Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
Re: Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

That play looked like it was just a good read by the QB. It's only recently been called "the pop pass". In years past it was more of a desperation throw or a typical run throw option for the QB rolling out.

It should have drawn a flag for ineligible/illegal man downfield, but our DB's need to stay on the receiver regardless of where the linemen are. It can be the difference between a touchdown or a nice gain by the QB who should to be lit up each time he decides to cross the line of scrimmage.

I'm certainly not convinced Freeze is "easily one of the top coaches in the conference" even if that made the loss more bearable, and Malzahn may know a thing or two about offense but the signs are pointing toward a coach that may be over his head. If this new QB he's starting over his previously anointed "Cam 2nd" doesn't turn things around his "thing or two" he knows may not be enough. JMHO
I said the same thing originally, but some friends of mine that have played football, agree that when the lineman is that far down the field, it is the signal of a running play and the secondary is supposed to move in for the tackle. If the rules had been adhered to and Hump followed the receiver he wouldn't be able to make the play on the back. That play was a gimme because the official who is supposed to monitor such activity was sleeping on the job.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

My original post was in reference to Kelly getting hit, throwing the ball hopelessly in the air, and it bouncing off the helmet of one Ole Miss guy, and being caught by another who ran a TD.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Made me think of the Immaculate Reception that Franco Harris caught back in the 70's to beat Kenny Stabler and the Raiders. It's one of those rare plays that you will never see again.

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA

For SelmaBornTideFan on short notice this is the best I can do to answer your question.

"Rabbit's foot is one of humanity's oldest superstitious icons, having been used since before 600 BC. The site claims that because hares and rabbits are prolific breeders, they're seen as symbols of fertility. They are thought to provide good luck, good crops, many children, and prosperity.

Although it's a bit difficult to follow, one of the more interesting stories claims that if a rabbit is killed during a full moon by a cross-eyed person, and then the rabbit's left hind foot is removed and carried in someone's left pocket, it is truly lucky. The foot is considered a powerful charm against evil because the rabbit's strong hind legs touch the ground before its front legs."

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn

With regard to the POP pass, didn't CNS say in his presser that it was caused by lack of communication in that different players were in different coverages? That seems to imply that the DB who left the receiver expected another DB to be behind him to pick up the receiver. While it in no way changes the fact that the LDF should have been called, it seems the result of the play would have been the same even if 70 stayed on the line. The play sucked for apparently multiple reasons.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

My original post was in reference to Kelly getting hit, throwing the ball hopelessly in the air, and it bouncing off the helmet of one Ole Miss guy, and being caught by another who ran a TD.
Reminded me a lot of the catch by the aubie receiver against Ga. on the last play a couple years ago

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL

Sorry if covered somewhere else, but being at the game and haven't had a chance to rewatch- on the fumble that we picked up and returned that was ruled incomplete pass, was that the correct call? I'm assuming so but thought I'd ask.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Sorry if covered somewhere else, but being at the game and haven't had a chance to rewatch- on the fumble that we picked up and returned that was ruled incomplete pass, was that the correct call? I'm assuming so but thought I'd ask.
yes, the replay showed his arm moving forward before the ball came out.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A

OK, so back to the title of the thread...
It was ridiculously lucky, but when I rewatched it I noticed that yet again the coverage man (#29 MF I think it was) had his back turned and no idea where the ball was. That's one thing on a hot back-shoulder throw, but shouldn't someone yell "ball" and the db turn around there? I'm not casting stones or saying I could play better, but looking for honest analysis of our CB technique to date this year.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

I've never figured out why a rabbit's foot is considered lucky - it sure isn't lucky for the rabbit, and he's got four of them.
That reminds me of the Richard Pryor story about the "Voodoo Lady":

She had "...a monkey's foot around her neck and a three-legged monkey. That monkey didn't give HER no trouble, but it messed with anyone else."

"I said 'Ms. Rudolph, can you do something about the monkey?' She said, 'I ain't got to do nothing about the monkey. Monkey lives here, you're visiting...'". :biggrin:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Sips OP about the "lucky" break pass and the one where the lineman was downfield both came at critical moments when we were close to turning the Tide. Both were critical plays their offense made/benefited from that resulted in 14 points.

