JessN: Ole Miss wrap-up: Turnovers, QB play hurt, but poor defense finished off the Tide

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I, for one, will rejoice when the HUNH dies a horrible, excruciating death. It is the worst of the worst of college football.
Me too. not to nit pick but i don't think that it was the tempo that caused our defense problems last night it seemed to be the spread. A lot of teams seem to be having a lot of success against Alabama throwing the ball down the sideline. But our defensive problems are particularly acute when it is HUNH spread with a dual threat QB. And I think that kind of offense is trouble for any defense.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Jess made it pretty clear that he is looking at TRENDS. Fluke plays happen, but if you are consistently stopping the other team they won't matter. While I agree the illegal man downfield plays need to be stopped, that had NO BEARING on the CB biting down early to take the QB on the run while his receiver just ran by him into the end zone. Perhaps it was a freshman mistake. But we've seen the same mistake several times and it has cost the team games. Fluke plays can't be stopped because, well, they are fluke plays. Trends tell you something deeper and more meaningful. Trends can be changed with effort. You know, wisdom to know the difference between things you can and cannot change? (serenity prayer) We also can't change the linemen downfield calls immediately. We have to live with the things we can't change immediately and work on the things we can. 5 turnovers was huge, but play this game 100 times and that happens - if the other team is lucky - maybe one other time. I do see a trend in overall turnovers increasing since LK came aboard and that has to be reversed as well.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Great point. I actually thought the defense played pretty well against a very good spread team. They had the one fluke play, and on the other youth reared it's ugly head. The DB should never leave his coverage until you're sure what's going on. He broke off the receiver before the qb even got to the line of scrimmage. I'm assuming he thought run all the way. But we were in a hole from the git go because of turnovers. And the first half play calling didn't help get us out. Why we tried to run an end around at the two yard line against a lively, stunting defense baffled me. Give it to Derrick Henry straight ahead. I think he can get two yards in two plays. Instead we try trickery and lose 10 yards.

But in the end, despite the flukes and flops and erratic QB play, take away the turnovers and we win this game. Seems like any time we lose in Bryant-Denny, the stars align for the other team and weird stuff happens all over the place. Krymsonman

Jess made it pretty clear that he is looking at TRENDS. Fluke plays happen, but if you are consistently stopping the other team they won't matter. While I agree the illegal man downfield plays need to be stopped, that had NO BEARING on the CB biting down early to take the QB on the run while his receiver just ran by him into the end zone. Perhaps it was a freshman mistake. But we've seen the same mistake several times and it has cost the team games. Fluke plays can't be stopped because, well, they are fluke plays. Trends tell you something deeper and more meaningful. Trends can be changed with effort. You know, wisdom to know the difference between things you can and cannot change? (serenity prayer) We also can't change the linemen downfield calls immediately. We have to live with the things we can't change immediately and work on the things we can. 5 turnovers was huge, but play this game 100 times and that happens - if the other team is lucky - maybe one other time. I do see a trend in overall turnovers increasing since LK came aboard and that has to be reversed as well.
Maybe he saw #70 blocking in the secondary and thought it was running play since that is how football is supposed to work...

Last edited:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Bobby Williams must know something about a dead body because Saban got him the Michigan State head coaching job back in the early 2000s and repeatedly rehired him despite lacking results at TE and special teams.

If he isn't sent to the home this year then I suppose he's just gonna be a lifer with the Saban regime.
We speculated last night at BDS that he must make one hellacious cup of coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
First off, I am proud of our team for not giving up and fighting back.

This year's team has issues, and if they don't get fixed we probably haven't lost our last game. Even if you could somehow take away "fluke plays", "illegal plays", what have you, and we had won this game; it wouldn't erase the problems this team has. QB play is deficient. Punting looked better and the onside kick was top-notch, but overall ST play has been a train wreck this year. The defense certainly had some very good moments last night, but DB play is deficient. OL play needs to improve.
I'm not saying that the sky is falling and it's time to shut down the program. I think this team has heart and fight. But, this team has issues that if not fixed will keep it from achieving the level of success that we would all like to see.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I knew before the game started that whoever made the least mistakes in the game would win. Bama 5 turnovers Ole Miss 0. It don't get much easier than that to explain the loss. If that turnover margin is a trend of things to come then we got 3 or more losses to look forward to. Ole Miss looks legit to me on both sides of the ball so just as last season we will just have to wait and see how good they really are. The one good thing this year from last in their favor is Bo Wallace is gone!

