Coaches poll is out (Bama 12)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You do think that the Committee would put a one loss Alabama in the play-off (as a second SEC team) ahead of a one loss ACC conference champion? Not flaming, just not sure that the Committee would do that...
The committee would like to do a lot of things, but they kind of back themselves in a corner once they start releasing their rankings. They can change them yes, but from that point on they function more like a normal poll. Don't get me wrong, unless things sort themselves out like they did last year (which took a while) I'm going to be really nervous most of the season. However, once they start ranking teams they lose the ability to just wildly move teams up or down. So if they say LSU is a top ten team, then they have to give Alabama credit for beating them. If they say a team is barely ahead of Alabama, then they have to move Alabama ahead if the other team loses.

The ACC thing is really interesting because last year FSU was seeded third if I recall correctly, and they were undefeated (the ACC schedule is just so soft). It's too early to tell really, but let's just say Georgia Tech wins out, do we think they're going to move past Alabama? That would be a hard sell for the committee. Also, it's worth mentioning that so far I think every team Alabama has played is a bowl team. Remember though, Alabama went from an almost identical position last year, to a a #1 seed.

Last edited:

CrimsonGriff

Suspended
Aug 20, 2007
GulfCoast of Florida
Re: Week 4 Coach's Poll: Bama at #12

Yep, sad. I kinda expected the fall though. They are trying to make sure we won't make the playoff.

I agree, you could hear the joy in Herbstreet and Fowler last night while announcing, they were so wanting Bama to not only lose, but be dominated, they go half their wish....we lost, but dominated ourselves, not to take anything away from the Old Sis Defense, but you take away two of the turn overs, or the bad call TD, or the gift from God TD throw that Kelly makes and we win that game handily. Seems like the whole country is against us sometimes, ow well, just need better QB play and protect the ball and stop the turnovers and we should be fine.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The committee would like to do a lot of things, but they kind of back themselves in a corner once they start releasing their rankings. They can change them yes, but from that point on they function more like a normal poll. Don't get me wrong, unless things sort themselves out like they did last year (which took a while) I'm going to be really nervous most of the season. However, once they start ranking teams they lose the ability to just wildly move teams up or down. So if they say LSU is a top ten team, then they have to give Alabama credit for beating them. If they say a team is barely ahead of Alabama, then they have to move Alabama ahead if the other team loses.

The ACC thing is really interesting because last year FSU was seeded third if I recall correctly, and they were undefeated (the ACC schedule is just so soft). It's too early to tell really, but let's just say Georgia Tech wins out, do we think they're going to move past Alabama? That would be a hard sell for the committee. Also, it's worth mentioning that so far I think every team Alabama has played is a bowl team. Remember though, Alabama went from an almost identical position last year, to a a #1 seed.
The only way it happens with the scenario that ole miss wins the west is that we win out, duh, lsu is undefeated coming into t town, nd and ucla must lose atleast twice to be sure( I still think our biggest hit last night was byu losing by 1 to ucla), and fsu and Clemson have bad losses because tcu and Baylor aren't getting left out with one loss.

CrimsonGriff

Suspended
Aug 20, 2007
GulfCoast of Florida
The only way it happens with the scenario that ole miss wins the west is that we win out, duh, lsu is undefeated coming into t town, nd and ucla must lose atleast twice to be sure( I still think our biggest hit last night was byu losing by 1 to ucla), and fsu and Clemson have bad losses because tcu and Baylor aren't getting left out with one loss.
Yep you are correct, seems like the rest of the country would love to see the SEC left out and would do anything to make that happen

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA

Happy to be at #12. At this point the polls are irrelevant. Now is the time to fix our OM issues in the next easier game to prepare us for the HELL when we get to Georgia..

TCU is there based on the ruckus they made last year being left out.

It is a long year and many teams above us will start wilting; USC lost to Stanford.

OSU there since they won last year. But they too had turnovers and could have easily lost Saturday.
OSU now sees repeating is not easy.

What idiot has Auburn at #25. They should be around #50. MSU is just as good as LSU. Here is hoping MSU lays a beating on Auburn.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
mildly shocked we dropped as far as we did.

completely shocked auburn is still ranked at all.

Ucla beat BYU? I thought they ere trailing by 2 scores in the 4th?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I agree, you could hear the joy in Herbstreet and Fowler last night while announcing, they were so wanting Bama to not only lose, but be dominated, they go half their wish....we lost, but dominated ourselves, not to take anything away from the Old Sis Defense, but you take away two of the turn overs, or the bad call TD, or the gift from God TD throw that Kelly makes and we win that game handily. Seems like the whole country is against us sometimes, ow well, just need better QB play and protect the ball and stop the turnovers and we should be fine.
I just didn't hear that "joy" you are talking about. IMO, Fower and Herby are professionally fair as they come.

I don't understand the "every announcer hates us" thing that so many seem to have.

As for the ranking, it'll take care of itself if we win out. We just need LSU or ATM to upset OM.

I do think we'll need to win the SEC to get to the PlayOFF.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Yeah I wasn't expecting Alabama to fall this far. I now have a long list of teams to cheer against. But, Ohio State was in a similar situation last year and it turned out just fine for them.

Alabama can take two teams in front of them out, Clemson and Notre Dame have a game upcoming, Baylor and TCU will play each other, as will Michigan St. and Ohio St. So that puts them at 7th hypothetically if they win out, it's not an easy path but if Alabama handles business the rest should sort itself out

This is why low SoS is a huge advantage. Alabama players a far, far better team, only loses by 6 and they fall from 2 to 12. Ohio State plays a vastly inferior team, only wins by 7, and they are still #1. It's better to schedule cupcakes...
I am so with you on this one.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Zzzzzzzzzzzz..........This poll (or any other poll outside of the playoff committee's poll) is as relevant as my own personal poll. Who cares? Not one team in America has to concern themselves with climbing in this poll...... & no, I won't buy the line that the committee is influenced any poll either....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.