The Past, Present and Future of Alabama Football

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would hope so, but what I fear more than anything is that he gets wasted on the bench. No fault of his. Every guy on the roster now, with the exception of Morris & Coker looked all world in high school. But Hurts is different and has been described as a once in a generation talent, one that would be a 5-star QB or WR if he chose to be

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Jalen Hurts...game changing QB out of TX. (Think Vince Young in college but a much better passer). He'll be here in January

Seen him play. He's a stud but there is a gigantic leap in talent from HS to the SEC. There is potential but not sure if I would put him in the game changing category just yet.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'm fine if this season ends up a re-building year on the offensive side of the ball. We lost a lot to the NFL and probably will every year. Our defense is strong and we will be in every game. Sometimes you end up with a weaker player at a critical position. Look at LSU and the barn. They are both going through QB problems because players they thought would step up haven't. This may end up being OM's year but the future of Alabama football is as strong as it's ever been! I'm not reading or listening to any media. These guys are click baiting and talking about the Alabama dynasty will get them a lot of hits. In addition you have a lot of these people who are jealous and hate our program.Dynasty is just a word. We're going to be fine. One game does not define a team or a complete season.
I'm done with the OM game and moving forward! Roll Tide!
The concern there is that next year we'll be breaking in a new QB, 2-3 new linemen, and we'll lose our best two RBs and maybe our top TE to boot. Next year will be a rebuilding year as well on the offense - and the defense, which has been mediocre by Bama standards in many games lately (and awful on 3rd and long) will lose Allen, Reed, Pettway, Robinson, Ragland and maybe 1-2 more next year.

Ugh. I know there's plenty of talent on the team. There will be next year. But there was talent on the team against Ole Miss this year and last year too. Talent without experience just can't get it done by itself.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I would hope so, but what I fear more than anything is that he gets wasted on the bench. No fault of his. Every guy on the roster now, with the exception of Morris & Coker looked all world in high school. But Hurts is different and has been described as a once in a generation talent, one that would be a 5-star QB or WR if he chose to be
My thoughts, especially with Coker being officially starter now, is that Blake Barnett wins the QB competition next spring but the staff finds any way possible to get JH on the field.

I have a ton of great ideas for him if CLK wants to send me a pm. [emoji16]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
No one can argue our history. We have the richest heritage in college football, bar none. Looking forward, I think we'll continue to be very good for the next 3-5 yrs. Beyond that, though, I think it's hard to say, and will depend on how long Saban stays, and how the university handles his succession. Let's just hope it's not a repeat of whatt happened when the Bear retired. It took almost a decade for us to right that mistake.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No one can argue our history. We have the richest heritage in college football, bar none. Looking forward, I think we'll continue to be very good for the next 3-5 yrs. Beyond that, though, I think it's hard to say, and will depend on how long Saban stays, and how the university handles his succession. Let's just hope it's not a repeat of whatt happened when the Bear retired. It took almost a decade for us to right that mistake.
Perkins was a great hire. What came after was a mess.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If this were not coming from you, William, I'd laugh. Were still within mere weeks of using many of these same superlatives to describe an 18-year-old currently sitting on our bench. Remind me, what's his name again?

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
My Goodness...listen to the college football "experts"
1 Auburn will be a serious NC contender...right
2. Jeremy Johnson is a serious Heisman contender...right
3. The Alabama Dynasty is over....sure. I'm open for anyone who wants to put money on that. One loss does not end a dynasty any more than one win creates one.

I'm with the earlier posters. I have been watching Alabama football for over 65 years. I remember when we went 4-24-2 over a three year period. I was disappointed, sure, but I'm still here. I remember when "Mama called" in 1958, and then when fans wanted to fire CPB a decade later...then came the wishbone...I'm still here. I watched the mediocrity in the 1980s before CGS righted the ship...I'm still here.

After all these years, I can tell you, that in my opinion, we have the best coach in the history of college football, and we are the pre-eminent program in the history of college football. If you are a "bandwagon" fan, now would be a good time to find another place to roost. If you are a Bama man...buckle up...the best is yet to come! ROLL TIDE!!!
Like button!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Excellent thread. I have been watching the Tide for about 55 years. Graduated UA during the height of the 1970s dominance, and I think this era is better.

Remember: The same thing(s) win, that always won... And we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose. -- Paul Bryant

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
It took a lot - and I mean A LOT - of luck to beat us last Saturday night. Luck is a part of every football season. Congratulations to the Ole Miss team. We will get a chance for redemption either at the end of this season or next season. We have the best coaches and great players. So I'm not worried about it. We all should understand how jealous everybody else is over our football program. Thanks for starting this thread, Capstone 46!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
1977----Bama loses the second game of the season to a good but not great Nebraska team by 7 points. 24-31. Bama's all-SEC QB threw 5 interceptions.
Through toughness, effort, and great leadership by Bear Bryant...Bama fights back to an 11-1 record and a SEC championship and a "should have been" National Championship. The season included a win over #1 USC in LA and a Sugar Bowl win over Woody Hayes and Ohio State.
I'm hoping for a repeat in 2015!

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
My Goodness...listen to the college football "experts"
1 Auburn will be a serious NC contender...right
2. Jeremy Johnson is a serious Heisman contender...right
3. The Alabama Dynasty is over....sure. I'm open for anyone who wants to put money on that. One loss does not end a dynasty any more than one win creates one.

I'm with the earlier posters. I have been watching Alabama football for over 65 years. I remember when we went 4-24-2 over a three year period. I was disappointed, sure, but I'm still here. I remember when "Mama called" in 1958, and then when fans wanted to fire CPB a decade later...then came the wishbone...I'm still here. I watched the mediocrity in the 1980s before CGS righted the ship...I'm still here.

After all these years, I can tell you, that in my opinion, we have the best coach in the history of college football, and we are the pre-eminent program in the history of college football. If you are a "bandwagon" fan, now would be a good time to find another place to roost. If you are a Bama man...buckle up...the best is yet to come! ROLL TIDE!!!
^^^this^^^

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
1977----Bama loses the second game of the season to a good but not great Nebraska team by 7 points. 24-31. Bama's all-SEC QB threw 5 interceptions.
Through toughness, effort, and great leadership by Bear Bryant...Bama fights back to an 11-1 record and a SEC championship and a "should have been" National Championship. The season included a win over #1 USC in LA and a Sugar Bowl win over Woody Hayes and Ohio State.
I'm hoping for a repeat in 2015!
YES...everything you said, except for the repeat of getting screwed out of the national championship in 1977 by the AP and Coaches' Polls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.