The one series in game that most frustrates me ...

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
As many things about the game that frustrates me or baffles me .. for so many reasons ...
The one thing that makes me most frustrated is when we got the ball back with 3 minutes in the game. With all the mistakes we had made, I just knew we were about to have our miraculous finish! Had plenty of time ... Coker ran the ball out to the 35 yard line. I just knew we were winning by 1 point. Then the next play happened .... WHY OH WHY would we throw that desperation pass long when Coker had proven the entire game that this was not a good idea! If we would have fed the beast, thrown some short routes .. I truly believed we would have won. We had momentum in our favor ..

I just cannot understand that call!
So many mistakes in this game and still the chance to win!

It just makes me sick that we had 5 turnovers .. I live up here in Cincinnati and listening to these OSU fans today is killing me!!!

I do believe we will get this turned around and believe that we control our own destiny. We win out and we will have our chance again!
Hopefully this loss will light a fire under these kids!!

RTR ALWAYS!!!

FYI ... my husband and I got up on Saturday morning and left very early to go to the game. .. then drove home after the game ... got home about 9 am on Sunday ... drive home would have been much easier with a win :(

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, and that is the only time in the game in which I actually became angry and needed to calm myself (there was no calming my wife). Kiffin lost you the game on that play call. I have no doubt in my mind that you win the game if you just continue with the same play calls that got you back into the game at that point.

Ole Miss was totally gassed and had no answers for your running game.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
As many things about the game that frustrates me or baffles me .. for so many reasons ...
The one thing that makes me most frustrated is when we got the ball back with 3 minutes in the game. With all the mistakes we had made, I just knew we were about to have our miraculous finish! Had plenty of time ... Coker ran the ball out to the 35 yard line. I just knew we were winning by 1 point. Then the next play happened .... WHY OH WHY would we throw that desperation pass long when Coker had proven the entire YEAR that this was not a good idea! If we would have fed the beast, thrown some short routes .. I truly believed we would have won. We had momentum in our favor ..

It just makes me sick that we had 5 turnovers .. I live up here in Cincinnati and listening to these OSU fans today is killing me!!!

I do believe we will get this turned around and believe that we control our own destiny. We win out and we will have our chance again!

RTR ALWAYS!!!

FYI ... my husband and I got up on Saturday morning and left very early to go to the game. .. then drove home after the game ... got home about 9 am on Sunday ... drive home would have been much easier with a win :([/QUOTE

Fify :)

Also osu really has no room to talk...they almost lost to niu.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The one thing that makes me most frustrated is when we got the ball back with 3 minutes in the game. With all the mistakes we had made, I just knew we were about to have our miraculous finish! Had plenty of time ... Coker ran the ball out to the 35 yard line. I just knew we were winning by 1 point. Then the next play happened .... WHY OH WHY would we throw that desperation pass long when Coker had proven the entire game that this was not a good idea! If we would have fed the beast, thrown some short routes .. I truly believed we would have won. We had momentum in our favor ..

RTR ALWAYS!!!

FYI ... my husband and I got up on Saturday morning and left very early to go to the game. .. then drove home after the game ... got home about 9 am on Sunday ... drive home would have been much easier with a win :(
I didn't understand that one either. If anything we should have been trying to score while eating up the time on the clock.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He's west coast Pac-10 style where the sixth and seventh best athletes are defensive backs because the first five are wide outs. It's just not that way here in the SEC and he has got to get that in his head. You need a dominant receiver (Cooper) or an accurate deep ball thrower to make to plays in the SEC, and right now we have neither.

I too, just knew we had the game in the bag with the ball and three minutes...pound Henry for first downs and just keep chugging.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Trust me - no OSU fan is talking smack this morning.
I wish that was the case, B1GTide. I've already heard it from 2 OSU fans at different times this morning up here in Dayton, OH. Goes with the territory I suppose.

Regardless, I agree with the original poster of this thread. I would have loved to see a healthy dose of Henry on that drive. It had just been shown to work earlier. Short pass calls could be mixed in, with Coker running for what he could get if the coverage dictated that.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
There were so many bad things in this game, but that's the one I'll never get past. With three minutes, a tired defense, a time out, and a first and ten at your own 35, you can afford to spend at least a minute of game time running your regular offense. Henry and Drake both appeared to have plenty in the tank. Now, if it gets down to 2 minutes or under and you are still on your side of the field, you may have to get a little desperate. I'm not fully ready to blame CLK yet, because I don't actually know what play was called, but I question why we even had a receiver that far down field.

The way they were aligned it looked like they were fully ready to trade 8-12 yards for time. We should have taken what they were giving us. And before anyone asks, yes, I'd feel the same way if we had completed the pass. That is NOT this team's identity.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There were so many bad things in this game, but that's the one I'll never get past. With three minutes, a tired defense, a time out, and a first and ten at your own 35, you can afford to spend at least a minute of game time running your regular offense. Henry and Drake both appeared to have plenty in the tank. Now, if it gets down to 2 minutes are under and you are still on your side of the field, you may have to get a little desperate. I'm not fully ready to blame CLK yet, because I don't actually know what play was called, but I question why we even had a receiver that far down field.

