinct for a DB is to support the run.

Even Danielson said yesterday in the LSU-AU game that "this has to be cleaned up. Your clearly putting the defense at a huge disadvantage". It was pointed out in our game (somewhat belatedly) as well by Fowler and Herbie. The head of SEC officiating should be completely and utterly embarrassed by the failure of his crews yesterday.

Maybe this will be the catalyst to change it next year. I hope so.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't know about that. It was close to being changed this past spring. We had it missed at least twice in separate games by two different SEC crews. I can see it changed to the NFL standard maybe as early as next year.

The only way to stop it for the rest of this year is to send a mandate to officials that "Even if it is remotely close, flag it." Of course, I thought that was kind of the situation with it being a "point of emphasis" this year. I guess not..
For people that couldn't spend the day watching football, they might not have realized what happened though.

To recap, in the Auburn game, Auburn scored a touchdown with lineman downfield and apparently the only reason the play was even reviewed was to see if the quarterback went over the line of scrimmage. Then, in the Alabama game the exact same thing happened. This is nothing new, but yes, we're talking about an alleged point of emphasis, that involved blown calls on two touchdown plays (in the Auburn game I believe they made the correct call that the QB was past the line).

It's just... how many touchdowns do we have to see on illegal plays before it's addressed? It is changing the outcome of games, and it's an easy enough call to make. In the Auburn play, there was a ref a couple of yards away from the lineman, that was such an easy flag to throw. Not like you're gonna miss a 300 pound guy standing next to you.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Tell the refs to throw the flag when in doubt and let the booth review it.

Just out of curiosity, which game had the 8th ref this week?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
In the Auburn play, there was a ref a couple of yards away from the lineman, that was such an easy flag to throw. Not like you're gonna miss a 300 pound guy standing next to you.
In our game an official is a yard away staring at him. If your not gonna call it, throw out the rule and allow lineman downfield. At least then Saban/Kirby can scheme for it.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
it does not surprise me Ritter's crew missed this. I've said it before, he reffed TX HS football years ago and the officiating supervisor is a former co-worker who has kept in touch with him over the years. Ritter HATES BAMA and has told him he loves doing BAMA games.... Ritter's crew is never going to make that call.

Maybe blowing up Ritters phone and e-mail may make some feel better! If I were Saban, I'd create a play card with a photo of the play and the words 3 is greater than 5.

At the end of the day I see this team going 1 of 2 ways.... Beat UGA and finish 11-1 win the West cuz Ole Miss will lose 3 games or, implode and finish 7-5 with major staff/personnel changes. My money is strongly on the first scenario.

Tom Ritter, Nashville (B) XXX-XXX-XXXX (C) XXX-XXX-XXXX xxx@xxxxx.com
Obviously I'm not a mod, but this ain't right.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
For people that couldn't spend the day watching football, they might not have realized what happened though.

To recap, in the Auburn game, Auburn scored a touchdown with lineman downfield and apparently the only reason the play was even reviewed was to see if the quarterback went over the line of scrimmage. Then, in the Alabama game the exact same thing happened. This is nothing new, but yes, we're talking about an alleged point of emphasis, that involved blown calls on two touchdown plays (in the Auburn game I believe they made the correct call that the QB was past the line).

It's just... how many touchdowns do we have to see on illegal plays before it's addressed? It is changing the outcome of games, and it's an easy enough call to make. In the Auburn play, there was a ref a couple of yards away from the lineman, that was such an easy flag to throw. Not like you're gonna miss a 300 pound guy standing next to you.
They reviewed it and ruled that Johnson of Auburn was behind the LOS and let it stand, just like our game last night. So touchdowns scored in two separate conference games that essentially illegal. At least you can say in the LSU-Auburn it probably didn't impact the outcome. Ours...not so much.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They reviewed it and ruled that Johnson of Auburn was behind the LOS and let it stand, just like our game last night. So touchdowns scored in two separate conference games that essentially illegal. At least you can say in the LSU-Auburn it probably didn't impact the outcome. Ours...not so much.
My brain was completely addled by that crazy Alabama game so I was trying to remember the exact chain of events. It's unforgivable though, too easy a call to make, too obvious to everyone that watches the play.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Rest assured it is on purpose and will only continue to get worse until they start hitting these teams with penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Have you ever had a rule at work or school that was on the books but was never enforced? Did you ever push the envelope to break the rule even more just because you could get away with it and it would make life easier and you benefited from it?

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA
OK it's illegal for OL to be downfield / QB to be over the line. But Ref's all over are not calling it. So coach adjust for it. Cover the wide open WR or we will continue to see this Mickey Mouse crap over and over. It is like charging in BB. If refs not calling it adjust to the refs.

Take away Three Stooges, illegal pass downfield, and turnovers Bama would have romped over OM and these discussions would not be here.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's pretty ridiculous when you really look at it. Should be an obvious call if the referees are taught to look for it.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
It's pretty ridiculous when you really look at it. Should be an obvious call if the referees are taught to look for it.
I believe it was Mark Curls' crew that got suspended for screwing up a play in a UGA game several years ago...They seemed to get better after that. Maybe Steve Shaw will start suspending crews. It isn't fair to any team. I don't want BAMA to install that bush league play. I just want the dang rules enforced and if Ritter can't control his crew, Shaw can...

I'm a little disappointed Saban didn't mention the play last night and defend his players a little. Maybe, yes we miscommunicated but, we really don't have a play for for an illegal linemen 6 yards downfield. In fairness maybe he had not seen the play yet. Does the SEC have a process where they submit plays for review? Does the league clarify whether or not coach is correct?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.