But it was really our own offensive miscues that killed us in this game.

Just the 10 points they got off the two fumbled kickoff returns were enough to beat us...and then when you throw in the other 3 INTs which obviously didn't help either.

Early in the game it just seemed like a win that wasn't meant to be.

I just hope someone gave a Tim Tebow speech in the locker room after the game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

OK, so back to the title of the thread...
It was ridiculously lucky, but when I rewatched it I noticed that yet again the coverage man (#29 MF I think it was) had his back turned and no idea where the ball was. That's one thing on a hot back-shoulder throw, but shouldn't someone yell "ball" and the db turn around there? I'm not casting stones or saying I could play better, but looking for honest analysis of our CB technique to date this year.
Our coverage technique stinks...and has probably cost us a couple of national titles....at least.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Sips OP about the "lucky" break pass and the one where the lineman was downfield both came at critical moments when we were close to turning the Tide. Both were critical plays their offense made/benefited from that resulted in 14 points.

But it was really our own offensive miscues that killed us in this game.

Just the 10 points they got off the two fumbled kickoff returns were enough to beat us...and then when you throw in the other 3 INTs which obviously didn't help either.

Early in the game it just seemed like a win that wasn't meant to be.

We shall see Moon. We shall see.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

The whole game was just...weird. Like it was being played in another dimension or something. I've honestly never seen anything like it before, ever. I mean from the word go it was just a weird vibe. First I hear we're starting Bateman over Coker - in a very high profile conference opener no less. I immediately asked "What in the world are we doing?!". Very foolish in my opinion. I really think that started it all, just kind of unsettled the whole team somehow. By the time they made the switch, we were in the hole and things just snowballed from there. He wasn't perfect by any means, but I'd just about bet if Coker had played the whole way we would have won the game. I don't know, maybe he was sicker than we think. Who knows, maybe it will work out for the best in the end. I'll say this, after coming off the bench and dang near winning that train wreck of a game, Coker's confidence ought to be pretty high at this point.

Just to note, I went back and watched the game over again and firmly believe we just gave the thing away. Defense made a few mistakes, some at unfortunately critical times, but geez they were under immense pressure the whole game from the turnovers and bad field position. I'm not buying the struggle against the spread argument AT ALL. Yes, Humphrey came off his man on the QB option pass, but how can you blame the guy when the right guard is five yards up the field (along with the TE I believe)? For the most part, just about everything else OM hit on us were more conventional plays, and many of those on a short field after a turnover. Looking back at it, if we had just taken care of the football, we probably win by a couple of touchdowns or so.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

So........the moral of the story is that Bama needs to stop putting themselves in position where extraordinary play happens against them. Come out and play with a sense of urgency and physically beat up Ole Miss and none of this crap happiness.

This is pretty much as blunt as I can make it....get back to Bama football and stuff like that fluke play won't happen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

As much as some here sneer at the mention of Tebow's name, that speech saved their season and was responsible for that team's mindset for the remainder of the season. There are many articles with quotes by players on that team which recant the locker room after that loss. All speak of the same two things: Tebow's speech, and the resultant team resolution to totally destroy every opponent remaining on their schedule. And they reminded one another every day of their resolution - to dominate on every play - to crush the other team. Winning was no longer going to be going to be good enough.

That is what Alabama had and needs to find again. That mean attitude has been missing. That desire to whip the guy lined up across from them on every play, no matter the score. But that has to come from the locker room. I have no idea if you have that kind of leadership on this team. It is pretty rare.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

As much as some here sneer at the mention of Tebow's name, that speech saved their season and was responsible for that team's mindset for the remainder of the season. There are many articles with quotes by players on that team which recant the locker room after that loss. All speak of the same two things: Tebow's speech, and the resultant team resolution to totally destroy every opponent remaining on their schedule. And they reminded one another every day of their resolution - to dominate on every play - to crush the other team. Winning was no longer going to be going to be good enough.

That is what Alabama had and needs to find again. That mean attitude has been missing. That desire to whip the guy lined up across from them on every play, no matter the score. But that has to come from the locker room. I have no idea if you have that kind of leadership on this team. It is pretty rare.

Spot on...RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.