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Does anyone? Who out there is running a defensive scheme that is consistently shutting down or "stopping" spread offenses as run by good teams? Not asking this argumentatively, and I`m not saying they`re not out there. I`d just like to watch them do it.
Good question. I just looked up last year's results:

Bama - gave up 44 (AU) and 45 (OSU) points to spread teams last year.

LSU - gave up 31, 34, and 41(AU) to spread teams last year.

Ole Miss - gave up 35 (AU) and 42 to spread teams last year. Also gave up 30 to Arkansas.

Florida - gave up 30, 30, and 42(MIZZ) to spread teams last. Also gave up 42 to us, basically running a version of the spread most of the game.

Arkansas - gave up 45 (AU), 30, 35 to spread teams. Also gave up 45 to UGA.

UGA - gave up 38, 32, 38, 31 to spread teams last year. Also gave up 32 to ARK and 30 to GT.

MIZZ - didn't play any good spread teams last year, but got ran over by Bama and UGA, 42 and 34 points, respectively.

Those were the SEC's top defenses last year.

Besides UGA, AU scored 35+ points on OM, Ark, LSU, and us last year. OTOH, UGA gave 30+ points in 6 games last year. No other team in the SEC had to play OSU, but I suspect OSU would have done as well against any of them also, based on the data above.

So for all the people wanting to change our defensive scheme, tell us what we should change it to.

I'll hang up and listen.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'll tell you that the play-calls on offense concern me. Something works well and we go completely away from it. They are gassed and vulnerable to the run and the dink passes and we throw downfield with plenty of time left when we have not consistently protected the QB on those plays, haven't had receivers capable of getting open on those plays, the defense is in prevent mode, and our QB's have consistently not been able to make the throws on those plays. We were ripping them and then completely stopped doing what was working. It felt like if we run the ball (plenty of time on the clock at that point) and hit the quick passes we overpower them in traditional Alabama fashion. But alas, we throw three straight passes and an interception. I am just baffled overall by the play calls. Completely, totally baffled.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
You mean the TCU Horned Frogs who gave up 33, 30 and 61 last year to Oklahoma, West Virginia and Baylor respectively? That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
You asked the question who runs a defense that is consistently successful against the spread. TCU has been facing them longer than anyone has had good defensive success over the years. I posted an article that gets into the x & os of their defensive schemes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So for all the people wanting to change our defensive scheme, tell us what we should change it to.

I'll hang up and listen.
It was LSU and Stanford for a while, you know until both let HUNH teams hang big scores and now it's just... change it, to something, that's different....

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'll tell you that the play-calls on offense concern me. Something works well and we go completely away from it. They are gassed and vulnerable to the run and the dink passes and we throw downfield with plenty of time left when we have not consistently protected the QB on those plays, haven't had receivers capable of getting open on those plays, the defense is in prevent mode, and our QB's have consistently not been able to make the throws on those plays. We were ripping them and then completely stopped doing what was working. It felt like if we run the ball (plenty of time on the clock at that point) and hit the quick passes we overpower them in traditional Alabama fashion. But alas, we throw three straight passes and an interception. I am just baffled overall by the play calls. Completely, totally baffled.
I agree with that. I feel like we had we committed to the power inside running earlier (even if we didn't have success early) it would have paid dividends. They had began trying to arm tackle Henry, and I think he or Drake was on the verge of busting one and we completely got away from it.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Ole Miss wrap-up: Turnovers, QB play hurt, but poor defense finished off the ...

LOL, yeah let's go with the awesome defensive scheme that gave up 61 to Baylor, 30 to WVU, 33 to OU, 30 to Kansas!!! last year...
You realize Patterson has met with the Alabama staff recently? I guarantee you they just didn't discuss recruiting.

BTW, we have up 23 to WVU on a neutral field.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
You asked the question who runs a defense that is consistently successful against the spread. TCU has been facing them longer than anyone has had good defensive success over the years. I posted an article that gets into the x & os of their defensive schemes.
The numbers show that are not consistently successful though. They gave up 37 to SMU yesterday.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Spot on. Coker throwing deep with that much time and all of our time outs makes no sense. I still don't get why we refuse to look back for the ball in the secondary. SMH.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Ole Miss wrap-up: Turnovers, QB play hurt, but poor defense finished off the ...

The numbers show that are not consistently successful though. They gave up 37 to SMU yesterday.
There is no perfect defense. Historically they have been good and have a lot of experience facing HUNH. Perhaps their D is stale like ours is with certain offenses but it shut down Ole Miss pretty easily. And you can't blame the skull dragging on a few injuries.

The point is a new way of looking at alignments and defensive schemes.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.