We Can Still Win The National Title (Snapshot of Where We Are)

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yes - we can still win the National Title - in Recruiting.

This may turn into a bit of a lengthy combo of assessment, fuming and ranting.

First of all, congrats to the guys for continuing to fight back TWICE from multiple score deficits. With a little luck we would have won - but when you fumble the opening KO and another later, and Swag K makes a dumb decision to heave a ball up and blindly and gets rewarded with a 77 yard Manzielish TD - it pretty much means its not gonna be your night.

Kind of amazing we had the ball at the end with a shot to win.

But the truth is, our Program has lost its MOJO!

Ole Miss looked faster, hungrier, more confident, and got to the ball better on defense. Our team, loaded with top recruits from Championship classes, seemed less quick, less decisive, addled and confused at times.

I am, the day after, a walking double dichotomy of disappointed, confused, saddened, and a angry, prompting me to ask some questions...

WHY are our Coaches just offering lip service on philosophical changes, and then trotting out the same old same old? So much talk of "Re-establishing Identity" and last night we looked like Sybil out there.

This is an issue that starts at the top. IF the Head Coach wants a change, then make it happen. If Coach wants the ball run more - make it happen. It is DuBosian to make comments after games creating the idea that you wanted somethings done differently -tell the appropriate people what you want and to make it happen.

I thought LSU was in a bit of decline, but I credit Miles for one thing - he stuck with his philosophy and yesterday they looked extremely good. They are a load, and I believe a real threat to win The West and make the playoff, despite very limited QB play.

Right now, I feel our team is prone on a therapists couch, seeking clarity of who and what we are in a changing world, and we are making no progress...

WHY does the media and sometimes UA folks paint rosy pictures of improvement, but we never see it on the field?

Examples...

Mel Tucker is making a huge difference in the secondary - so far I am seeing the same old same old. Ole miss had guys attacking with good ball awareness, our guys are always trying to play catch up and hoping they can somehow get in the way of a pass they think is coming but have no idea from where the ball will arrive.

Bama will have an improved pass rush - think it is better somewhat this year, but I see other teams that are far more successful at affecting the QB. We hear how Evans and Williams are really good off the edge, but we never seem to use them.

The Offensive line will be nastier this year - Bought this after week one, not after seeing the last two weeks though. Our right side has been a liability, Kelly had a poor game, and even Cam Robinson looks like he has regressed.

JK Scott will set records - TOTALLY bought this going into the season. Not now. Scott looks like a shell of the freshman punter we had, and looks noticeably uncomfortable and with diminishing confidence.Then, AFTER the season starts, we then hear how JK did not have a good summer???

QB ____ is starting to take the job - We literally heard from those that cover the team, at some point this summer, that EVERY one of our 5 guys were looking really good and might be "the Guy". Every one, even the true freshman.

IF WE TRULY want to continue winning Championships, some things HAVE TO CHANGE.

Some ideas, since I know The Coaches and UA Officials all read this board... :)

Maybe, we need to make "recruiting ability" a bit less high on the staff priority list, and raise the priority of "teaching ability". I firmly believe we have the players to succeed at the highest levels, but somehow the transitioning of athletic ability and talent to play-making on the field is on the wane.

Maybe, we need to hire a guy to "Teach" special teams. I know the current guy is a long-timer with Coach Saban, but we are painfully bad on special teams. Probably cost us the game last night imo. We have not had a difference maker in the return game since Javy left, and Williams somehow has screwed up a guy I thought might just turn out to be in Ray Guy's class.

Maybe, our schemes and "systems" are so complicated it inhibits raw talent from seeing the field. Maybe, our schemes no longer really confuse the opponent, especially with the new quick throws and read option plays - but they DO confuse our own guys. I do not for a minute think the ole miss players are smarter than our guys, but last night they seemed, especially on defense, to play more freely and loose than our guys.

Maybe we need to change our approach in regards as to how we evaluate, recruit, and Coach Quarterbacks. The call to start Bateman last night was rather odd, in my opinion. The whole QB muddle huddle of this season has gotten ridiculous. At some point you have to make a decision and just try to ride with it. And next year looks like we will be going through this 'competition" all over again...

Coach Bryant was the greatest Coach of all time, and in large part because he was able to change as change was needed. This may be the greatest challenge for Coach Saban. Without willingness to change, and maybe make some tough decisions with staff, and start doing some things differently than maybe you ever have, I think we have peaked under Coach Saban's leadership.