The way they were aligned it looked like they were fully ready to trade 8-12 yards for time. We should have taken what they were giving us. And before anyone asks, yes, I'd feel the same way if we had completed the pass. That is NOT this team's identity.
yep, and if i were a betting man, i would lay money on henry or drake breaking through for a big gain any time they have an 8-12 yard head of steam

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
And if you are throwing deep with three minutes left, have success and score, do you really want to give the ball back to the Ole Miss offense with a minute or two remaining and a PK who is pefect 3/3 on the night? Me neither.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I agree, and that is the only time in the game in which I actually became angry and needed to calm myself (there was no calming my wife). Kiffin lost you the game on that play call. I have no doubt in my mind that you win the game if you just continue with the same play calls that got you back into the game at that point.

Ole Miss was totally gassed and had no answers for your running game.
You could argue that both Kiffin and Coker are equally at fault for that decision. Kiffin called the play, Coker made the decision to throw a god awful pass under duress. I don't blame Kiffin for calling a shot, and if we succeed he's a genius. What you have to tell your qb there is only take it if it's there, if not, dump it down immediately.

If you watch the play, Howard ran a 10 yard curl and was open for a sec. Had Coker hit him when he turned it was another easy first down. Instead Jake stared down the receiver, and then made a panicked decision to fling the ball when he saw the rush coming.

The play call wasn't the greatest, that's on Kiffin. The execution however was the worst, and that is on Coker.

(Also, if you notice, Stewart was at no point even looking for the ball. He actually seemed surprised when his defender had the pick. I kind of wonder if he was intended to be more of a decoy, Jake liked his matchup, and decided to take a shot. Otherwise it was the worst route I've ever seen a receiver run on a bomb.)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The call wasn't to throw deep IMO. The center completely missed the block when the defensive line stunted. Coker just chucked it up to try and make a play. I agree it was a bad decision by Coker but it was a worse attempt at a block by the center. I don't think the intention on the play was to throw the ball deep. In hindsight Coker should've just taken the sack..

Redstripe

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2012
Foley, Alabama
I totally agree, there was no need to go deep. Deep balls had not worked all night. Henry and Drake (and Coker) were getting into a grove in the short game and running the ball, ole miss defense was done. All we had to do was drive down and score with less than a minute to go. Good grief.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
The call wasn't to throw deep IMO. The center completely missed the block when the defensive line stunted. Coker just chucked it up to try and make a play. I agree it was a bad decision by Coker but it was a worse attempt at a block by the center. I don't think the intention on the play was to throw the ball deep. In hindsight Coker should've just taken the sack..
Coker could have been trying to throw it away, and just didn't get it far enough. You are right about the missed block.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pretty much the entire second half, but especially the two previous drives, consisted of runs and dink-and-dunk passes. Maybe Kiffin expected Ole Miss to expect more of the same and wanted to take a chance Stewart got open for a big gain to then run more clock.

CF is right. Kelly whiffed on the block. If he gets the block, Coker is able to make the deep throw.

In any case, I don't believe this play call was Kiffin trying to get cute or show how awesome the offense could have been. Truthfully, I wanted to see Bama MTAQ by going with 7 OL and running the ball down their throat when it was obvious the DL was tired.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

RTR ALWAYS!!!

[/I couldn't say it better, I was thinking use the clock they were worn out totally

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
CF is right. Kelly whiffed on the block. If he gets the block, Coker is able to make the deep throw.

In any case, I don't believe this play call was Kiffin trying to get cute or show how awesome the offense could have been.
Two points, but let's tackle the second first. I agree that Kiffin had no ego in play when he made the call for the deep pass. But let's be clear - he did make that play call and he did so because that is his offensive philosophy. He dinks and dunks to set up the long ball. He has done this everywhere that he has coached. Explosive plays are the real goal, no matter how effective the smaller plays might be, because he understands that explosive plays lead to a much higher chance of scoring on a given drive. So, even when the right strategy is to dink and dunk, he will always be looking for the right time to take that shot down the field.

Now to the second point - that Coker would have been able to make the deep throw if Kelly had made the block. Frankly, you have no evidence to support this point. Coker has failed at this particular part of his game at FSU and Alabama when given the opportunity. He simply can't make the throw. He should not be asked to do so when there are better alternatives.

My point - missed block or not, Kiffin put Coker in a position to fail instead of putting him in a position to succeed. It doesn't make Kiffin a bad play caller, but he has to learn from this. He has to use the talent that he has and make calls that put those players in the greatest position possible to achieve success.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Two points, but let's tackle the second first. I agree that Kiffin had no ego in play when he made the call for the deep pass. But let's be clear - he did make that play call and he did so because that is his offensive philosophy. He dinks and dunks to set up the long ball. He has done this everywhere that he has coached. Explosive plays are the real goal, no matter how effective the smaller plays might be, because he understands that explosive plays lead to a much higher chance of scoring on a given drive. So, even when the right strategy is to dink and dunk, he will always be looking for the right time to take that shot down the field.

Now to the second point - that Coker would have been able to make the deep throw if Kelly had made the block. Frankly, you have no evidence to support this point. Coker has failed at this particular part of his game at FSU and Alabama when given the opportunity. He simply can't make the throw. He should not be asked to do so when there are better alternatives.

My point - missed block or not, Kiffin put Coker in a position to fail instead of putting him in a position to succeed. It doesn't make Kiffin a bad play caller, but he has to learn from this. He has to use the talent that he has and make calls that put those players in the greatest position possible to achieve success.
I agree with you on all of this. Especially the part in bold. Even with zero pressure, Coker hasn't given anybody any reason to believe that he might have completed that throw. Maybe he'll comeplete 10 long balls next week, but there's no evidence based on the track record to date.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.