I am getting a 1980-82 type feeling about The Program, and it is as uncomfortable and disconcerting as third degree jock itch.

There, I feel better now, as creating this was cathartic in an odd way.

Oh, and the ribs yesterday were PRIMO! :cheers2: on TideFans.com

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

First of all, congrats to the guys for continuing to fight back TWICE from multiple score deficits. With a little luck we would have won - but when you fumble the opening KO and another later, and Swag K makes a dumb decision to heave a ball up and blindly and gets rewarded with a 77 yard Manzielish TD - it pretty much means its not gonna be your night.

Ole Miss looked faster, hungrier, more confident, and got to the ball better on defense. Our team, loaded with top recruits from Championship classes, seemed less quick, less decisive, addled and confused at times.

I am, the day after, a walking double dichotomy of disappointed, confused, saddened, and a angry, prompting me to ask some questions...

WHY are our Coaches just offering lip service on philosophical changes, and then trotting out the same old same old? So much talk of "Re-establishing Identity" and last night we looked like Sybil out there.

This is an issue that starts at the top. IF the Head Coach wants a change, then make it happen. If Coach wants the ball run more - make it happen. It is DuBosian to make comments after games creating the idea that you wanted somethings done differently -tell the appropriate people what you want and to make it happen.

I thought LSU was in a bit of decline, but I credit Miles for one thing - he stuck with his philosophy and yesterday they looked extremely good. They are a load, and I believe a real threat to win The West and make the playoff, despite very limited QB play.

Right now, I feel our team is prone on a therapists couch, seeking clarity of who and what we are in a changing world, and we are making no progress...

WHY does the media and sometimes UA folks paint rosy pictures of improvement, but we never see it on the field?

Examples...

Mel Tucker is making a huge difference in the secondary - so far I am seeing the same old same old. Ole miss had guys attacking with good ball awareness, our guys are always trying to play catch up and hoping they can somehow get in the way of a pass they think is coming but have no idea from where the ball will arrive.

Bama will have an improved pass rush - think it is better somewhat this year, but I see other teams that are far more successful at affecting the QB. We hear how Evans and Williams are really good off the edge, but we never seem to use them.

The Offensive line will be nastier this year - Bought this after week one, not after seeing the last two weeks though. Our right side has been a liability, Kelly had a poor game, and even Cam Robinson looks like he has regressed.

JK Scott will set records - TOTALLY bought this going into the season. Not now. Scott looks like a shell of the freshman punter we had, and looks noticeably uncomfortable and with diminishing confidence.Then, AFTER the season starts, we then hear how JK did not have a good summer???

QB ____ is starting to take the job - We literally heard from those that cover the team, at some point this summer, that EVERY one of our 5 guys were looking really good and might be "the Guy". Every one, even the true freshman.

Maybe, we need to make "recruiting ability" a bit less high on the staff priority list, and raise the priority of "teaching ability". I firmly believe we have the players to succeed at the highest levels, but somehow the transitioning of athletic ability and talent to play-making on the field is on the wane.

Maybe, we need to hire a guy to "Teach" special teams. I know the current guy is a long-timer with Coach Saban, but we are painfully bad on special teams. Probably cost us the game last night imo. We have not had a difference maker in the return game since Javy left, and Williams somehow has screwed up a guy I thought might just turn out to be in Ray Guy's class.

Maybe, our schemes and "systems" are so complicated it inhibits raw talent from seeing the field. Maybe, our schemes no longer really confuse the opponent, especially with the new quick throws and read option plays - but they DO confuse our own guys. I do not for a minute think the ole miss players are smarter than our guys, but last night they seemed, especially on defense, to play more freely and loose than our guys.

Maybe we need to change our approach in regards as to how we evaluate, recruit, and Coach Quarterbacks. The call to start Bateman last night was rather odd, in my opinion. The whole QB muddle huddle of this season has gotten ridiculous. At some point you have to make a decision and just try to ride with it. And next year looks like we will be going through this 'competition" all over again...

Coach Bryant was the greatest Coach of all time, and in large part because he was able to change as change was needed. This may be the greatest challenge for Coach Saban. Without willingness to change, and maybe make some tough decisions with staff, and start doing some things differently than maybe you ever have, I think we have peaked under Coach Saban's leadership.

I am getting a 1980-82 type feeling about The Program, and it is as uncomfortable and disconcerting as third degree jock itch.

To say this feels like 1980-82 is way overboard IMO. How we win the West is we can not turn the ball over 5 times and beat anyone, much less Ole Miss.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Just a note, JK Scott was great yesterday.
JK Scott was absolutely great yesterday. I understand the frustration of the original poster though. We got a lotta 5 star guys on the team......but there seems to an issue of less than expected player development whether it be QBs or the DBs. The special teams turnovers were disheartening to say the least. And I never thought I would see Coch Saban getting outcoached by coach freeze.

Having said that we never gave up......think about it....we had a chance to win that game in the last minute of regulation. Despite all our mistakes. So to me the truth lies somewhere in the middle. We're not as bad as we looked against ole miss but at this point we got a lot of mental mistakes to correct cause as of now Bama is not a playoff caliber team imo.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Ehh :conf3: ?

Boo. Not even close. But, I understand this was a rant. Bygones.
I agree. This is more like a mid to late 70's feel where losing one important game can cost the prize potentially but even losing 3 games is rare and losing 1 is the norm. This is truly an amazing run by Alabama despite some deserved criticism being brought forth today.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I agree. This is more like a mid to late 70's feel where losing one important game can cost the prize potentially but even losing 3 games is rare and losing 1 is the norm. This is truly an amazing run by Alabama despite some deserved criticism being brought forth today.
My feelings exactly. I've been thinking that the year we lost 3 games (2010) we had a very good team that year. Yet somehow, we have steered clear of repeating that. I still don't see even this team losing more than 3 or even 2. But I get that Pitmaster was in a rant ... I feel obligated to cut him some slack ;-)

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Surprised no one has commented, agreed, or dissented with the ending of...

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Surprised no one has commented, agreed, or dissented with the ending of...

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, to paraphrase, the game has left Saban behind? Am i reading this correctly? This thread has me confused.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
Over the past 5 years we have been in a position to play for a national championship going into the last game of the regular season. What other program can say that over the past 20 to 30 years.

We lost to this same team last year and still made a run at it. We had a chance to beat the number 3 team in the country(as of today) last night despite 5 turnovers. Name me another team that could recover not once but twice from down 20 points in the second half. Not to mention how disheartening some of the blows were that Alabama had to contend with.

As frustrating as it was as a fan how much more do you think it was for the players. They are the ones who are sacrificing their time and energy everyday at practice.

We didn't win the battle on Saturday but I believe we will be a major factor down the stretch. Way to much heart on this team for them to roll over.

Roll Tide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Without starting a new thread lets take a look at some things:

1. QB- While this has been a heated debate ever since the realization that Jake Coker would probably be our starter this year, I think its time to pick one or else face another game like this against a more inferior SEC opponent than Ole Miss. Yes I said it, Ole Miss is the toughest team on our schedule, and that includes LSU,aTm, and UGA. We should beat all three of them and the rest of the SEC overhyped teams like Auburn,Arkansas, and Tennessee. To me it is clear that CNS seems to want either Bateman or Morris since they fit that game manager role of old, and CLK wants Jake,BB,or Cornwell that has all the talent. But there are two problems: 1) Morris,Cornwell, and BB are either not ready or are in the team's doghouse. 2) Bateman and Jake arent exactly the greatest qbs in the SEC and you either have to choose between Bateman's lack of game control and passing limitations or Jake's Brett farve and Ben Roethlisberger type of big payoffs and big mistake ratios. To be honest, I think Jake is the better option because the two less talked about qualities that he proved is that he has a winner's heart (not to say Bateman doesnt possess if given the oppurtunity) and the ability to live with a mistake and not dwell into a sinkhole. Bateman or Coker it must be decided before UGA or else we will suffer the same type of game as we did last night.

2. Turnovers and boneheaded decisions on special teams- I thought the days of us committing TO's on special teams died after the Sugar Bowl, but apparently we still suffer from boneheaded decisions like trying to do too much or not hanging onto the ball. This must be corrected or its going to make games really intresting in the wrong way.

3. We cant worry about what other teams do and just finish our buisness- this is self explainatory

Im not going to dog the defense because they actually played a good game despite the score, but they need to continue to improve and win us some games until or if the offense gets back up to speed. UGA and LSU we should win because they play into our strenghts and mask their weaknesses because they havent really played anyone until both get us, aTm is the trickest team on our schedule. Yes its hypocritical that I mention those future games because of my 3rd point, but Im more trying to show an optimistic standpoint instead of being a negative Nancy here because its far too easy to be negative after a loss. With that said, lets get ready to beat La Monroe and see how this season will be written. RTR

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Can we still win the NC? Yes. All the teams in front of us play each other - OSU-MSU, LSU-OM, TCU-BAYLOR, UCLA-USC, FSU-CLEMSOM, BAMA-UGA, etc. Will Bama be able to run the table on the rest of our schedule? At this point it looks unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out just yet. 2 weeks at Athens we will know more about where this team stands..

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Examples...

Your post brings out a couple of good points, but to suggest, in any way, that we need to change "leadership", or that we have "peaked", or gone "as far as we can go" under Coach Saban is absolutely beyond ignorant, and borders on stupidity.
I disagree with Coach Saban's philosophy at times, and have sometimes brought it out in no uncertain terms.
But, in my opinion, he has rebuilt the best college football program in the country, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone.
With all due respect...
sip

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Your post brings out a couple of good points, but to suggest, in any way, that we need to change "leadership", or that we have "peaked", or gone "as far as we can go" under Coach Saban is absolutely beyond ignorant, and borders on stupidity.
I disagree with Coach Saban's philosophy at times, and have sometimes brought it out in no uncertain terms.
But, in my opinion, he has rebuilt the best college football program in the country, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone.
With all due respect...
sip
If you take off your glasses for a minute, maybe you shouldn't use words like ignorant or stupid, when one suggests that it looks like we may have peaked.

He's simply making an opinion based on actual recent results.

You're predicting the future based on actual not-as-recent results. There is room for both points of view.

This is a highly paid coaching staff. Let's see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is a highly paid coaching staff. Let's see it.
You don't think that you are "getting your money's worth" from this coaching staff? Think that there is a better staff out there? Think that Saban isn't working hard every day to improve every aspect of this program? Think that anyone could do a better job?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine:

Saban won 3 titles in 4 years. As a result, Alabama fans have lost sight of just how hard it is to win just ONE title. So you now believe that contending for titles every year isn't good enough. It isn't good enough that Saban beats HUNH teams and spread teams almost every week at Alabama - he now needs to shut those teams down completely in so doing.

Winning championships is hard and requires more than just a great coaching staff and great players - it also requires some luck. You had a lot of luck in each of your 3 championship seasons. We (at OSU) had a lot of luck last season. Ole Miss had a lot of luck (I mean, like a whole season's worth of luck) in the game this past Saturday. Stuff happens.

Saban is going to retire some day. Enjoy the ride, because it will be over before you know it.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
You don't think that you are "getting your money's worth" from this coaching staff? Think that there is a better staff out there? Think that Saban isn't working hard every day to improve every aspect of this program? Think that anyone could do a better job?

Saban won 3 titles in 4 years. As a result, Alabama fans have lost sight of just how hard it is to win just ONE title. So you now believe that contending for titles every year isn't good enough. It isn't good enough that Saban beats HUNH teams and spread teams almost every week at Alabama - he now needs to shut those teams down completely in so doing.

Winning championships is hard and requires more than just a great coaching staff and great players - it also requires some luck. You had a lot of luck in each of your 3 championship seasons. We (at OSU) had a lot of luck last season. Ole Miss had a lot of luck (I mean, like a whole season's worth of luck) in the game this past Saturday. Stuff happens.

Saban is going to retire some day. Enjoy the ride, because it will be over before you know it.
I'm saying that right now, 9/21/15, let's see it. No question, it's been/is a helluva run. Let's see it. How does the staff coach the 2015 version of the Tide to bounce back and finish strong.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I'm saying that right now, 9/21/15, let's see it. No question, it's been/is a helluva run. Let's see it. How does the staff coach the 2015 version of the Tide to bounce back and finish strong.

We are probably seeing a situation where it is harder to maintain excellence than to build it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We are probably seeing a situation where it is harder to maintain excellence than to build it.
It has always been this hard, but when the fans only see "excellence" in perfect teams it becomes impossible.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Thank you! Those of us that were here through the three Mikes, "hold the rope", "It's rollin, baby", Debbie Gibson, Logan Young/Albert Means/the secret witness/Roy Kramer, "fear the thumb" and other hits would do well to take a moment and reflect.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Absolutely. And look, this isn't a criticism so much as a 'challenge' (not that they'll ever know some random dude on the internet challenged them).

The target is still on our back, teams have caught up, or are continuing to catch up, let's see what you've got.

But more so, let's see if we can clean up the mess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.